Conquest: Frontier Wars

Check out
http://www.ubisoft.com/conquestfrontierwars/

that's the official homepage.

The demo actually contain nothing more than skirmish and multiplayer modes fighting 1-3 AIs or humans using the Terran faction only.

Gameplay is rather similar to Armada or C&C, and in the end game is pretty hard. The AI is really tough, though.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Chris Roberts new game is out. Has anyone tried it yet? How is it? :confused:

Well, you can't say "Chris Roberts new game". I think the big boss in this one was Eric Peterson.
CR just gave the name.
You know, "the father of the Wing Commander games" is still a good way to sell games.

Re: Re: Conquest: Frontier Wars

Originally posted by Shooter

Well, you can't say "Chris Roberts new game". I think the big boss in this one was Eric Peterson.
CR just gave the name.
You know, "the father of the Wing Commander games" is still a good way to sell games.
Partially correct.
Apparently the game designing was started at Digital Anvil, before Microsoft purchased the company, hence Chris Roberts' involvement...

Here's the preview at GameSpot:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2780172,00.html

This futuristic real-time strategy game officially began life at Digital Anvil, the design studio founded by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame.
Best known for its space simgames, such as StarLancer and the upcoming Freelancer, Digital Anvil was preparing to venture into RTS territory with Conquest when publisher Microsoft pulled the plug on the project and purchased Digital Anvil. Conquest seemingly entered game design limbo before news surfaced recently that the project had actually been near completion months ago and would be published after all. Eric Peterson, the game's producer and designer, founded Fever Pitch Studios to finish the game and inked a publishing deal with Ubi Soft. (...)

So "A Chris Roberts Game" in this case means "A game that was made in part at the same company where Chris Roberts used to work."

Yes, though writing "A game that was made in part at the same company where Chris Roberts used to work" below the game title, would take too much space on the game box... <g>

I just pick up this game today at EB. I was just at this site and they have a forum for WC mod with this game.
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~conquest/zcom/cgi/index.cgi
With so much fan mod of WC going on you'll think EA would get a hint and do some new games base on WC.

As the open movie started it stated "Roberts Bros. Production". If you read the credits in the manual they got credit as "Producer" and Chris got credit for "Story and Scripts"

This game still freeze on me. So I need to work on this. The games story line does look good so far.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Chris Roberts new game is out. Has anyone tried it yet? How is it? :confused:

Read the box ("Conquest: Frontier Wars") in Best Buy today; seems far to "Homeworld-ish" for me; ergo, sucks BIG time

Re: Re: Conquest: Frontier Wars

Originally posted by Preacher

Read the box ("Conquest: Frontier Wars") in Best Buy today; seems far to "Homeworld-ish" for me; ergo, sucks BIG time
It's a more like Star Trek Armada. No Mothership and you need to build bases.

Ow, Preacher. You lost a lot of respect in my book. Homeworld is life defining... like a lesser version of CivII.

Originally posted by LeHah
Ow, Preacher. You lost a lot of respect in my book. Homeworld is life defining... like a lesser version of CivII.

here here, I spend a large portion of every day devoted to modding homeworld (hell it is fun to combine 4 things I love, 3d modeling, gaming, star trek (one of the mod teams I am on, and WC (I help out WCFA)

Ive NEVER heard ANYONE have anything bad to say about Homeworld. Im stunned. I mean with most games there are people who have good things and bad things to say but like Half-life, Homeworld doesnt have flaws.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Ive NEVER heard ANYONE have anything bad to say about Homeworld. Im stunned. I mean with most games there are people who have good things and bad things to say but like Half-life, Homeworld doesnt have flaws.

Awright, all you folks I've offended, listen up:

I apologize. "sucks big time" was my way (not a very good one, apparently) of saying that I'm BIG-TIME not into RTS games. The micromanagement involved in these types of games is just not my bag. Takes all the fun out of it. Just give me a mission, plop me in a fighter, wind me up, and watch me go. Keeping track of all the bogies out there, maintaining high SA, and frying kitties or bugs, all the while trying not to become a member of the Martin-Baker fan club, or getting toasted myself, is all the "management" I care to exert in a combat situation.

I've heard all the hoopla over Homeworld, just as y'all have. I'm sure HW is every bit as much an exemplar of that game genre as they say it is. I'm just surprised that so many fighter jocks would be that "into" such a disparate genre as that. Sorry if I hit some nerves--'twas not intentional

All you have to say is that you dont like that type of game. There are people who dont like a first person shooters, but that doesnt automatically mean Half-Life sucks.

Originally posted by Supdon3
All you have to say is that you dont like that type of game. There are people who dont like a first person shooters, but that doesnt automatically mean Half-Life sucks.

Righteeeo. Roger that. 10-4. Etc. etc....:)

I have played CFW's demo... and I can honestly say I will buy it simply because Chris Roberts was involved in some way. I probably won't even play it more than once through.

Back