Conquest Frontier Wars

Gimpy

2nd Lieutenant
This game came up in conversation between Frostytheplebe and myself the other day and thought I'd throw it out there for everyone else. Being a product of first DigitalAnvil, then published by Ubisoft, you couldnt help but think of WC with the mix of corvettes, battleships, carriers, and dreadnoughts (ever notice how the dreadnought and the WC movie Concordia look alike?). With the complexity introduced in ways such as supplies and 2-16 interconnected game maps, you couldnt help but feel as though you were playing an epic game. The tactics you could use agaisnt your enemies were downright devious, I follow the mantra "If you can build it, I will steal it!" with my marine transports. Before you know it, all those high priced units you just cranked out are being flown off by yours truly and coming back to haunt you real soon. Any good memories or strategy any one would like to share?

I haven't played this game in quite some time. But enjoyed it a lot and the story was pretty solid. There were a few missions that I had to do over several times to get the right strategy. Shame no one created a CFW2.

Haven't heard about this title for a long time.
I also thought that if there would be a WC strategie game it would most likely play like Frontier-Wars or should at least.
Okay there was Armada but that was kinda limited in what you could do. Still I remeber some funny sessions with it.

Back to CFW
I remeber that I liked to try to build carrier fleets. Not the most effective way in the game but still nice.

As for a CFW2, there was a alpha/beta with one or two levels that was allready playable. It was hard to get it running and it had quite some limitations...well IIRC so many that it feelt pretty much like just beeing a modified CFW1 instead of a complete new one but then, what do you aspect from such an early build.
Also I could never confirm that this one was realy a early build for CFW2 but there where some hints in it like the background with the 2 in the title and some changed interface stuff but then good modding groups might also be able to do that kind of stuff.

I injoyed this game alot and i was only able to get the trailer not a demo but would like to play it. As for tactics i used the lancer, battleship and carrier. lancer to attack a group at once battleships to attack throught to jump point and carriers to attatck from a safe point. I also thought this game should have gotten a mod or two and not patches but the game is still a great game to me.

The game becomes a headache when facing a Nightmare mantis AI. Give it a few minutes, and me and my LAN buddy would be easily swarmed. I'm talking about ONE Nightmare AI. I wonder how much it cheats.

The game becomes a headache when facing a Nightmare mantis AI. Give it a few minutes, and me and my LAN buddy would be easily swarmed. I'm talking about ONE Nightmare AI. I wonder how much it cheats.

I feel your pain, once I played just one nightmare level mantis with 3 AI's allies set to a lower difficulty grade....within 5-6mins all of them were wiped out!! It took roughly three hours and defensive playing to wear down the bugs, the kill count was insane.

Back