confused about ECM

kilolima

Spaceman
Does ECM work? I hit alt-e to start it up, but how do I know if it's working? Is there an indicator light or something? I don't notice any power drain or anything. After I land and launch again, do I need to restart the ECM? I can't tell if its off or on and if I've disabled or enabled it. Same for turret AI. The only indication I have that its working is that it shoots, but then its kind of late already... how about a few indicator lights for these features?! Just put them in the full screen hud since the cockpits are already crowded. Like a little red or green 'ECM' or 'T'.

And what's the little '1' under the jump fuel bar on the full screen hud display, directly above the forward radar? And also, what's the red-green bar below the jump fuel bar? Never seen it adjust for anything.

And another question, does the difference between your shield and reactor level affect how long it takes shields to recharge, or is that always constant?

cheers

kilolima

missiles shoudl hit you less---that could use a light,yes it might be there if you hit 'r' not sure though

as for turrets--not seeing an indicator in the near future--that ones tough to add...

for the 1 under the fuel bar--the blank cockpit was mostly designed for testing... not for gameplay--clearly ppl love it...someone should edit cockptis/disabled-cockpit/disabled-cockpit.cpt and make it more like the galaxy hud without the image... (paste it in tehre then remove the png images) and see how it plays
those other things are from vegastrike

kilolima said:
And another question, does the difference between your shield and reactor level affect how long it takes shields to recharge, or is that always constant?
Thicker shields take longer to recharge. Reactorlevel does not affect recharge time (unless your reactor doesn't provide enough power, in which case the shields never fully recharge)

hellcatv said:
for the 1 under the fuel bar--the blank cockpit was mostly designed for testing... not for gameplay--clearly ppl love it...someone should edit cockptis/disabled-cockpit/disabled-cockpit.cpt and make it more like the galaxy hud without the image... (paste it in tehre then remove the png images) and see how it plays
those other things are from vegastrike

I noticed that there's a line for ECM in the disabled-cockpit.cpt file...

I'm playing around with the centurion cockpit and the disabled cockpit to make it a little nicer currently. Could someone clue me in to the 'xcent and ycent' values for positioning screen elements? Is 0,0 in the middle of the screen and what is the max value for x,y?

Still undecided whether I like the old privateer ship shield/armor display or the vegastrike display. Is there someway to set the number of lines vegastrike draws for shields, instead of just three?

IIRC, in the old privateer, the targeting screen showed a topview line drawing of the enemy ship? And various parts of it changed color from green to yellow to red based on damage? Now did the damaged parts as indicated in the display correspond to actual damage on the ship, or was it random? It was a nice effect, but I wonder how difficult it would be to implement it in the remake?

kilolima said:
Now did the damaged parts as indicated in the display correspond to actual damage on the ship, or was it random?
Just like there were (and are) 4 regions of shield - front, rear, left, and right, there were four regions of armor/hull damge. If you shot the left side of a ship, its left side would turn red in your target display. Since in the original you would take directional damage (i.e. get shot in the front, guns and radar go bad, get shot in the rear, engines go bad), I assume the same appplied to the AI ships.

If you still have your old Privateer manual you can see screenshots of these things.

JKeefe said:
Just like there were (and are) 4 regions of shield - front, rear, left, and right, there were four regions of armor/hull damge. If you shot the left side of a ship, its left side would turn red in your target display. Since in the original you would take directional damage (i.e. get shot in the front, guns and radar go bad, get shot in the rear, engines go bad), I assume the same appplied to the AI ships.

If you still have your old Privateer manual you can see screenshots of these things.

Yep, but what never seemed to happen to the NPC ships that happened to the PC ships was massive engine damage causing the ship to go "dead in the water" like happened to me often enough. You could shoot out the engines and the darned things were STILL capable of out-stripping you in a fight. But you COULD shoot out their guns and make them helpless. And the pirates never said "This crate's about to explode!" until it really WAS about to explode. To which I ALWAYS say, then you shouldn't have shot at me in the first place. Usually just before they got the final shot in that sent me to Privateer Nirvanna.

kilolima said:
I'm playing around with the centurion cockpit and the disabled cockpit to make it a little nicer currently. Could someone clue me in to the 'xcent and ycent' values for positioning screen elements? Is 0,0 in the middle of the screen and what is the max value for x,y?
They are cartesian coordinates. 0,0 is the center, max values are 1, min values are -1. 1,1 is the upper right corner, -1,-1 is the lower left, -1,1 is the upper left, 1,-1 is the lower right.

Width and height are related. An element that takes up the full screen is 2 units wide.

Back