Conflict : Freespace The great war

You should probably ask this on the FS BB. Go to freespace2.com, and go to a section called "Forum". I liked the gameplay in FS, but it's heavily lacking in the story department.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Actually, it's got good story. What Earthworm means, is that it's lacking in the character department. You're just an ordinary pilot, not some great hero. For some people, this is unacceptable, but I kinda liked it.

At any rate, a WC Forum really isn't the right place for your question, as it will inevitably bring up another vile FS vs. WC debate, and we'll have to kill you all
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I don't mean just character development, I mean it doesen't have characters at all. I don't need to be a hero in a game, but the characters is what made the WC story so great. You actualy cared if one of the main characters died, I was fealing especialy low when Hobes went back to the cats, and than I had to kill him. Or when we saw the Claw destroyed, or the wrecage of the Concordia. In FS when your first carrier is destroyed I didn't care about that because I didn't *know* anyone onboard. Without those characters FS, and it's 10 minutes of CGI, is very empty, you just finish a mission and start a new one without any cutscenes. Sometimes you get a command briefing that's suposed to progress the story, but they actualy don't do that. The ending of FS is especialy disapointing. If someone doesen't care about a story, but wants some fast and chalenging gameplay FS is the game.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

I said "Character Department", not "Character Development", Earthworm
smile.gif
. Pay attention.

The destruction of the Galatea happened so suddenly that you really weren't given the time to give a damn, since you were already being sent back out there. This again shows how you're just a pilot, and how damned urgent the situation is. Mind you, you're quite correct in that some character interaction would have made the game twice as good as it was, but let's not get into that.

Not to mention FS2's ending...

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Quarto said:
I said "Character Department", not "Character Development", Earthworm
smile.gif
. Pay attention.

The destruction of the Galatea happened so suddenly that you really weren't given the time to give a damn, since you were already being sent back out there. This again shows how you're just a pilot, and how damned urgent the situation is. Mind you, you're quite correct in that some character interaction would have made the game twice as good as it was, but let's not get into that.

Yes you are just a pilot, and you do get back into action soon, but you're also human (well, I think so, we're not realy told just what the hell we are
biggrin.gif
) and it would hurt when you loose friends no matter if just few hours later you would have to go out and kick but again. And IMO, characters would make FS 100 times better.

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 24, 2000).]

Damn straight, or you could change your callsign to "Pilot"...

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Yes, it was hard. And the final mission is just brilliant. Of course, you feel kinda sick by the time you finish it, but what an original idea - to fight inside a wormhole.

It was a bit annoying though, how you had to keep playing each mission until you finished it successfully. I rather prefer it when there's a mission tree, rather than just a sequence of missions to be completed. And they could've done that easily, since they didn't have to stuff their CDs full of cutscenes.

Quarto said:
Yes, it was hard. And the final mission is just brilliant. Of course, you feel kinda sick by the time you finish it, but what an original idea - to fight inside a wormhole.

I thought it was stupid. After playing most of the game with shields, now they're gone, you move forward all the time, and manuvering is a bitch inside that thing, and the wingman AI is just stupid, they can barly destroy the reactors on the Lucifer. Not to mention the slowdowns I got on my computer during that mission.

It was a bit annoying though, how you had to keep playing each mission until you finished it successfully. I rather prefer it when there's a mission tree, rather than just a sequence of missions to be completed. And they could've done that easily, since they didn't have to stuff their CDs full of cutscenes.

Actualy acording to some people from the FS BB the cutscenes in FS are huge. The intro (yes the whole 1.5 minutes of it) is suposed to be over 100 megs, meanwhile the intro to WC4 with all those choices is about 167 MB, and that's about 30 minutes long.

FS1 tried something that OSI should've definitely used in WCP. Just see for yourself. As for the poor character-development... well, nothing's perfect, right? At least you get promoted not too rarely, and if you play it right, you get acres of medals as well. Hard game though. Although not as hard as Independence War, it is a worthy challenge.

What did FS have that WCP didn't? FS lacks in many areas, like not having nav points, or that you have to jump out at the end of each mission even if your carrier is right next to you. There was nothing original in FS, even the capship vs capship combat wasn't there, though all FS fans say there was, if I care about promotions in the game I would play WC1, but FS is very unrealistic in that area. The highest rank you can get is a Comodore, I mean what the hell is a Comodore doing in a fighter? Why do I get a medal every three missions, and get promoted every four? How does an ensign (the rank you start with) get to command a whole wing, and sometimes muliple wings, how can he chose what ships and weapons he'll take, why do we get a new fighter or weapon every two missions?

And about the character development, it isn't just poor, it isn't there at all.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: It always surprises me how you criticize FreeSpace simply because your computer was too slow. That's really not fair - you've got to experience a game the way the designers meant it to be. And don't tell me all about how your computer was good enough for WCP, so it should be enough for FS. FS is a different game - and being a WC fan, you should be used to having to buy a new computer with every game
smile.gif

We also commanded a wing as a measly 2nd Lieutenant back in WC 1, but I don't hear any complaints. The player is always in command, no matter what the game. In TIE Fighter, Darth Vader flies on your wing
smile.gif

As for your other complaints regarding the final mission, that's the whole point. A surprising new environment; a real challenge. I remember back in WC 3, before the first nebula mission Eisen told me that "only the best pilots can make the adaptation" - and then what? The only difference was that the screen was a dark purple instead of bluish-black. Utter disappointment.

I guess Origin couldn't take a chance that someone might not be one of the "best of pilots"
smile.gif

------------------
"Hey, leader, why us?"
"Because we're here, lads, because we're here."
-Action Stations

Vader on your wing? I got the impression it was the other way around. Not like those missions were hard enough for it to matter. Just sit back and watch him do his stuff...

Quarto said:
Earthworm: It always surprises me how you criticize FreeSpace simply because your computer was too slow. That's really not fair - you've got to experience a game the way the designers meant it to be. And don't tell me all about how your computer was good enough for WCP, so it should be enough for FS. FS is a different game - and being a WC fan, you should be used to having to buy a new computer with every game
smile.gif

I'm not criticizing it because my comp is old, but that mission does cause more slowdowns than *normal* missions. I've seen my friens play the game on newer computers, and it still run slow. Also, I've been a wingnut since late 97, so I didn't realy have to buy a new computer. Never.
biggrin.gif

We also commanded a wing as a measly 2nd Lieutenant back in WC 1, but I don't hear any complaints. The player is always in command, no matter what the game. In TIE Fighter, Darth Vader flies on your wing
smile.gif

Yeah, but that wing was only two people, and in WC1 it's at least explained that halcyon want's the rookies to learn how to command a wing, in FS there's four people in a wing, and sometimes two times as much.

As for your other complaints regarding the final mission, that's the whole point. A surprising new environment; a real challenge. I remember back in WC 3, before the first nebula mission Eisen told me that "only the best pilots can make the adaptation" - and then what? The only difference was that the screen was a dark purple instead of bluish-black. Utter disappointment.

You could crash into the ground.
smile.gif
And there were those little anoying tanks.

------------------
Gen. Patton

There was no ground in the nebula missions, Earthworm
smile.gif

Quarto said:
There was no ground in the nebula missions, Earthworm
smile.gif

My bad, I didn't read your whole post. It was to long.
smile.gif
Still, what did you expect in that nebula? It did mess up your sensors a little, and that purple color was actualy anoying for me.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Too long? Why, you fur-brained...
smile.gif

Well, when Eisen said that nebula flying is dangerous and all that, I expected just a bit more than an (extremely, for me
wink.gif
) annoying colour.

Quarto said:
Well, when Eisen said that nebula flying is dangerous and all that, I expected just a bit more than an (extremely, for me
wink.gif
) annoying colour.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded something like from Master of Orion or ST2:TWOK, where nebulas make shielding impossible. Hell, or even limiting sensor/comm range, as in FS2. <duck>

As for the actual effects in WC3, the only difficulty I had was in visually acquiring targets at range. The sensors, though, made it pretty easy to overcome that by getting close, where the dust doesn't obscure things as much.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Which Master of Orion do you mean? I or II?

I think that FS was actually very innovative when it came to such things. Of course, there were no nebulas in FS, but there were asteroids, and there you also had limited sensor/comm range. I don't care what Earthworm says about FS - whether it had characters or not, it still had quite a few gameplay features that Origin should've thought of a long time ago.

Back