Computer Help

Cricket

Spaceman
I just need a it of help getting my new computer to work right.

I can't run like any of the programs I used to have. I'm not sure why it does it but it but my games just don't work anymore.

The only one that still works okay is Prophecy, but it freezes up a lot. It used to do that on my old computer too, so it's nothing new.

Anyone know why this happens?

It would help if you told us your system specs, the programs you're having problems with, what kind of problems, etc. Prophecy has a problem with Voodoo 2, Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 3 boards. There's a patch for that in our files section. Other than that I can't tell you what to do without further information... (re)installing DirectX 7a might fix some things.

Last edited:
Okay, guess I shoulda thoght of that before.

I have 550 mHz computer with 32x CD drive, Yamaha sound, and a Voodoo 3. The modem's is 56,700 I think.

That's about it.

Right, so the patch from the Files section will fix all the freezing up. What other problems are you having?

Or are any of them Freespace2, because that thing freezes up more often on my new p3 667mhz than I blink in a day.
mad.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
667? What the hell kind of clockspeed is that? Anyway, Cricket, if you replaced some parts of your system (and kept the OS), that could be the cause of a lot of your problems. In my experience, replacing the primary video board without reinstalling Windows is asking for an ass kicking.

There was a 667 Pentium, I believe so, and not just because NR has one. Also, 2 things, if it's a new computer, and it's off the shelf, try this, when you computer boots, hit Ctrl, Alt Del, ONCE, (not twice) and look at what's running, if it's a store bought sys, chances are, you'll see a bunch of BS running here, use "end task" to shut down everything but Explorer, and Systray, then go to start, programs, start up. What do you see here? A bunch of stuff you don't need when you start up everytime prolly. If it's Win98, which it prolly is, just right click on the items you don't want running behind the scenes in you computer,and click delete, this won't delete the program, just the shortcut being used.
Try this, and if it still locks up, email me, I'm an expert at finding lockup fixes. I've finally got my system stable, and have fixed numerous computers at my school with pretty much the same problem.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited April 20, 2000).]

I think the 667 should have been the 666 but they didnt want religous nuts attacking them (the heart of the antichrist!!! Apocalypse Inside!!! etc...) so they just gave it another mhz.

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

Funny. I usually don't have to reinstall Windoze every time I change a video board. I just change the board type to standard VGA, reboot, turn off the computer, switch boards, turn on the computer and install the new drivers/software.

And for people looking for new IDE HD's, take one that has UDMA66 (if the MB supports it). There's just on snag with it: I can't record any CD with DMA access active on any drive in my system.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited April 20, 2000).]

Thanks for offering Knight, but I've found like 30+ people in 1 day with the same problem and they couldn't find a solution either. It all depends on luck. Some days I can play it for an entire day without problems another day it craps out on me every 2 minutes.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I got a completely new computer, and its a 550. I didn't swap any parts or anything like that.

The games that don't work on the new one are WC2, WC3, WC4, Worms 2, F-22, and Seawolf. Pretty much every game I have except for Prophecy.

Oh yeah, reason I took so long answering was cause I was gone for easter.

Hell, I feel lucky after reading this.
After struggling with an underpowered, overused P200, I bought a Athlon 500 with all the trimmings and in four months I haven't had a single problem (apart from my bank balance
smile.gif
).
My advice is never, ever buy anything off the shelf.
If you can't build it yourself, find someone who can.

------------------
Beer:
'Helping ugly people have sex since 1862!!'

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
The Fanfiction Archives

Damn right... that's what I've been telling people for years... but they don't listen, and that makes me cry :~(

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

*sobbing desperatly* But it was so cheaheap!!
frown.gif

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Actually, all the games that don't work are are DOS. The problem is they just won't do anything when I click on the symbols.

What's your Operating System? Some people (like me) can run almost every DOS game from Windows, while some can't get any to run. Do they still work in DOS?

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited April 30, 2000).]

Back