Compute! Reviews Wing Commander (March 9, 2017)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
As promised on Monday, here are scans of Compute! magazine's three reviews of Wing Commander games. The original Wing Commander was reviewed in the February 1991 issue. The article is glowing and even spends its first third on an in-person narrative about the experience of fighter combat in the 27th century! The November 1993 issue reviewed Wing Commander Academy, giving it a positive verdict. Finally, the February 1994 issue reviews Privateer.

--
Original update published on March 9, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I think this article was my first ever exposure to Wing Commander. The fiction had me hooked from the very start! I read all the books, every review, even had the strategy guides, but I never actually got the chance to play WC until Super Wing Commander came out for Mac in 1995! I remember getting it in the mail the DAY I had to move cross country with my dad. 2 days of torturous driving in a moving truck, reading every iota of documentation. Formulating my battle plans. Staring at the shiny CD flashing in the sun. When we finally got the computer set up on a makeshift pile of boxes, it was heaven! We still had to unpack the truck, but we kept catching each other playing missions in between boxes. Unpause, snap off a volley of neutron rounds, jink left, right, get back on his tail and...pause. More boxes!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Back