Comm suggestion

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Is it possible to make characters like Lieutenant Ewan Freyers appear on the fighters´s comm VDUs? I mean, when you talk to your wingmen, the comm VDU shows a helmet moving around, like if it was talking. Since you have drawn Lieutenant Ewan Freyers (Lionheart´s Comm Officer), can you make 3 or 4 more drawings, make a .gif with them and show the guy on the comm VDU, like if he was talking?

Yes, that's exactly why I'm creating (borrowing, actually) faces for the characters :) The picture on the site is actually one of the frames from Lt. Freyers' animations.

Lyp-synch is out of the question though, since we'd need too many frames to do that (Freyers, for example, has around 60 lines of speech during the Prologue's 7 missions).

The way we're doing it, every character has about 5 seconds of animation which loop around while he/she's talking.

"Special" pilots (as in, characters relevant to the game's plot) will also have their callsigns painted on their helmets (WC2-style, but with a dark visor). Other pilots will use generic all-black helmets.

I'm also considering giving faces to the special pilots, just to use on the website, and add some more personality to the characters.

--Eder

Well, that´s great then! :)

BTW, nice job on those corvettes. You said they will be tough to kill, because of the laser turrets. Why don´t you add some of the same turrets to the big capships? They are way too easy to take out in the Vision engine (and in WC in general) and that would be a way to prevent that a single light bomber takes out easily a ship like the Concordia, for instance.

Eder is planning to use Flak cannons.I dont think its gonna be easy to destroy a cap ship in Standoff........

So load them up with Flak cannons, like that supply depot in WC2 (Korah Pokh). If he uses WC1 flak, I´ll just ram the capships turrets with my Broadsword, like I usually do in WCP/SO. :(

You know, take Secret Ops, for instance. You take out 6 or 7 major capships during the entire game. All you gotta do is clean the fighter cover, then you have a sitting duck waiting to be torpedoed. I say give´em nasty turrets, place them around the critical components (bridge, engines) and give them some Triton AI to destroy any incoming torpedoes. That way, besides sweeping enemy fighters, you´ll have to deal with a WC Armada-capship-like firepower and, if you survive that, you get to take out the capship.

Flak is cooler. Flak is great. I miss flak. Eder is a genius to put flak back into Standoff. Turrets sucks. Flak rules !

As long as he makes killing capships a real challenge, he can use even catapults.

He could use flak cannons to keep fighters from getting close easily and place some turrets around the engines and the bridge, to knock down torpedoes. But I guess he has everything planned already, we´ll just have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Starkey
So load them up with Flak cannons, like that supply depot in WC2 (Korah Pokh).If he uses WC1 flak, I´ll just ram the capships turrets with my Broadsword, like I usually do in WCP/SO. :(
Actually, there were two supply depots you destroy in WC2-one with Doomsday in Noveya Kiev, and the one you and Angel take out while the Concordia hides in the asteroid field.

Also, the supply depots only had 2 flak cannons. I always thought that was a bit strange, since the Supply Depots always put up a lot more anti-fighter fire than the Concordia did, and Concordia had 3 flak cannons. K'tithrak Mang had 2 cannons, and it didn't put out as much flak as the Supply Depots either.

If he uses WC1 flak, I´ll just ram the capships turrets with my Broadsword, like I usually do in WCP/SO. :(
Ramming the turrets? When did you find that necessary? Or was it just you wanted to have some fun with the little buggies instead of shooting them?

Capships will have a mix of flak turrets and regular gun turrets. The Concordia, for instance, has about 5 flak turrets, IIRC, and about 10 regular turrets.

Capships are much harder to kill than in WCP, mainly for two reasons:
a) bombers carry less torpedoes, while most capital ships have more vital components: destroyers have 2 vital components (same as WCP bug ships), but anything larger, such as cruisers and carriers, have 3 or 4 vital components (the obvious exception is the Hakaga, which will have at least 7 vital components, maybe 8...)
b) turrets are more dangerous: flak turrets are a *real* pain in the ass, and are also harder to destroy than regular gun turrets... which are in turn twice as hard to destroy as WCP turrets.

Just to illustrate all of this, CVEs have 2 mass driver turrets in the lower part of the bow, 2 particle turrets in the stern, 1 laser turret near the bridge deck, 2 laser turrets below the ship, and 1 flak turret on the upper part of the bow...

And BTW, we're still trying to figure out wheter stuff like AMGs and the PTC can be implemented :)

--Eder

Originally posted by SabreAce
Actually, there were two supply depots you destroy in WC2-one with Doomsday in Noveya Kiev, and the one you and Angel take out while the Concordia hides in the asteroid field.

I was talking about the depot that you take out with Angel. A tough kill.

Ramming the turrets? When did you find that necessary? Or was it just you wanted to have some fun with the little buggies instead of shooting them?

Give it a try... just fly close to a bug capship, point to a turret and start ramming it. That´ll kill the turret faster than your tachyons, and you will get off with little damage to your shields. It is kinda funny, but it also sucks. I didn´t find it necessary, but it is something that can actually be done.

Originally posted by Eder
Capships are much harder to kill than in WCP, mainly for two reasons:
And BTW, we're still trying to figure out wheter stuff like AMGs and the PTC can be implemented :)

--Eder

Well, yay again! Can´t wait to play that game! If you can figure out how to display the AMGs, which kind of damage will they make? (the PTC´s damage is obvious - total annihilation :D )

Well, yay again! Can´t wait to play that game! If you can figure out how to display the AMGs, which kind of damage will they make? (the PTC´s damage is obvious - total annihilation :D )
Well, AMGs would probably mean total annihilation for anything that's weaker than a Crossbow. The problem, though, is not how to display the AMGs. We have a big nasty bullet for them already... the problem is that AMGs would probably only be fired in capship-to-capship combat, and I'm not sure it works very well in the Vision engine. Quarto probably knows wheter we can do this or not, but I don't think I've discussed this with him yet.

--Eder

Could the AMG's be done similar to the gun on the Cerberus from Secret Ops? Randomly fire (more slowly, of course) at the enemy cap ship, and set a damage point level where something like 5 AMG shots would take out a ship? Something like, instead of having shield generators like WCP did, make it so the cap ships just have the normal anti-fighter gun shielding, but can be shot immediately with torps and AMGs. Then, give the AMG the ability to ignore shields. I think there's something similar in that WCPEdit program.

I apologize if I come off sounding rather dumb and uninformed as to modding a game-I know very, very little. The extent of my modding is giving WCP ships/missles/guns the characteristics of WC2 ships with WCPEdit, but not changing any graphics or creating anything new.

For the PTC...will it be a giant pink ball that looks like it came out of a giant particle cannon like it did in WC2's game engine, or more like the plasma torpedo sort of thing (the Star Trek fan in me comes out :D) from near the end of Special Operations 2, when Concordia blows a Kamekh apart? Assuming of course that you can use it in the game/a rendered cut scene. I myself would prefer the plasma torp.

Could the AMG's be done similar to the gun on the Cerberus from Secret Ops? Randomly fire (more slowly, of course) at the enemy cap ship
Yes, that's probably how it'll work if we decide to include it. This way, the AMGs won't damage capships though (well, they will if they hit, but the problem is that capships don't know how to aim at other's ships components - they just aim at the center of the enemy capship's main hull).

...and set a damage point level where something like 5 AMG shots would take out a ship?
Maybe, yes, but I'm not sure. Like I said, we'd need to figure out how to get capships to aim at individual components. Also, this would tremendously unbalance missions, since as much as we tried to make things always happen within some limits, the same mission could be a lot harder/easier if some unlucky fighter(s) crossed the path of the AMG shots, thus leaving around a capship that was supposed to be gone already.

Something like, instead of having shield generators like WCP did, make it so the cap ships just have the normal anti-fighter gun shielding, but can be shot immediately with torps and AMGs. Then, give the AMG the ability to ignore shields.
If we could mess around with capship shields that much, it'd be heaven :p I could make torpedoes lock on the hull instead of on separate components, make torpedoes lock on corvettes, etc., and make everything more WC2-like. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this is far out of our possibilities

For the PTC...will it be a giant pink ball that looks like it came out of a giant particle cannon like it did in WC2's game engine, or more like the plasma torpedo sort of thing (the Star Trek fan in me comes out :D) from near the end of Special Operations 2, when Concordia blows a Kamekh apart? Assuming of course that you can use it in the game/a rendered cut scene. I myself would prefer the plasma torp.
I tend to favor the highest-resolution source available, so the PTC would look like the one we see in the SO2 cutscene.

If we add either the PTC or the AMGs, it'll probably be just a nifty gimmick... the PTC would definitely have to be a scripted event, and the AMGs would probably not damage capships, they'd just act as fireworks instead. Pretty bolts, pretty explosions, and of course, certain death for fighters. But damaging or destroying capships this way would probably be too hard to script or, even if we could do it, too potentially dangerous and difficult to control as far as mission balance goes.

--Eder

Well, AMGs would probably mean total annihilation for anything that's weaker than a Crossbow. The problem, though, is not how to display the AMGs. We have a big nasty bullet for them already... the problem is that AMGs would probably only be fired in capship-to-capship combat, and I'm not sure it works very well in the Vision engine. Quarto probably knows wheter we can do this or not, but I don't think I've discussed this with him yet.
I think the simplest way to implement AMGs is the way we implemented the Venture's forward guns. This would, however, limit their effectiveness quite a bit, because they would only fire if something was directly in front of them. Effective enough if you want anti-capship fireworks, I guess. The problem with this solution is the refire rate... IIRC, all turrets fire at the same rate, right?

As for the PTC... that's a job for our inanimate carbon box ;).

What effect the AMGs would have on other capships, BTW, is pretty much irrelevant. Capship battles are too important to leave to chance, they should all be scripted.

Also, the supply depots only had 2 flak cannons. I always thought that was a bit strange, since the Supply Depots always put up a lot more anti-fighter fire than the Concordia did, and Concordia had 3 flak cannons. K'tithrak Mang had 2 cannons, and it didn't put out as much flak as the Supply Depots either.
Oh, allow me to shed some light on this matter - the in-game stats are different to what the manual says. The Supply Depot in fact has four flak turrets. To make things more fun, the Dorkathi has three flak turrets. That's why the Novaya Kiev mission is such a nightmare - since there's Dorkathi parked alongside the Depot, you're going up against seven flak turrets :eek:.

[...]This way, the AMGs won't damage capships though (well, they will if they hit, but the problem is that capships don't know how to aim at other's ships components - they just aim at the center of the enemy capship's main hull).

Maybe, yes, but I'm not sure. Like I said, we'd need to figure out how to get capships to aim at individual components.
[...]
If we could mess around with capship shields that much, it'd be heaven :p I could make torpedoes lock on the hull instead of on separate components, make torpedoes lock on corvettes, etc., and make everything more WC2-like. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this is far out of our possibilities
I't not out of our possibilities at all. We discussed it for UE but didn't use the idea after all: just make capships with one single component: the main hull. Even capship component names are editable, so this is not a problem.

Having capships with a single components that constitute the whole ship would not only make things as they were in WC2, but also permit capship battles, as the dumb capship AI will simply fire on the main hull of it's adversary and effectively blow the capship.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
I't not out of our possibilities at all. We discussed it for UE but didn't use the idea after all: just make capships with one single component: the main hull.

I like that idea... Maybe you could set a high number of torpedo hits necessary to take out each capship´s hull. That´s something to think further, I guess.

Originally posted by Quarto
Oh, allow me to shed some light on this matter - the in-game stats are different to what the manual says. The Supply Depot in fact has four flak turrets. To make things more fun, the Dorkathi has three flak turrets. That's why the Novaya Kiev mission is such a nightmare - since there's Dorkathi parked alongside the Depot, you're going up against seven flak turrets :eek:.
A ha! So the manual was again wrong. I'm not entirely surprised. So does this mean that the flak cannon count on other ships is off as well i.e. K'tithrak Mang only having 2?

I never had that much trouble with the Novaya Kiev mission though. Go in for one torpedo shot (though it did get kind of hairy once you got in close), and while leaving, shoot the Dorkathi with the Broadsword's mass drivers, then switch to turrets as I went past. Didn't have to worry about the transport after that. Then, depending on damage levels, I'd either head in for the second torpedo run, or let Doomsday handle it if I was heavily damaged.

Maybe you could set a high number of torpedo hits necessary to take out each capship´s hull
Sounds like a good idea, but then it might unbalance the torpedoes. If it's set up that an AMG shot equals, say, 4 torpedo strikes, then when it takes 3 AMG shots to destroy a destroyer (I think that's the number of hits a Ralatha took from the William Tell-in the Tesla system, IIRC), you need 12 torpedoes to do the same thing, if everything is kept fairly relative to each other. And since the torpedo carriage levels are only doubled (I think that's the amount Eder said), that means that you'd need a whole squadron of Broadswords and maybe a few modified Sabres to deal with just a couple of ships. Although, that's probably more realistic, to send a squadron after one or two ships (as opposed to WC2's method of sending 2 fighters after a fleet).

Gotten a little off topic from the original comm question, haven't we? :D

What about Kilrathi Cockpit Animations? What are they going to look like? Are their going to be Special Animation for Kilrathi Aces? And what about Pirates? Are they going to have Confed Animations or special once like the once in WC4?

We're probably going to borrow WCP's own animations for the Kilrathi comms, this would save me a *lot* of time. Pirates will have their own animations... probably some variation on the Confed animations (a different helmet, etc).

--Eder

Originally posted by Quarto
That's why the Novaya Kiev mission is such a nightmare - since there's Dorkathi parked alongside the Depot, you're going up against seven flak turrets.
While I feel I might be a weaker pilot than some other players here, I never seemed to have much problem with WC2, if only because it was my first WC game. Or maybe I'm just more patient. I just cleared out the fighters, then approached the Dorkathi in a way which would leave the supply depot furthest away. After killing the transport, it's simply a regular torpedo run.

Back