Cockpits?

eddieb said:
The rapier 2 model was slower because it had more polygons.

It's not only the poly count that slowed this model, it's also the huge textures that the model uses (6 jpgs at 512x512 and 1 at 128x128). I had put a model with nearly 10000 polys (and 14000 normals) and it run just a very little slower than the others, but i'm using a 256x256 bmp!

That's pretty impressive. I have another question. I found out what the problem was. My 3d program when it exports .obj it doesn't export the textures so it doesn't create a .mtl file. Any suggestions on what I can do for the textures? (i.e. free programs that will convert a say .3ds file etc to a .obj with a .mtl file as well?)

I've tried a bunch of 3d progs: Anim8tor, Wings3D and Milkshape 3d. Well, the only one that can do a fully working object is Milkshape 3D. They have a 30 day trial for free.
The other progs miss something that make the object incompatible with FC.

free easy way to convert files
Lithunwrap

I even just tried it right now to make sure before i posted it would work:

exported a file from c4d as a .3ds, opened the .3ds in lithunwrap, saved it as an .obj and lith created the .mtl with the .obj in my saved destination.

again lithunwrap is entirely free

Venom, could you please email me the following cockpits soon, as I want to get out a beta 1.4 with them.

Shrike and Vaktoth

Hey, Vemon has inspired me to work on the BW huds and here is the first shot of it.

Attachments

• BW-Fhud.jpg
    BW-Fhud.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 272
If you're going for a greenish look, you could ask the UE folks to use theirs. They were already kind enough to lend the red theme. That would provide new oval, auto, eject, and lock icons.

My goodness, Eddie. Did you have to go through and separate all hud "items" and then paste the alphas into the pic files with photoshop?

Or is there something I'm missing that will incorporate the alphas with the hud file from which I can separate out the required pics?

Or more simply put, what general steps did you follow to convert the hud pictures?

Edit: After some doing, I got it to work, but only mininally as the some of the old auto stuff got transposed over it, including color. Aggravating really considering the number of times I've trys just to get this far--well that and I can't keep working on it because of tomorrow's classes. :( :( :(

Iceblade said:
My goodness, Eddie. Did you have to go through and separate all hud "items" and then paste the alphas into the pic files with photoshop?

Or is there something I'm missing that will incorporate the alphas with the hud file from which I can separate out the required pics?

Or more simply put, what general steps did you follow to convert the hud pictures?

Edit: After some doing, I got it to work, but only mininally as the some of the old auto stuff got transposed over it, including color. Aggravating really considering the number of times I've trys just to get this far--well that and I can't keep working on it because of tomorrow's classes. :( :( :(

My converter spits out .pngs with alpha channels all ok. I use GIMP. I then separated the hud items into separate files. Look at my files to see what needs to be centered and what does not. If you're using UE stuff get permission first.

Yeah, finally got the pics to convert correctly and a system to do it as well. Should have a new cockpit soon.

Well, here is my current progress with this. All that is left are the 2d files for all the weapons and few things to figure out how I'm going to deal with.

The text for vel, set, and time are off with the background "ovals". I also noticed that time has its own "oval" which is slightly longer then the ones for vel and set.

I also am not sure how to change the full guns to something else-perferably a png as it allows for an alpha.

Well here are the pics: the first one is from UE for comparision and the second is the hud I have so far.

Attachments

• BWhudshot1.jpg
    BWhudshot1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 247
  • hudBW.jpg
    hudBW.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 245
Okay, I am back at editing the cockpit. Man eddie, it is so easy when using that gimp program. The hardest part now is just getting the selection.

Alright I have a few screenshots of the new huds. There is still some improvement needed (more from a code side than anything else) but most of the job is finished.

Attachments

• RG-HudG1.jpg
    RG-HudG1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 213
  • RG-HudG2.jpg
    RG-HudG2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 214
  • RG-HudG3.jpg
    RG-HudG3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 207
Back