Clive Owen Joins Luc Besson's Valerian (August 22, 2015)

KrisV

Administrator
English actor Clive Owen is going back into space. Reports say he's been cast in the lead role of Valerian in the live-action adaptation of a long-running French comic series. The actor joins director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element, L?(C)on) and co-stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne in the big budget sci-fi epic. Owen has previously starred in such blockbusters as Children of Men, Elizabeth: The Golden Age and The International, but he is perhaps best known for portraying Lev Arris in Privateer 2.

Valerian is a saga for every fan of intergalactic high adventure. The stories are gripping and of epic proportion, sweeping along in thrilling, hyper-space speed.

The intrepid Valerian and his beautiful, sharp-witted and sharp-tongued partner, Laureline, are two of the greatest agents for the vast Galaxity organization. Their missions have taken all corners of the distant past, the present, and the far future. They have seen incredible alien worlds and vistas, met amazing creatures and beings from other planets, and braved dangers to last a thousand lifetimes.

But now the Galaxity, and their home of Earth in the 28th century, are gone -- vanished as if they never existed! Alone, and totally dependent on their own resources, they struggle to carve out a new life and a new future against intergalactic dangers from the past, present, and future.

--
Original update published on August 22, 2015

Last edited:
Sci-fi... Lev Arris, And Luc Besson? Sign me up!

Leon, La Femme Nikita, and The Fifth element are all among some of my favorite films. I enjoyed lucy, though overall I don't think Besson's most recent directorial efforts match his earlier work. But he does have an eye for silly, entertaining popcorn fun with most of his writer/producer credits through his Europacorp endeavors (Taken, Transporter and on and on)

He's making a Valérian movie? Fuck yeah! Just for an idea, the whole 23rd century New York from Fifth Element is directly taken from one of the Valerian:

les-cercles-du-pouvoir-page.jpg

5element_meziere.jpg

Plus, given the pitch, it seems they are working on the third arc of the series, where after messing up quite a bit, they end up cancelling the 1985 apocalypse that led directly to their future Earth, and they survive as privateers of sort, owning the one and only time-travelling ship of the known universe. This series is pretty much the French version of Doctor Who, but as a space-opera rather than what the British show presents.

Indeed there are some big name actors in the live-action games. Sir John Hurt for example.

Anyway, I think I can safely say from my research this is the most influential French comic I've never heard until now.

Indeed there are some big name actors in the live-action games. Sir John Hurt for example.

Anyway, I think I can safely say from my research this is the most influential French comic I've never heard until now.
And it's really good, until the last two or three, where IMO, the quality took a dive. But the others... damn awesome.

Back