CIC Staff Credits...?

Max Gene

Spaceman
To keep it simple- I'd seen LOAF mention elsewhere that his name was in the credits of various official WC works, awesomely enough.

After having lost a Prophecy GBA mission, I decided to watch the credits just once, bored in the car... and lo and behold in special thanks, not only Ben Lesnick, but also Chris Reid and KrisV! (Can't remember the full name off the top of my head- sorry dude).

My question being, were there others who contributed to the "official" WC works at the CIC, and what did you do?

(I'm sure this is a decade old discussion... but hey, it's still awesome :cool:)

Prophecy GBA is the only title that we're all credited on (plus Joe and Paula Garrity from the Origin Museum.) That's because we really did quite a bit for that project. EA didn't have any Prophecy-related resources for the guys at Raylight to work from, so they asked us for help (we'd plugged their 'Star Giants' tech demo which got them the job in the first place!)

We tracked down the original 3D models, all the actor continuity photos, the original music, etc. for them. We even created a gameflow script for the original game - and then edited it down for them (the edits ultimately weren't used - originally they were going to have 3D cutscenes which would have taken up more space and required scenes and plots be removed from the game.)

Chris and I are both credited on Wing Commander Arena - Sean Penney at EA, who is an incredible and dedicated producer, bounced questions off of us about Wing Commander continuity constantly for several months. We even got to go up to Vancouver and test out a build for them at one point. There's all sorts of other stories to tell about that, but we probably can't yet.

Chris, ace, Akkbar and I all got credits of sorts in Wing Commander Prophecy -- there's star systems named after us. Beyond that, I think it's just me. I helped out with the movie novels, the Handbook and False Colors... and am credited in at least two of those. In all of those instances, though, the CIC staff did help - I couldn't do anything without Chris, ace, Hades, Kris, Frosty and everyone else. The general community, too, was absolutely essential...

(Also, there have been several projects with EA that Chris and I were involved with that died - I'm not sure how long we have to wait to tell those stories...)

I guess it's pretty agonizing to know all this wonderful stuff and not being able to talk about it freely. Or do you enjoy feeding us little bits? :)

Oh, it's very frustrating - I really wish people could see how often folks at EA try to do something with Wing Commander... and how dedicted the people who work on those projects really are.

Holy crap, that's incredible. You guys contributed a ton to the game that helped get me into WC in the first place and here I am talking to you like it's nothing.

I gotta say, thanks to you guys for BEING such wingnuts :D

I'm honestly pretty surprised that someone got into Wing Commander because of the GBA game... it's an excellent title and absolutely groundbreaking in terms of technology (I think 3D stuff is fairly common for GBA games now... it wasn't then!) -- but I wasn't aware that many people outside of our group even played it. :)

The multiplayer is a lot of fun, too, if you have three friends...

Ha, well, it wasn't exactly in large supply around here- the only copy I _ever_ recall seeing was the one that I bought in Meijer for 10 bucks... and it was pretty nice, if occaisonally confusing (eventually I learned to stop giving my wingmen orders and just fly the missions. to the same effect.)

Well worth the $10 in every aspect :D

That's the other thing I worry about with WCP GBA -- it's an amazing port for someone who *already* knows what's going on in Prophecy... but I've always wondered whether or not the story even begins to come across to someone who hasn't.

Holy crap, that's incredible. You guys contributed a ton to the game that helped get me into WC in the first place and here I am talking to you like it's nothing.

I gotta say, thanks to you guys for BEING such wingnuts :D

I try to promote stuff like Prophecy Advance as being another avenue for us to grow, so it's great to hear of actual cases where this happens. For each person that signs up at Crius.net, there's a few dozen more that just visit the front page or lurk, so I'd like to think this happens even more frequently.

Another near thing about Prophecy is that the GBA release in Europe had a slightly expanded manual. We are also credited there in addition to the game. The Euro version also has an ICIS interface startup menu where you pick the language for the game with flags from various countries.

what does AE think of the fan based wc games? do they ever consider doing spinoffs of them to fill in the gaps in the history and for god sakes are they going to ever do a sequal of prequel???

---------------------
If I was a woman I'd be a slut, a lesbien slut.

EA has always been both impressed by and kind towards the amazing fan projects -- but for obvious legal reasons they can't legally support or even acknowledge them.

Back