Cats vrs bugs...

Psych0

Spaceman
Which is harder to fly aginst, the cats or the bugs? i have only played prophecy and WCII so Im not sure, they both seemed pretty easy to me, but hey maybe im mistaken....

------------------
"We're gonna blow some shit up and burn some shit down, some of us may not come back and to those who don't I say thank you for the effort and hope you like hell..."

Jake "Psych0" Spaid
Captain of the TCS DarkCircus

They both are equally easy... if you put set the game on rookie/invulnerable. Not that I, uh, do that sort of, uh, thing.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

the Kats are the harder of the two. Better weapons, more powerful ships, and, well, other than that there isnt much to say in Prophecy. There is no AI difference I noted.

For those who debate the better ships, try switching them sometime. A Dralthi is infinitely more survivable then the Moray, and the Vaktoth, while a lumbering beast, at least has a tailgun and a reasonable payload. Not even possible to say about the Manta (what, total three guns and the same of missiles?)

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

The Cats are more badass than the bugs.

------------------
And I was stupid enough to think that us brotha's had to stick togetha. :p

Yeah, from my WC II experience, I'd have to agree that the Cats were much more of a challenge, their AI showed me a lot more variance (sp?) and tactics, though flying against the Bugs was equally as fun. And I don't recall taking down any Kilrathi fighter in 1 shot, though full guns wasn't an option in WC II. (At least I don't remember it).

------------------
"We are here to do a job. Protect the Confederation and everything it stands for. Now let's get out there and kill some damn bugs." - Ryan "JesteR" Smith, CAG of the TCS Dark Circus

You can't judge them. WCP didn't have a good enough AI, so there's no comparison.
But personally, I'm willing to bet that if they had the same level of AI, you wouldn't get very far in WCP...

Oh, and those who say that Kilrathi ships are better... when did you last fight against twenty Vaktoths? Because you sure as hell get to fight against twenty Mantas.

I agree with Quarto, the prophecy AI is very bad...
frown.gif

The bug ships are more weak, ok, but their numbers are far superior. Specially in SO.

------------------
Only a complete fool is absolutely sure about what he says
Are you absolutely sure about this?
Yes, i am...i mean...do'h

Last edited by a moderator:
The's nothing like the big cats. The Kilrathi get my vote.

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Hm, IMO the Prophecy AI is better…… The only reason why WC2 is harder is that the Kilrathi ships are stronger than the bugs when compared to your ship, and that you can be killed when you crash into something. Oh, and there are those extra challenging missions in WC2, you know, the ones in the Epee

The Cats are tougher. Definately. Sure in WC:SO the Bugs attack your Cap Ship's guns if they have no torps... But the Cats had Skippers in 3, and Shok'Lars (sp?) in 2, 3, Armada, and they give you a cloaker in 4. And THEY (not the bugs) survive in the WC P missions, don't they... Even if you sit around, and shoot what shoots you.

The Cats are tougher than we think. And they fired missiles at you. When we only had Chaff Pods... (Remember, guys and gals? The OOOOoooooold days?
biggrin.gif
) These Bugs don't know what's right for them.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

The files section has a WCP crazy patch. Better ai? no More difficult: yes.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Anagram said:
But the Cats had Skippers in 3,
But those aren't that tough, I find the capship missiles in Prophecy and SO tougher. And the Skippers appear only in 3 or 4 missions.
and Shok'Lars (sp?) in 2, 3, Armada,
Not in WC2 or 3.
and they give you a cloaker in 4.
They help Pliers with some problems, but he already had a cloack.
And THEY (not the bugs) survive in the WC P missions, don't they...
Not bloody likely. In the mission where you have to rescue the Dralthis with Hawk, they'll die quickly if you don't do anything.
The Cats are tougher than we think. And they fired missiles at you. When we only had Chaff Pods... (Remember, guys and gals? The OOOOoooooold days?
biggrin.gif
) These Bugs don't know what's right for them.
biggrin.gif
Ah, the Nephilim fire missiles at you too. And often, especially the capships.

the cat Dreadnought is SOOOO mush cooler, stronger and better thang that bug thing...

Tiamat;
Max Velocity; 50 kps
Acceleration; 10 kps^2
Y/P/R; 3/3/3 deg/s
Guns; Turreted Maser (14), Ship Killer Plasma Gun (1)
Turret Strength; 600 cm
Front Armor 3200 cm
Rear Armor 3200 cm

kilrathi Dreadnought;
Max Velocity; 100 kps
Acceleration; 10 k/s^2
Y/P/R; 5/5/5 deg/s
Guns; Laser Turrets (15), Classified
Turret Strength; 800 cm
Front Armor 1500 cm
Rear Armor 1500 cm

the Tiamat has double armor, but still...

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCSCRP

I think, for some reason, that the fact ew think the bugs are so easy to defeat are because we have the experience taking cats out. At least most of us have that experience. WC2 seems to be the toughest game (I think) out of the Kilrathi trilogy, and if you can fly and kill Cat Cap-ships in WC2, you reaqlly should be able to do the same in WCP. Only difference in WCP is that the bugs have the shield gens that you need to take out first.

Now, if you began your venture into this series with WCP, and were killing bugs for a long time, then decided to go back to WC4 and WC3, then you might find killing the cats easier than killing the bugs.

Another thing to consider is the fact that Confed technology has gotten ALOT better since the origional Wing Commander. In the first game, a fighter like the Rapier was the kick-ass ship that everyone wanted to fly. Actually I preferred the Raptor, but that's just me. Anyway, back onto the topic, The Arrow of WC3 could fly circles around the Rapier and literally rip it apart from the seams (granted, the issue of pilot experience may come up here, but for argument's sake let's just go with both pilots are equal in abilities and experience). In WCP, Confed tech is so advanced, it's not funny. With the tech we have in WCP, we could have ripped through the Kilrathi in a heartbeat. The bugs were advanced, but we did steal some of their teech as well and incorpirate it into our own weapons. With the cats, we had to use rugged, multi-purpose equipment.

So as for the origional question of who is tougher, I can't really say for certain. I believe that it's like comparing apples and oranges, two completely differant things in two differant circunstances and enviroments.
Against the cats, we were in the middle of a war with rugged, makeshift and not-so-high tech weapons and against the bugs we had the high-tech (and shiny) equipment of a somewhat restored Confed.

Just my thoughts,

-=DeltaKiller=-

In WCP, Confed tech is so advanced, it's not funny. With the tech we have in WCP, we could have ripped through the Kilrathi in a heartbeat.
In less than a heartbeat...A Plunkett can rip the fur of a Kat Dreadnought in less than ten seconds.

If the tech level had been closer to WCIII/IV, Prophecy would have been a lot more challenging. Especially since you would have had to watch out for your wingmen a lot more (I think if you lose 10-12 Black Widows, the game has a barny on you
smile.gif
).

The only way to make the game more difficult would be to bump up the Alien stats, or reduce the Confed Stats in WCPEdit...

------------------
'There are very few problems that can't be solved with high explosives.'

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
The Fanfiction Archives

EW says:
I find the capship missiles in Prophecy and SO tougher.

I remember the first time I've done that miss when the bugs send capmiss at the Midway (you're flying a Wasp IIRC), I went head on with one of those while the booster was running... let me just say that that reminded me this movie I saw bout birds hazard to fighter jets...

smile.gif

BTW, if that wasn't the right mission or ship, I still remember flying head on to one of those capmiss (though I'm really sure I'm right
smile.gif
). Never knew what hit me...

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited May 24, 2000).]

DeltaKiller said:
Now, if you began your venture into this series with WCP, and were killing bugs for a long time, then decided to go back to WC4 and WC3, then you might find killing the cats easier than killing the bugs.
Uh, that's actually what I did. And belive me, you can play Prophecy all you want, but it won't be as tough as WC4 on Nightmare.

Another thing to consider is the fact that Confed technology has gotten ALOT better since the origional Wing Commander. In the first game, a fighter like the Rapier was the kick-ass ship that everyone wanted to fly.
But where compared to the oposing fighters, the Rapier isn't much different than, lets say, a Panther. Confed technology improved, but the bugs can match that tech.
Actually I preferred the Raptor, but that's just me.
Same here, the Rapiers guns were to weak for me.

Anyway, back onto the topic, The Arrow of WC3 could fly circles around the Rapier and literally rip it apart from the seams (granted, the issue of pilot experience may come up here, but for argument's sake let's just go with both pilots are equal in abilities and experience).
But that is irelevant. When you compare the Arrow to the Rapier of course it'll win, but compare a Kilrathi ship from the Rapiers time to it, how fast can you kill that ship, and than see how fast you can kill the bugs in Prophecy.

In WCP, Confed tech is so advanced, it's not funny. With the tech we have in WCP, we could have ripped through the Kilrathi in a heartbeat.
But that's just because the Kilrathi aren't really allowed to make new and advanced ships, neither do they have that much resources. Plus, Confed was always ahead of the Kilrathi in fighter design.
The bugs were advanced, but we did steal some of their teech as well and incorpirate it into our own weapons. With the cats, we had to use rugged, multi-purpose equipment.
Sometimes, but definetly not most of the time.

Hero said:
I remember the first time I've done that miss when the bugs send capmiss at the Midway (you're flying a Wasp IIRC),
Yup, it's the Wasp.
I went head on with one of those while the booster was running... let me just say that that reminded me this movie I saw bout birds hazard to fighter jets...
smile.gif
Oh, I bet it was something beatifull to see.
smile.gif

Never knew what hit me...
That's what I always fell when I die in the Epee.
biggrin.gif

Back