Capship components

What would you prefer in Standoff ?

• Single-component capships (à-la WC2, permits capship battles)

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Multi-components capships (à-la WCP, more interesting for the player to blow up)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, I could do that, but really, any option that requires me to re-compile all the models doesn't look anywhere near appealing :p

To unite the bridge and hull into a single component, I'd need to re-compile the models... and it's not always that simple anyway. In most of the ships, the bridge and hull combined consist of about 80-90% of the polygons, so they'd still be over the 1200 mark, whereas the engines would probably never need more than 500 polys.

--Eder

Fair enough, by the looks of this it would probably be easier for the builder of the next mod to consider these kind of ideas. Capship battles would be quite fun but realistically it's not going to detract very much from the gameplay. It looks like a fine mod you're putting together.

who cares eder i want to do the old battling in WC II in this mod

and it seems everyone else feels the same way so please do it
just keep us informed on ur progress ok

Damn, am I the only one who voted for multi component ships? :) Is it not possible to have both? Destroy a number of components for the ship to blow up OR penetrate a certain damage number against the regular hull.

I don't know, right now that isn't possible, but I mean... HCl has coded stuff which seemed harder than that.

IMO, that'd be the ideal thing as well: just pound the ship a lot, no matter where it hits. So for example you could hit 3 torpedoes on the hull, or 1 on the engine, 1 on the hull, and 1 on the bridge, or any other combination like that, and the ship would blow up just the same - BUT you'd still be able to target specific components.

This would allow missions to be more versatile than if we had single component capships (some missions might require you to only destroy a ship's engines, or something like that) while still allowing people to fire away at any part of the ship they chose to, if their only intention is to destroy the ship.

Still, I guess this is pretty much out of the question for Standoff, unless HCl works some magical patch which allows all that AND is compatible with all of our ships which have already been completed.

--Eder

That scenario reminds me of the carrier disabling mission in Speradon. WC4 capships were all single components... how did they manage that? Admittedly, targeting the engines in that mission was sometimes a bit tricky.

As I recall, destroying the engines caused a lot more damage than destroying other parts of the hull, but it was still just damage. All you had to do in that mission (I think) was to destroy the turrets and inflict 50% hull damage.

No sistem is perfect. It's odd that if you inflict 100% damage on the tip of a cruiser's "wing" the entire thing will blow up. The component system makes capship-capship combat more complicated, but not impossible. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd stick with the original system, so we could have this kind of combat.

exactly delance thats what i want the good old CAPSHIP engagements including some shots from the Concordia's Phase Transit Cannon would be nice and some volleys from the Anti Matter Guns would be good too

So please Eder just go ahead with the modifications
oh and if you could add in Blair i would like to see him again and if you did well thats great

Yup, and Eder, I'd like you to add a flying bunnyrabbit with high powered phase-transit cannons, various tachyon turrets and a maximum speed (without thrusters) of 11,000kps. All for my personal enjoyment.

Kthanx! :D

Why can't we do a XWA-like system? You can blow up lasers, engines, communications system, bridge and other stuff, but you still can blow the entire mofo ship without having to destroy lots of components.

Cause we didn't write the game's engine :p Changes like that are almost always too complicated to work out... we don't really have much access to the core part of the game.

--Eder

Yeah. All things considered, I'll take the WCP engine over the XWA engine any day, and believe me, I know what I'm talking about here.

--Eder

Back