Can't run Armada in DOSBox

C

ChexGuy

I can't run Armada in DOSBox. I keep getting this message saying "Can't find JEMM overlay file." What does that mean?

This can be one of two things that I know of. The file it is referring to is JEMM.OVL; you are either missing that file (meaning something is wrong with your installation) or you are trying to run the game from a different directory.

First check your armada directory and make sure JEMM.OVL is there and that its size isn't zero.

When you try to run the game, make sure your dos prompt shows the directory Armada is installed in e.g. "C:\Armada". You shouldn't be typing something like 'c:\armada\armada.exe' to start the game, just 'armada', 'armadacd', or 'armadadb', depending on your setup.

If this does not help, please describe exactly where armada is installed, and what commands you are using to run it, especially how you are mounting your drives.

I actually don't have that file at all. Could someone send me that file? For Armada, I tried the one in privateer, and it says "Program halted by code"

Reinstall off your CD. If the installer doesn't work correctly in dosbox, try installing through Windows or copying all files directly from the CD. That JEMM.OVL is just the first file it looks for; if you are missing that one, you may be missing others as well.

I think I know what's wrong---

I had the same problem getting Armada to start normally, and this is what I did:
Instead of (for example) typing mount c c:\Armada (where Armada is the directory of your game, and c: is your harddrive), type mount a: c:\Armada
Then, type a: to go to an a: DOS prompt, then type dir to see the contents of that directory, and type the name of the .exe. Then the game should run from there!

Um...what?

Look, I can't do what you're telling me to do. I got my copy of Armada off an abandonware site, and none of the .zip files have the JEMM.ovl file.

We do not support pirated software here. There are resources on www.wcnews.com for finding legal versions of Wing Commander games.

Starvector currently has WC:Armada available, for example, and Wing Commander games frequently show up on EBay.

Back