Cannes Market Screening Reactions

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
It's been nearly a week and a half since Outlander played in the "Marché du Film" at the Cannes festival, and so far the impressions are very Positive!

You can read more about it on the main page. Here's a couple of Noteworthy excerpts:

Frightfest said:
"...an absolute joy to watch... Big, glossy, and acted with conviction by John Hurt, Ron Perlman and Sophia Myles, there's gore aplenty, the thrills are many and the CGI monster is pretty good too."

Dodes'ka-den said:
"It is a film about war and the struggle for existence that does not deprive the viewer of rich special effects, is sexy and has spectacular action. "

Here's something new. Caviezel got good words but the CGI not so much. Surprising concerning the graphics.

http://io9.com/5012368/grimy-viking+monster-battle-movie-still-has-no-us-release-date

I'm really not sure anyone should make much of what io9 had to say. Their source for most stuff seems to be... well, us. And honestly I haven't come across whatever reviews they seem to claim are out there. I'm certain there are reviews out there that are both more positive and more negative. But the ones I've read don't really comment of either of those aspects of the film. And in pretty much every case they have commented very positively on the monster itself. I've heard it described as a Bull, but that probably isn't too far off in the way it moves. There was a an interview from a year ago with sophia myles for example where the transcriber wrote the the creature was like a big "Ball" by mistake.

I have nothing against reporting on not so good reviews but It would have helped if the io9 guys provided a source other than a link to our site. It's great that they seem interested in the movie though.

yeah, i hear you. not sure what to make of their claims and the validity of that site since i've never heard of them. they seem to be a science fiction type blogger place so their sources on Cannes really can't be verified. AD do you know anything about them and if that site is more a rumors based page or do they have some type of history of producing some factual info?

yeah, i hear you. not sure what to make of their claims and the validity of that site since i've never heard of them. they seem to be a science fiction type blogger place so their sources on Cannes really can't be verified. AD do you know anything about them and if that site is more a rumors based page or do they have some type of history of producing some factual info?

I really don't know how much reporting they actually do themselves. Most of their news stories have a source link, and often they are repeating news stories that broke elsewhere. It's entirely possible they came across some other reviews but I don't really see that happening

interesting thoughts..

Originally Posted by Frightfest
"...an absolute joy to watch... Big, glossy, and acted with conviction by John Hurt, Ron Perlman and Sophia Myles, there's gore aplenty, the thrills are many and the CGI monster is pretty good too."

I find it interesting that in the list of actors, in this review and others included, there isn't any mention of Jack Huston and his acting skills.....

I often wonder reading the piece about Sophia and the "ball" monster, if it might not have been a translation problem and she was really talking about the ball on a stick they used on set for positioning...someone mis-understood and took that as the monster being a ball.

Can't wait to see the lots and lots of gore, people die in many gruesome ways!

Originally Posted by Frightfest

I find it interesting that in the list of actors, in this review and others included, there isn't any mention of Jack Huston and his acting skills.....

I often wonder reading the piece about Sophia and the "ball" monster, if it might not have been a translation problem and she was really talking about the ball on a stick they used on set for positioning...someone mis-understood and took that as the monster being a ball.

Can't wait to see the lots and lots of gore, people die in many gruesome ways!

I think Jack gets left out alot because he's still basically an unknown beyond the fact that he has famous relatives. Plus these are very brief reviews/impressions so far so maybe we'll see more when we get some more comprehensive reviews closer to the film's release.

Also I'm fairly certain that "ball" is actually a transcription error. A more recent interview by mediablvd has Sophia describe it as being Like a "bull" which makes a lot more sense in context. Basically she probably said bull but the person in charge of writing down what she said (possibly because of her accent) wrote ball.

There's a movie out there that the effects supervisor worked on called "minotaur" which had essentially a very big and mean bull in it. One of the animators that worked on the same project indicated to me that it was partly why they were picked for the job, as a lot of the r&d for how the Moorwen would move started with what they learned from 'Minotaur'. That's not to say that it moves exactly like that though. I believe there's some clips of the Minotaur on both David Kuklish and Tal Peleg's web sites if you want to have a look.

Moorwen

I will be amazing to see how they model its movements. From what they described on set, I would expect more velociraptor/"Alien", albeit larger (or is it :)), than bull/man like the minotaur. It is these unknowns that has me counting the days until it comes to the screen! For the huge amount we saw, there is a huge amount we didn't see. The list of "deaths do to Moorwen" is extensive with not many methods (ways that people die) repeated.

Back