bug with energy levels?

kilolima

Spaceman
Hi,

I have a shield 4 lvl 5 and a reactor lvl 5 in my centurion (I modiifed the csv to allow it but this shouldn't be the cause of this bug).

At normal usage, with shields at full strength, afterburners burn down the energy to nothing pretty quickly. But, sometimes (it usually happens in combat so I never notice the specific circumstances), I find that I can go full afterburners and shoot with no energy loss. Then it will stay like this till I do an auto pilot or land on a base.

Anybody else having this issue?

do you have a repair droid? sometimes they do funky things...but I've never seen or heard of this... how often do you get it

is it possible you used 's' to reduce your shields

yup, have a repair droid.

I have to set shields to half strenght to fire plasmas continually, but at full shield stength when this bug happens there is no drain.

I think there was another post n this problem by somebody else. I will try to isolate the bug in play.

Thanks...sounds like a tricky one... not sure why autopilot would clear that sort of thing...autopilot only moves your position...doesn't do anything else funky...
landing on base only does something if you upgrade...

doesn't add up from where I sit

hellcatv said:
Thanks...sounds like a tricky one... not sure why autopilot would clear that sort of thing...autopilot only moves your position...doesn't do anything else funky...
landing on base only does something if you upgrade...

doesn't add up from where I sit

Only time I get odd results is when I mess with the afterburner or accel settings in units.cfg. Unless something was downloaded oddly I don't see it. Heck, I had a centurion with Reactor Level 9 Shields 4 Level8 and it didn't do weird things till I messed with the original afterburner usage cost of 32767 in units.cfg I can try it though.

I'll let you know what I find, Cat.

Which Droid do you have? I'll set up a ship exactly like yours or you can send me a copy of your serialised.xml folder for the savegame. send your saved game to wendy atsign kimem.net I'll see what I can find. It might be the way you have the ship configured. ODD results happen when you deviate from the default game settings

Unless you didn't mess with the units.cfg and only messed with your ship. THAT really gives unpredictable results. Especially between repairs. The game tries to set the ship to rights and there is a partial over-ride in your centurion.blank.cfg that causes the game and YOU headaches.

OK, I tracked it down:

If shields are at full strength,, aftbu. will drop energy level. Now, if shields are set to half strength, there is energy for aftb or blasters.

BUT, if shields are then set to full strength again, and while they recharge up but are not to 100% yet, the energy drain is same for if shields were still set to half strength...

as soon as shields reach 100%, then energ drain is as for shields at full strength

same hold true for shields originally at full strength, then damaged in combat... while shields are below 100% energy drain is as if shileds were at half strenght, meaning that when my ship is injured I suddenly have enough energy to afterburner and shoot continously...

So, not a bug, but I think an error in how energy drain is computed? Shield setting, regardless of what percentage the shields are actually at, should determine energy drain and amount leftover for aftbu or blasters. Otherwise it's easy to abuse during gameplay.

I hope this made some sense.

Wendy,

internet is down on my machine... I#m using the neighbors, so I can#t get anything off my machine for the time being. Also they have this crappz german keyboard with all the keys messed up!

kilolima said:
So, not a bug, but I think an error in how energy drain is computed? Shield setting, regardless of what percentage the shields are actually at, should determine energy drain and amount leftover for aftbu or blasters. Otherwise it's easy to abuse during gameplay.
Like Hellcat said, that's how it was in the original. The amount of energy being drained is determined by how thick your shields are at the moment. There is no drain to recharge them.

I wouldn't call it abuse, I call it that thing that saves your butt when you are getting beat. Thinner shields = more energy for your guns and ABs, regardless of your shield settings. I like it :)

And I might add it took me some time to add the code to VS--and then more time when one of the other VS devels changed it out from under me.

Back