Briefings

There's not much that can be done to avoid the actual *displaying* of the ICIS style briefing in the Vision engine... In Standoff, though, you should think of the "ICIS" more like "a map table with subtitles" than a big bad computer which reads you your assignment like it was in WCP/SO/UE :D That's because actual characters will do the talking as if they were briefing other people in the room, over a map table.

During the Prologue, onboard the Lionheart, the player character will be giving the briefing to his other pilots. During the Main Campaign, onboard the Firekka, the player will be briefed by the Captain, much like Blair was briefed by Eisen while they were onboard the Lexington.

We'll try to get some short FMV before each briefing to explain that - kind of like the short animations where Halcyon would point to the map display before the screen actually zoomed in to the map display itself - just to make sure nobody ends up thinking that the ICIS computer from 2681 has just gone back in time and acquired a British accent in the process.

--Eder

Thanks

Thanks that sounds cool and I hope you find someone to do a 3D Firekkan so he could be include.It would give you the same feel as when Pilots like Jazz came on the 'Claw.I always loved the Firekkan species and their beloved Beer.

Good idea with the briefings.....but Im vey curious....how are they gonna actualy be....

Halcyon , good ole' Halcyon...

One thing that always seemed to bug me about WC III and the early part of IV was that it was like the captain was giving you mission assignments.

But its more like the captain, higher up people, tactical officers, intellegence people, and the commander of the air wing who do this stuff.

Ahh the limitations of games.

The All Knowing computer was creepy =).

This all sounds good, I'm looking forward to this game.

Originally posted by Chad
Halcyon , good ole' Halcyon...

One thing that always seemed to bug me about WC III and the early part of IV was that it was like the captain was giving you mission assignments.

But its more like the captain, higher up people, tactical officers, intellegence people, and the commander of the air wing who do this stuff.

Ahh the limitations of games.

The All Knowing computer was creepy =).

This all sounds good, I'm looking forward to this game.

In WC3 and WC4, you WERE the Wing Commander, unlike WC1 or WC2, so the Captain giving you the mission requirements made some sense.. though in WC4, having Admiral Wilford planning them out for you seemed a bit odd.

It was not odd at all......It was a special situation and also Wilford knew better what BW should do....Blair just came there from nowehere and didnt know what was happening in the BW territory

And even if Eisen was still on board, last time I checked, it's perfectly fine for an admiral to issue orders to a captain. :)

Yeah I'm speaking more about them just planning them out for you WC I and II style =).

"You'll take a wing man to Nav 1.... watch out for the asteroids.. we expect a Frigate in the area so take some torpedoes.. remember to use your recon camera, works like a gun shoots like a camera.. "

But overall mission requirments certaintly would be discussed between captain and wing commander.

Of course Halycon was an Arm-Chair Wing Commander and Blair was one of those fly-the-big-missions-myself types (but only because they needed all the pilots they could take on those Ranger class and Durango class carriers) =).

Back