breathing in wing commander:P

Bla1r

Spaceman
ok, another rather strange question. in wc3, the place where ships land(Flight deck) seems to be "open" to the universe. how come ppl dont die in there? And before someone rushes to say they have created technical atmosphere, i will say i would accept this notion, only if the Victory and generally all carriers were somehow sealed off from the universe's lack of atmosphere. but there doesnt seem to be some kind of door there. :)

If you look at the edge of the flight deck near the opening you see a blue light yes? That's basically a forcefield that keeps atmosphere in the flight deck. Ships and people can easily walk through the field.

It's easier to understand if you have seen the Wing Commander movie. But yeah there are fields there which you cannot see (in Wing Commander movie you can).

Electronic barriers, similar in general function to shields. In the novels, IIRC, there's a mention or two of pilots noticing, if barely, the brief "fly in honey" pause as their ship slips through the atmospheric curtain (or whatever it's called, I forget the details offhand) when coming in for a landing.

(As for why the decks are cleared during launches if those curtains exist, it's general safety precaution to clear flight decks of all non-essential personnel when conducting launch ops, whether the carrier deck is in space or floating in the ocean.)

IIRC, it's that they're cleared during *jumps*, since any sort of power flicker might open the deck to space.

If you watch the funeral scenes in WC4, I think you see the field flicker when a casket goes through the barrier.

C-ya

Viper61 said:
If you watch the funeral scenes in WC4, I think you see the field flicker when a casket goes through the barrier.

C-ya

Yeah I recall the flicker when they let the casket go also.

SyyBorg said:
in star trek nemesis they show a kinda force field when they crash into the enemy ship

Yes, and the technical aspects of the Enterprise-E represent EXACTLY how the Wing Commander universe works
:rolleyes: .

Twigboy said:
Yes, and the technical aspects of the Enterprise-E represent EXACTLY how the Wing Commander universe works
:rolleyes: .

Eather way, There hast to be some kind of a force feild if it apears to be open all the time when we see it.

Well that was a given. I think Twig's point was that why in the world would you bring up the Enterprise in this discussion?

SyyBorg said:
in star trek nemesis they show a kinda force field when they crash into the enemy ship

Star Trek has used Force Fields for years.

What you have to remember about WC is that it's set in the 2600s, the Tech is bold to be better.

Not necessarily (I know I spelled that wrong). They are two seperate universes, anything could happen to drastically effect both technological progress scales resulting in very different technology.

DyNaMiX said:
Kind of reminds me of the discussion about why Confed was still using paper in 26**.

It's called a hard copy. Great for things like dependable storage for archives, top secret files as code-written hard copies are harder to crack than an electronic ones, important notes that you don't want erased accidently, among other cool things. There will always be things that hard copies should be used over electronc, or soft, copies.

Meson said:
It's called a hard copy. Great for things like dependable storage for archives, top secret files as code-written hard copies are harder to crack than an electronic ones, important notes that you don't want erased accidently, among other cool things. There will always be things that hard copies should be used over electronc, or soft, copies.
Like reading, lord I have to read a ton of documents in PDF (some over 500 pages long) and the computer kills my eyes. Thank God for the EE department double-sided printers :)

C-ya

Meson said:

Exactly. Alot of people argued why they don't read things off of computers or small PADs etc.

Back