BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander in Concert Tomorrow! (July 3, 2014)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's some exciting news concerning George Oldziey's reorchestration of Wing Commander music. Although last year's Wing Commander Concert was cancelled, the Austin Symphony has asked to perform George's original suite at Friday's big Fourth of July celebration. It will be held at Austin's Circuit of the Americas at 8:30 PM Central Time. The event is free to the public, and it'll even be broadcast online at the Majic 95.5 website! If you plan to listen in, be sure to sync up your time zone so you don't miss it. Wing Commander is tentatively planned for the third slot in the program after "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Into the Light." You can find more information here!

--
Original update published on July 3, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an interesting program - going to have to tune in. I have to admit that it's a little odd to think of Wing Commander to be up there with the 1812 Overture and a couple of Sousa marches, but at the same time I see where it fits.

(Sousa hated clarinetists; this from a guy who used to play that particular instrument in a band that played a lot of Sousa. Just because the clarinet can be played in the upper register doesn't mean it should be played there for the entire freaking march...).

Cool! I wonder if there will be a recording available after, as I'm unfortunately not going to be able to listen.

Sweetness, my TuneIn internet radio app picks up the station. I'll definitely be listening!

Thanks for the tip!

KKMJ is the call letters for those of y'all wanting to listen in on a radio app like TuneIn (just type that into the search bar in all caps). If you're using TuneIn, you want the low-def station; that's the one that corresponds to the website stream. 8:30 CDT corresponds to 0130Z for those of you who may want to tune in from other parts of the world.

If the radio station is "not available in your area" and you really want to listen to the event live, you can use Hola (https://hola.org/) to gain access. It is a free VPN and has a Chrome and Android plugin avaailable from the Google store.. I have used it for some time and have not had any problems using it.

I've got Audacity set up to record the stream; I'll let y'all know if I get it or not.

I'm think such a recording would fall under "fair use" for news reporting purposes; the critical factor there would be whether it would diminish the "potential market for or value of the copyrighted work". I doubt it would, but the powers that be may feel differently. First things first: I have to get the thing first.

Missed it (but can't complain as I had a great night with family) - how'd it go? Hope everyone here had a great night, whatever you were doing!

I've got Audacity set up to record the stream; I'll let y'all know if I get it or not.

I'm think such a recording would fall under "fair use" for news reporting purposes; the critical factor there would be whether it would diminish the "potential market for or value of the copyrighted work". I doubt it would, but the powers that be may feel differently. First things first: I have to get the thing first.

How'd it go, capi? I'd love to hear this if you managed to get it. :)

Well...I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys. :(:(:(

The concert began at 8:30 PM as scheduled. The simulcast began at 9:30 PM, in the middle of the 1812 Overture. Long and the short of it - I got an hour of '80s hits and a little over half an hour of predominantly Sousa marches. Not a bad concert overall, but obviously not the droids we were all looking for. :oops:

I wasn't the only one who was recording; I had hopped on the #wingnut IRC channel just to see who else was trying to listen in, and there were at least three of us recording the simulcast. There was collective disappointment all around. On the plus side, Audacity functioned as it should've and I got a clean recording (of mostly Sousa marches).

There was talk of the Wing Commander suite being played on Twitter, so we can all still hope someone was in the crowd recording and put it up on YouTube. I'll try to do that today if I get an opportunity; best I can suggest to y'all at this point. If I find anything, I'll post the link.

Dang. That's a real shame. :( Thanks for the update, capi. I guess I'll just wait until later this year when Oldzie's own recording is available. I really can't wait. :)

Same here. That's the upshot - we still get to hear it, we just have to wait another four months or so.

Meantime, anybody want some Sousa?

Awww sorry to hear, but thanks for letting us know. Well we still have the music to look forward to - just a longer wait!

Back