BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander for the PSP! (August 14, 2006)

QuailPilot

Spaceman
This is probably the only game I get for a PSP if I get one.

I would have even loved it more if the Crusader Games with with this compilation.

Well Im going PSP shopping see ya.
 

BrynS

Mr Kat says...
Excellent news! :D

Loaf, is the attached image a mockup that you put together or from someone within EA?

-Bryn
 

maniac89

I love Wing Commander: Prophecy
I always wanted to see a Playstation port of wing commander, hope fully they'll to the same for more!!!

The Maniac
 

KrisV

Administrator
BrynS said:
Excellent news! :D

Loaf, is the attached image a mockup that you put together or from someone within EA?

-Bryn

That PSP is displaying JPEG screenshots from PC WC1.
 

Ijuin

Admiral
Sarty said:
Actually they could port every game all the way through Prophecy with full video to the PSP. Those UMD's can hold 1.8 gigs. That would be pretty cool.

And WC4 takes up over three gigabytes (six CD's), while WC3 takes up four CD's (more than 2.0 gigabytes). Either one would need to either have additional video compression or else span two UMD disks.
 

BrynS

Mr Kat says...
Ijuin said:
And WC4 takes up over three gigabytes (six CD's), while WC3 takes up four CD's (more than 2.0 gigabytes). Either one would need to either have additional video compression or else span two UMD disks.
Not necessarily. PSP videos can be up to 480x272 pixels in size and with either PSMF H.264 or another MPEG-4 codec should be able to compress WC3 and WC4 PC-CD footage at comparable quality at a fraction of the original bitrate, so assuming a reworked game engine didn't consume too much space, I would think WC3 at least would be able to fit on one UMD.

A PSP version of WC4 DVD could probably be spanned across two UMD discs with resampled FMV (down to the PSP's native resolution) footage and perhaps even one with some compression trickery. :)

Cheers,


Bryn
 

Edfilho

Cry some more!
Hello all, and happy birthday CIC.
That is pretty cool news. I wish PSPs were less expensive around here... not only it's getting WING COMMANDER, but also Ultima7 and Syndicate, all in ONE package.

Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.
 

Ijuin

Admiral
BrynS said:
Not necessarily. PSP videos can be up to 480x272 pixels in size and with either PSMF H.264 or another MPEG-4 codec should be able to compress WC3 and WC4 PC-CD footage at comparable quality at a fraction of the original bitrate, so assuming a reworked game engine didn't consume too much space, I would think WC3 at least would be able to fit on one UMD.

A PSP version of WC4 DVD could probably be spanned across two UMD discs with resampled FMV (down to the PSP's native resolution) footage and perhaps even one with some compression trickery. :)

Cheers,


Bryn

Well I did say that to fit it onto one disk it would require additional compression (which you agreed with).
 
Top