BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander for the PSP! (August 14, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Think you don't need a PSP? Well, think again! GameSpot is reporting that Electronic Arts will release a new compilation of games for the Sony PSP gaming system. "EA Replay" will include fourteen Origin-developed games, including Ultima VII, Wing Commander and The Secret Missions! The pack is scheduled for an October 3rd release, priced at $29.99. In all likelyhood, these are ports of the SNES versions of these games -- so get ready to take on some Green Salthi!

GameStop has a listing for the product here, and it includes a very detailed description:
Step back to the dawn of console gaming's golden age with this collection of classics. Play hits from Road Rash, Strike and other legendary series in the first EA compilation of classic handheld games. Go head-to-head with friends in multiplayer mode on select titles. You can even unlock original game art, play in widescreen or normal mode, and save any game at any point. Take fun with you - anytime, anywhere!

[*] Ultima: The Black Gate: Solve the mystery that has befallen Britannia before its manifestation is complete!
[*] Wing Commander: Lead your elite Tiger's Claw squadron against the forces of the Kilrathi Empire.
[*] Wing Commander: Secret Missions: Come face to face with the ultimate threat to mankind, a weapon capable of destroying entire planets!
If you're like me, you'll be shopping for a new game system tomorrow. The core version currently retails for $199 (Amazon) and the standard bundle sells for $250 (Amazon). The fact that Electronic Arts is again interested in making these games available at retail is amazing news for fans... news which is almost more exciting than the fact that we'll be able to play these classics in a whole new way!

--
Original update published on August 14, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
And here I was at the mall today, looking into buying a Nintendo DS. Goddamn it, now I'll have to get both.

this is great new for WC. this is the 1st official release of a WC game since WCP for the gameboy right ? this might be an indication that flight sims can make it big on the portable consoles ( since they use lesser resourses than FPS and other types ) that was the reason why games like WC held the upper hand in the 90's, they gave more for lesser hardware in comparison to FPS games. we might even be seeing the reseruction of flight sims again................

enough excitement for me. time to suit up and play some secret opps !

Holy crap, I just woke up from a nap and thought I was still asleep dreaming. THis is excellent news for Wing Commander. We all knew something like this was coming, and now it has finally arrived. We're just a few steps closer to having a new Wing Commander Game.

Rock on.

This makes me happy. So very, very, very happy.

I personally have always preferred playing games on my PC. So, I think that I'll stick with DosBox for right now. Still, it's always fantastic news when a Wing Commander game is being sold again. It gives me hope.

I'd love to see an idea that was mentioned in another thread - releasing a Wing Commander collection that would include WC1-WCP, both of the Privateers, and WC Armada, all "re-vamped" to run on newer computers without problems - become reality.

That's probably just a pipe dream. But maybe this release for the Sony PSP makes it just a little more likely?

I hope that this package is popular enough that EA will consider re-releasing WC2/SO for the PSP as well. It would probably be too hard to squeeze WC3 onto a single disk though without cutting out lots of video--and I don't know the chances of a two-disk PSP game selling too well.

Looks like I'll have to pick up a third PSP. No way I'm gonna upgrade my two 1.5 PSPs for this...

Ijuin said:
I hope that this package is popular enough that EA will consider re-releasing WC2/SO for the PSP as well. It would probably be too hard to squeeze WC3 onto a single disk though without cutting out lots of video--and I don't know the chances of a two-disk PSP game selling too well.

Actually they could port every game all the way through Prophecy with full video to the PSP. Those UMD's can hold 1.8 gigs. That would be pretty cool.

In 2003, Prophecy Advance gave a lot of fans hope that Wing Commander could and would have a bright future ahead. The game turned out great and sold well. It was so good, that people might not have thought about how it was developed and published by third parties contracting out for EA's licenses.

Now we've moved on to the next level here. This new PSP compilation will actually be published by Electronic Arts itself. EA knows that there is a fan base for these games, and now they've directly taken the lead on production of this set. And don't forget the partnership that was announced a few months ago. EA will also be rereleasing Wing Commander Privateer via the GameTap service soon.

A couple years back, we ran a poll that asked which two WC games fans would most like rereleased after Prophecy Advance. Wing Commander 1 and Privateer topped this survey, and now we're actually getting those two games.

This is a great time to be a Wing Commander fan. Get Ready!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is unbelievably great news.

If its a success and they decide to also release a ported wc2 (though unlikely because it was never released for snes if that's what these new ones are) I would hope they include SM2 in that compilation (along with SO1 and SO2). It makes sense as SM2 is really a prologue to WC2.

This is awesome! Good thing I've got one of these puppies...I can't wait. Gonna be interesting trying to control it...wanna bet they use the analog thumb..padthingie. for steering, and the d-pad buttons for weapon selection, comm options, and ejecting? That just might make it work.. though I'm hardly the expert.
Just can't wait. Can't wait.

Howard Day said:
Gonna be interesting trying to control it...wanna bet they use the analog thumb..padthingie. for steering, and the d-pad buttons for weapon selection, comm options, and ejecting? That just might make it work.. though I'm hardly the expert.

Exactly my thoughts. It's a shame I just sold my PSP though...fortunately I have a friend who never plays his so I'll just tap him. :)

Wow! I didn't ever realize just how cool the PSP was until I started shopping for one. I thought it was just another Gameboy or Game Gear. This thing is like a mini-PS2.

Great - I needed an excuse to start using my PSP again... I'll have to look into what the UK release date is.

Quite spooky as I bought WC SNES on ebay only last week.

Richie, Stargamer.net

Back