BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander Academy on DVD (September 1, 2011)

A bit sad that the free deal is gone of course, but still great news nonetheless.
Two questions pop to my mind however. As others have said a non R1 release would be great (or do it in R0). Also what about the saga of the Space Viking? Will they be included in the WCA release as Eastereggs/Extras... Probably not, but sure hope so.

That's great.
I wonder if they'll even dub it in german and if they do, I wonder if they'll use the original Voice-Actors from the games to dub Maverick, Maniac and Tolwyn and Raimund Krone to dub Michael Dorn. (Raimund Krone was Worf's voice-actor in Star Trek: TNG, DS9 and the movies)

This is one package I'm gonna get! Well, once it's got an R2 release (or even before then, might set one of my twin DVD drives in my PC to R1 just to watch it and other R1 releases.)

I'll be hanging out for the r4 release... if it ever happens... Loaf, if you're asking about an r2 release, could you maybe ask them about r4 also?
I went from excited down to cautiously optimistic after the realisation that region coding could be a barrier. I'll add my vote to the growing collection of people looking for a Region 4 release.

That's really awesome news! Any chance for a bluray version?
For a cartoon, I really don't think there will be a discernible improvement with the higher resolution afforded by Blu-Ray. I suspect it will just be a DVD release to keep the market as wide as possible.

German subtitles would be great ;).

Anyway, I am hoping to organize a community order for the German community with your help :).

Really great news. It really is a great time to be a WC fan. I'll certainly order one, even if it's only R1.

Edit: Am I too blind/stupid to find the quote button or is it gone?

It looks like "reply" has replaced quote.

Yes, and you can also use it on multiple messages to insert multiple quoted sections into a single reply.

For example...

Really great news. It really is a great time to be a WC fan. I'll certainly order one, even if it's only R1.

Edit: Am I too blind/stupid to find the quote button or is it gone?

Awesome... add my vote to a R4 release as well!

German subtitles would be great ;).

Anyway, I am hoping to organize a community order for the German community with your help :).

And each time you hit "Reply" on a specific post it is then added to your reply like so.

I went from excited down to cautiously optimistic after the realisation that region coding could be a barrier. I'll add my vote to the growing collection of people looking for a Region 4 release.

For a cartoon, I really don't think there will be a discernible improvement with the higher resolution afforded by Blu-Ray. I suspect it will just be a DVD release to keep the market as wide as possible.

I agree that the quality improvement would be insignificant.

What I was actually aiming for since a lot of people here are asking for different region codes is that most companies don't use the region code system on Bluray, which means no concerns about that - just one version, all episodes on one disc, that's it.

Of courde it's another question how widely-used Bluray is nowadays...

I for example don't use BluRays.

Also what do you think in which order should the episodes be ordered? Airdate, timeline or Production Order? (I refer myself to This)
I'm for the timeline order.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was actually aiming for since a lot of people here are asking for different region codes is that most companies don't use the region code system on Bluray...
Perhaps. And it's true that there are only three Blu-Ray regions in contrast with four for DVDs, but DVDs are sold region-free as well as Blu-Rays.

Of courde it's another question how widely-used Bluray is nowadays...
I don't think it's quite that popular just yet. In Australia, at least, the number of Blu-Ray titles are increasing, but the format is still very much an exception rather than the norm.

Also what do you think in which order should the episodes be ordered? Airdate, timeline or Production Order? (I refer myself to This)
I'm for the timeline order.
In-universe time-line order makes the most sense to me. TV shows don't usually follow production order, but I suppose it's possible that the episodes could be sorted according to air date (but even then, different countries can have TV shows shown in different orders).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some answers to your questions! Not all of them and not necessarily the answers you want, but:

- Visual Entertainment only has the North American rights. They were kind enough to check Universal's records for me and confirmed that no one else has licensed the show anywhere else. If it's a hit for them that could change... and they're also willing to work with fans to export copies. (No word on region coding--we'll probably have to wait until 10/24 to know.)

- They considered doing a bluray SKU, but decided to wait. If this is a hit or... ah, something happens... with the Wing Commander IP at any time in the next year they would be open to doing a limited run of bluray special editions.

- The episodes are in production order.

Hopefully it is region free at least if no region 4, but I guess I have all the episodes already anyway.

If this is a hit or... ah, something happens... with the Wing Commander IP at any time in the next year...

You keep dropping hints LOAF, I hope I am not getting excited in vain. :D

It looks like "reply" has replaced quote.
Yes, and you can also use it on multiple messages to insert multiple quoted sections into a single reply.

For example [...]

And each time you hit "Reply" on a specific post it is then added to your reply like so.

Ah, thanks! I thought "Reply" would just mean Reply to the thread...should have tried it out.

Well, too bad it's (at first) only a RC1 release (if it's not RC free) but since many DVD players can be set to play DVDs from any region, it certainly won't keep me from ordering one.

'Disagree' on the quality of BluRay to be insignificant with an animated show. Just as films in BluRay look like, well, actual photographs on a good television, animated material looks like, well, moving drawings. Lines are sharp. You can actually see what the artist did, as opposed to lost in the soft-focus effect of SD. Now...whether or not you'd WANT to see that detail is another question, but the animated stuff I've seen in HD looks breathtaking.

It's another question whether or not they have the sources they'd need for HD. You'd have to go back to the film elements...(I'm guessing but pretty sure they didn't keep the high resolution digital intermediary after all these years) the video tape masters wouldn't have the resolution to make a HD version make sense. Of course you CAN present SD material on BluRay (and have it all be on one disc).

Back