BREAKING NEWS: ESRB Announces Rating for 'Wing Commander Arena' (February 21, 2007)

As the article indicates there is every reason to believe its an XBLA game, the name obviously screams online. The lack of promotion would also explain it, developers for XBLA and the Wii VC have no idea when exactly their titles will be released. I don't have a 360 dev kit at my new job, but I'll be hounding those that do every day to find out if anything has popped up on the developer version of XBLA.
My personal guess would be that its an original creation, if they are testing the waters for the viability of the franchise they wouldn't do so with a re-release.

:-(
Could someone donate me a XBox 360?!
Great news, but bad choice of hardware as far as I am concerned. Hope it won't stay 360 exclusive for long.

We need you again, Mark Hamill!!!

Attachments

• BlairwcIV.jpg
    BlairwcIV.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 560
( backthrown by reality )
Now the guy makes sense who asked for a wingcommander merchandise license for nonelectronic products.Well, my 360 is ready, even if its a multyplayer game. Wing Commander Armada with cheap controls and without tactical elements. But if the game brings the big bucks, there will be perhaps a WC1 Remake with Mark Hamill as Colonel Halycon
( too happy to write agagin )

We need you again, Mark Hamill!!!

Not nessessarily. Wing Commander got it's reputation from two games that didn't have FMV - and then also had several spin-off titles of excellent quality.

I'll admit to doing a double take to the title of this "new" game. I thought it said Armada. Still, good news, can't wait to see the result.

I just saw this on Joystiq and I was frozen for a whole minute !!

Now the question is, is this an entirely new game or is it a polished version of one of the older ones ?

You know what, i dont freakin care, anything thats WingCommander and HighDef and on my 360 would have to be amazing !!!

I am both incredibly excited and a little worried.

I love my 360 to death and it is fantastic for many games, like Gears of War and Rainbow Six. But, anyone who played wing commander 3 on the PS2 or Wing Commander on the SNES might remember that the complexities of power managment, comms, nav map, and other such elements of wing commander combat do not exactly lend themselves to a non-keyboard control scheme. Sure in the PS2 port you could do everything that you could in the PC version but it involved unusual and often painful contortions of your hands...and a lot of memorization.

Will the game have an insanely complicated control scheme, or will Wing commander be reduced (read: dumbed down) into the likes of other arcade games on XBLA so that new-comers to the series will wonder what all the hype was about.

This same concern bothers me in the attempt to bring RTS to the console. Halo wars for example. How can you select groups of units quickly without a mouse?? Some things were meant to be great PC games, not mediocre attempts to boost console market share.... I hope EA and Microsoft know the difference.

Still...if it comes out...I'm buying it, and perhaps it will be the debut for the previously-unmentioned keyboard support of the 360 (Yes, that's right keyboards DO work with it...plug a USB one into it and you can type away..)

But, anyone who played wing commander 3 on the PS2 or Wing Commander on the SNES might remember that the complexities of power managment, comms, nav map, and other such elements of wing commander combat do not exactly lend themselves to a non-keyboard control scheme. Sure in the PS2 port you could do everything that you could in the PC version but it involved unusual and often painful contortions of your hands...and a lot of memorization.
There's a reason why I'm not worried about it. Starlancer. When I was looking at playing it, I was concerned that it didn't have a joystick and thought it might not feel as real. In my opinion though, the controls flowed so seemlessly that it made a joystick/keyboard combo seem cumbersome in comparison. I didn't like the SNES controls for WC1, but the Xbox remotes are more similar to the Sega Dreamcast, so I would bet that the controls will resemble Starlancer.

i didn't mind the controls for wc1 on snes...

i was playing it a little while ago on roms and it was fine...

sure a little odd at times but it worked

I love my 360 to death and it is fantastic for many games, like Gears of War and Rainbow Six. But, anyone who played wing commander 3 on the PS2 or Wing Commander on the SNES might remember that the complexities of power managment, comms, nav map, and other such elements of wing commander combat do not exactly lend themselves to a non-keyboard control scheme. Sure in the PS2 port you could do everything that you could in the PC version but it involved unusual and often painful contortions of your hands...and a lot of memorization.
Well, the 360 controler has more functionalitly than the psx controler, however, The controls for WC4 PSX weren't bad. At least it used the analog stick and added things like rumble effects, even if some of the options were simplified.

However, this is why I'd hedge my bets that it's a new title, in which case we don't need to be concerned about matching the original control scheme. THe developer would most likely design the controls from the ground up to make use of the 360 controler.

Hey, you can actually plug your Gamertag into your Crius.net account via the control panel.

Changed it over, I must of stuck that up months and months ago for the lack of anything interesting to stick down for a signiture!

Im really excited about the prospect of a new wing commander game, lets face it; 1997 was a very long time ago now.

i didn't mind the controls for wc1 on snes...

i was playing it a little while ago on roms and it was fine...

sure a little odd at times but it worked

I didn't like the controls because it takes time to issue the order for your wingman to attack. In the meantime you can't attack the enemy as you're selecting the order. Then if you're in the middle of combat and want to switch targets, you again have to switch to target selection while the enemies are shooting at you. Likewise if you want to make a break for the next nav or back to the Claw the same thing happens and you're shot at while looking for the nav selection menu. Once orders have been issued and you're in combat they work fine though.

...btw.. where'd my robot go? I plan to get the Xbox 360 anyway so I can play Arena. I guess I'll have one of those Xbox live avatars soon.

Back