Breaking News: Electronic Arts 'Taps Privateer (March 9, 2006)

privateer Cd-rom OEM became very popular here years ago, small computer stores actually took out all software bundled with cd-rom/sound cards/graphics cards, and put the editions on the shelf to sell them seperatly.

this was common for wing commander 1/ultima 6 combo, privateer, syndicate,wing commander academy, secret of money island, and lots of others. Privateer was available for 60 hfl, wich equals about 30 us dollars, for a then "new" (6 to 7 months old) game.

you should be able to track down a CD-rom deluxe edition for under 10$

just saw my first commericial for gametap this morning on Spike...showed some nice clips...is this going to be available for mac as well or strictly PC?

Dundradal said:
just saw my first commericial for gametap this morning on Spike...showed some nice clips...is this going to be available for mac as well or strictly PC?

From the site:

NOTE: GameTap is not supported in Windows 98, and may experience difficulties in computers four years and older. GameTap is also currently unavailable for download on any Apple Macintosh system but will be available at a later date so please be sure to check back often.

Mace said:
this was common for wing commander 1/ultima 6 combo, privateer, syndicate,wing commander academy, secret of money island, and lots of others. Privateer was available for 60 hfl, wich equals about 30 us dollars, for a then "new" (6 to 7 months old) game.

you should be able to track down a CD-rom deluxe edition for under 10$

Yeah, there's a lot of OEM copies of the 1991-3 releases in circulation. These are great because they typically include the expansion packs, speech packs or whatever else was released for each particular game. I see tons of WC2 Deluxe and Privateer in circulation, and there are quite a few bundles that included WC1. There's also a good number of Strike Commanders out there like this.

Also great to hear that WC Privateer will eventually be available for Mac via GameTap.

AD said:
From the site:

Nice...Mac version always has to come out later....although it will be awesome to play all those old games on my mac...I'm still lacking a WC PC...

9+2+2=13?

Bandit LOAF said:
Roman numerals?! They never even *tried* to teach us that in school!

I was just thinking of alternate explanations for why the ad says Ultima I-XIII when other news said that it was Ultima 1-6.

The GameTap ad though looks like it has a picture of Ultima 8. Maybe Gametap will in the future have Ultima I-VIII?

An alternative explanation is that Gametap gets to 13 by including the the 2 Ultima Underworlds and the 2 Worlds of Ultima (9+2+2=13)?

Wishful thinking?

Delance said:
How does it work, anyway? Do the game run on the local machine, or remotely? Anyway, it's amazing.

Emily Morganti with Adventure Gamers said this in her generally favorable March 3, 2006 GameTap review:
When you register for GameTap, a 25MB application is installed on your computer. This communicates with GameTap's database to provide access to the games via your broadband connection. (Dial-up use is not supported.) When you launch this application, you need to log in with a username and password. This allows multiple people in the same household to use GameTap with their own customized options, and also enables you to use GameTap on more than one computer. The games themselves are not installed on your machine. You play through GameTap's interface, using an emulator that runs not only Windows games, but games originally designed for DOS and many consoles seamlessly on your modern PC. This emulator runs older games exactly as they would have run on an old computer—"out of the box," with no fiddling.
and
My only big complaint about GameTap's version of SQV—which extends to other Sierra titles as well—is the way the saves are handled. Saved games are stored on your computer. However, it's not always easy to tell where GameTap is putting them. My saves for Space Quest V appeared to be stored on a fictitious D drive. When I used up the save slots, I tried everything I could think of to change to a new directory, but the game didn't recognize any of the folders I'd created. I was forced to overwrite saves, which wasn't the end of the world, but considering that many Sierra games have nasty dead ends, it made me uncomfortable. Myst saves, on the other hand, were stored right on my desktop, so this appears to be a quirk of DOS-based games. Wherever GameTap's putting the saves, it's worth keeping in mind that they're tied to your computer, not your username. So even though you can log in on any computer that has GameTap installed, you can't start a game on one computer, save, and then continue it on another.

Adventures in GameTap

I was just thinking of alternate explanations for why the ad says Ultima I-XIII when other news said that it was Ultima 1-6.

Yeah, I know -- it just seemed like the rare perfect opportunity for one of those classic Simpsons quotes, though...

The GameTap ad though looks like it has a picture of Ultima 8. Maybe Gametap will in the future have Ultima I-VIII?

An alternative explanation is that Gametap gets to 13 by including the the 2 Ultima Underworlds and the 2 Worlds of Ultima (9+2+2=13)?

Wishful thinking?

Yeah, probably wishful thinking -- they've just confused V and X. The actual news, I believe, is that Ultima VII and VIII will be included... if there were an Ultima CIC, they'd probably do a better job of being excited about this news.

Origin/EA has a long history of generally forgetting about the Ultima spinoffs -- I don't think the Worlds of Ultima games ever even made it to any sort of CD compilation (outside of Japan, at least)...

I have a combo-CD that came with a Sound Blaster kit with EA games that includes Savage World.

Delance said:
I have a combo-CD that came with a Sound Blaster kit with EA games that includes Savage World.

The one with space hulk and academy and shadow caster and ultima VII and all the other games i used to love?:D

I have that too. Never EVER got Space Hulk to work, unfortunately. But Ultima VII... Holly SHIT, man, I played it to death. and the exp pack. And Ultima 7 part2, and the other exp pack...

That version of Space Hulk never run here, either. It's a pretty neat CD. Origin even sent me a paper Ultima VII map by mail. And they sent it to Rio dey Jamneeiro, and it arrived here.

Back