Border Worlds - Confed (Again!)

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Well , something I dont Understand:(

The BorderWorlders are in the front lines,arent they?
But their Tech sucks compared to the Confeds.

I just dont get it , why Confed during the war let the Borders Worlds be in the front line ,with such tech?
Confed should have at least give them new tech , to protect the borders and hole humanity

:rolleyes:

Thats all:cool:

At the time, the Border Worlds were part of Confed and Confed operated in the Border Worlds as well as the rest of the TC. The Border Worlds had to make do with whatever they had after they broke away from Confed. And IMHO, the BW fighters were better than their TC counterparts.

There's only so much money to go around.
Confed Navy gets the toys (mace missiles, Excalibur fighters, etc...).
The Border Worlds gets the left overs, plus whatever else they can scrape together.
The situation is probably similar to that found in the various National Guard units in the US. The National Guard units are there, and they're designed to supplement the regular US military, but their equipment isn't as good as that provided to the military. The best equipment will go to the 'real' military, in this case, Confed Navy, and the local defense units will get the second hand equipment.
Now areas with heavier combat will probably get better equipment (due to the fact that their equipment is replaced more often to make up for combat losses), but they still won't see the same quality of equipment that the regular navy gets.
Then there's also the issue of keeping equipment at operational status. The Border Worlds don't have the resources of Confed to draw upon, so their native equipment (such as the Banshee) is probably designed to be easier to maintain and repair than the top of the line stuff that Confed uses.

Keep in mind that apart from the political ambiguities (i.e., the extent to which the “pre-Union” border worlds were regarded and treated as part of the Confederation proper) and the military strategies (e.g., the importance of the “core planets” compared to that of the “colonies” in the Battle of Terra), Confed’s own resources were stressed, especially toward the end of the war. This is why we see a light carrier like the Victory on the front lines in WC3.

I got the feeling that the Border Worlders weren't all that highly regarded in the upper levels of the Confed government. At the start of the WC4 novel, Paladin feels that some of the senators are ready to blame the Border Worlders on general principles rather than hard evidence. Also, Vagabond says in the game that the Border Worlds were treated as second class, used as a dumping ground for everything from toxins to convicts. If you both mistrust a group and see them as second rate, you're hardly likely to allow them state of the art weapons.

Also, since Tolwyn must have been planning the campaign against the Border Worlds for quite a few years, and he was quite influential, I imagine that he and the other project high rankers like Petronova would have had a hand in what resources the Confed miltary allocated to the Border Worlders and what weren't. The Border Worlders had to be strong enough to be seen as a credible threat to Confed and good enough opposition for the Black Lance to hone ftheir fighting skills, but not so strong that they could unravel the plot or cause massive losses to the Black Lance. That's a very hard mix to get right. And as it turned out, the Border Worlders proved a little too much of a handfull for the Master Race. :D

Best, Raptor

Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
(...)I just dont get it , why Confed during the war let the Borders Worlds be in the front line (...)

Well the Border Worlds were (and still are) the systems neighbouring the Kilrathi, thus they had no real choice other than being the front. ;)

Re: Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Though the fact that the Nephilim can jump past our frontiers changes all that. The wormholes mean that just about every sector would potentially be on the frontline.

Best, Raptor

Re: Re: Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Originally posted by Raptor
Though the fact that the Nephilim can jump past our frontiers changes all that. The wormholes mean that just about every sector would potentially be on the frontline.

Best, Raptor

Although, apparently, they beat the tar out of the Border Worlds anyway. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

True, but the Border Worlds were not the front line in that case. The frontline was in Kilrathi space. What I'm saying is that the wormhole tech means that we can no longer assume the threat will *only* come from the direction of the Border Worlds.

Best, Raptor

Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

I just dont get it , why Confed during the war let the Borders Worlds be in the front line ,with such tech?
The Border Worlds are kinda called the "Border Worlds" on account of THEY'RE ON THE FRIGGIN' BORDER. It's not like it was avoidable.
What I'm saying is that the wormhole tech means that we can no longer assume the threat will *only* come from the direction of the Border Worlds.
Except for that they pretty much have to go through known jump routes, which leads them through the Border Worlds.

Originally posted by Frosty

The Border Worlds are kinda called the "Border Worlds" on account of THEY'RE ON THE FRIGGIN' BORDER. It's not like it was avoidable.

Im pretty sure TCSTiger'sClaw meant why did Confed allow them to fight with subpar weaponry at the frontline, not why did Confed let them be the on the frontlines.

Originally posted by Frosty
Except for that they pretty much have to go through known jump routes, which leads them through the Border Worlds.

Unless they come through a wormhole which isn't located near or beyond the Border Worlds, which I believe is the hypothesis Raptor was talking about.

--Eder

Originally posted by Supdon3
Im pretty sure TCSTiger'sClaw meant why did Confed allow them to fight with subpar weaponry at the frontline, not why did Confed let them be the on the frontlines.
Yeah, I guess it was stupid of me to assume that he meant what he said. But even in that case it doesn't make sense since the BW were part of Confed at the time, and Confed's navy was sationed right there out of necessity.

Originally posted by Eder

Unless they come through a wormhole which isn't located near or beyond the Border Worlds, which I believe is the hypothesis Raptor was talking about.

--Eder

Well, it's not exactly a hypothesis, as it happened in Secret Ops. No-one was expecting an enemy fleet to show up in the middle of Sol sector.

Best, Raptor

The fact that the bugs can presumably open wormholes wherever they want could work in our favor. It means Confed govt will authorize more funding for the TCN, which is good since Paladin notes that most of the wartime fleet is failing.

Thats ecactly what I was talking about Supdon3!
:cool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Well, it's not exactly a hypothesis, as it happened in Secret Ops. No-one was expecting an enemy fleet to show up in the middle of Sol sector.

Best, Raptor

Ah, but that war didn't really have much of a front line: it only spanned a handful of systems, for a short period of time. ;) From your other post, I actually thought you were talking about the hypothesis of the bugs showing up again, somewhere outside Confed space, but nowhere in the way of the Border Worlds...

--Eder

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BorderWorlds-Confed(AGAIN!)

Personally, I think any conflict that has each side's super carriers being blown up constitutes a war, even if it's only a small or undeclared one. :D And if we *hadn't* been able to shut of the gateway in Proxima so quickly, then we would have had a full scale invasion into the Sol Sector.

PS: Do we have any solid info on which of the invasions (WC:p or SO) was the bigger one?

Best, Raptor

Thats ecactly what I was talking about Supdon3!
:cool:
Well in that case, here's your answer: They didn't.

Back