Blair, Maverick?

F4U Corsair

Spaceman
Am i the only one out there who has a problem w/ the fact that Blair in Super Wing Commander has a different name? or that Paladin in the movie IS FRENCH!? Or that the ships in WC movie all look like huge subs? Whats up with all this

Oh yeah also, heres the movie flaws ive found;
I dont think the Concordia was constructed yet, wasnt Towlyn on the TCS Austin at that point?

Paladin is French

Broadswords werent in WC1 they were a WC2 exclusive

The Story in general never happened

Was there ever even a mention of Pilgrims in the game?

Hornets? An Academy fighter? Dont make me laugh!

Forbes wasnt in the video game

Iceman wasnt in the movie (though someone said he was the guy w/ the huge scar on his face)

Hunter got along w/ Blair in the game

Dilligent was a type of ship, NOT A NAME OF ONE!

Bossman already dead? he was a good wingman in the game, that sucks!

Jazz, doomsday, Spirit, and most of the others dont make an appearance

While Im happy that Knight met his end in the movie being a sucky copilot, that didnt happen in the game.

LET ME KNOW IF IM WRONG OR MISSED ANY!

Ah... this topic has been discussed several times in the past (or so I have heard, I havn't been here too long) and from what I can tell it is something that has been beaten to death. I think it might be best to search the forums and see what others have already said about it and to just stay away from the topic, unless some of the other veterans think differently.

EDIT: In fact I believe a lot of those questions have been answered in the past.

F4U Corsair said:
LET ME KNOW IF IM WRONG OR MISSED ANY!

You're definitely not the only one who has a problem with all the stupid crap in the movie, but you'll find that a good number of the people in this community will try to defend it and rationalize it..............You did miss the scene where the wrecked fighter is pushed off the flight deck and plummets off the edge as if there were gravity in outer space. I think we should take some advise from the movie itself and just say it "never existed".

Oh, good, I like these threads.

Am i the only one out there who has a problem w/ the fact that Blair in Super Wing Commander has a different name?

If your question is simply whether or not you're the only person to comment on this, then no. It's not really a valud issue, though - Super Wing Commander was developed and released well before Wing Commander III gave the character a name. :eek:ng time veterans will recall that the original two games let the player select the name themselves... and the various spinoffs and official guides gave or implied a variety of names for "Bluehair" (Carl T. LaFonog in the Ultimate Strategy Guide, Jack Lombard in the Academy manual, etc.)

or that Paladin in the movie IS FRENCH!?

I believe someone already linked to a discussion of this. I'm happy to expand on any questions you might have from that, though.

Or that the ships in WC movie all look like huge subs? Whats up with all this

This complaint has always been one of those red flags for me in movie debates - because to my eyes the only thing in the movie that looks remotely like a submarine is the Tiger's Claw model... and that's tempered with a flight deck, a modern conning tower and a broadside that's clearly inspired by 19th century sailing ships. Other than the fact that the promotional press liked to insist that the movie was inspired by "submarine warfare", the look just isn't there - the Dralthi and the ComCon are generic WC3-style jagged Kilrathi designs, the Concordia is very blatantly a World War 2 battleship, the Kilrathi ships look like modern destroyers, the Broadsword is a cold war bomber and the Rapier is a Corsair.

(On a more meta level, of course *all* space ship designs look like submarines -- because a submarine is the piece of modern equipment that most easily translates to flying around in the void of space. Both sorts of things need to dedicate lots of space to protecting their crew from a completely hostile external environment in the same manner... something an aircraft carrier or a tank doesn't necessarily need to worry about.)

I dont think the Concordia was constructed yet, wasnt Towlyn on the TCS Austin at that point?

There have been several ships named Concordia in the Wing Commander universe - the one seen in Wing Commander II is the third ship (that we know of) to bear the name. The ship in the movie, a Supercruiser, was the second. You can find a more detailed FAQ about ships named Concordia and some of the issues surrounding their histories here.

Broadswords werent in WC1 they were a WC2 exclusive

That's not really a sensible manner of measuring time, though. Certainly, nothing in Wing Commander 2 claims that Broadswords did not exist earlier. In fact, it was the earlier Wing Commander Academy animated series and not the 1999 movie which first introduced the idea that there are Broadsword-class ships onboard the Tiger's Claw. (We now know from The Confederation Handbook and False Colors that Broadswords entered service in 2635 and were still being used by reserve wings through the early seventies.)

The Story in general never happened

You'll have to be more specific on this one. The movie takes place between the first episode of Wing Commander Academy (Red and Blue), when Blair and Maniac are assigned to the Tiger's Claw, and the first series of the first game (when they're already there).

Was there ever even a mention of Pilgrims in the game?

No.

Hornets? An Academy fighter? Dont make me laugh!

That seems reasonable - given that Blair and Maniac flew Scimitars when they were at Flight School (on Wing Commander Academy), it's reasonable that they would have flown a less advanced fighter for their initial training at the Academy. Having training models of fighters based on actual combat aircraft is certainly nothing new - think of the T-33 companion to the F-80 Shooting Star.

Forbes wasnt in the video game

Neither was 90% of the Tiger's Claw complement (less than ten pilots appear in the game - but the carrier carries 104 fighters)... someone not appearing in Blair's squadron in Wing Commander is no cause to claim they don't exist. Consider that any character introduced in the later games (Downtown, Sparks, Vagabond, Rachel and so on and so forth) was 'alive' in 2654... and they didn't need to appear in Wing Commander (1) to have their existence validated.

That's all academic, of course, because Forbes dies during the course of the movie. The movie takes place roughly a month before Wing Commander (1) starts.

Iceman wasnt in the movie (though someone said he was the guy w/ the huge scar on his face)

That was Lt. Adam "Bishop" Polanski. Again, consider that there are 104(+) pilots on the Tiger's Claw - the Wing Commander movie featured only seven of them.

Hunter got along w/ Blair in the game

There really isn't much character interaction in the games - talking heads explain tactical and historical points to a nameless character who occasionally nods. That said, Hunter and Blair seem to resolve what their issues are by the end of the movie... which, again, takes place before the original Wing Commander.

Dilligent was a type of ship, NOT A NAME OF ONE!

Well, that's kind of an odd claim on two levels. What would you say about Prophecy's Midway, a Midway-class heavy carrier? Ships get their 'class' names from (in general) the first ship in the class commissioned.

That's not really the case here, though - the ship in the movie is an Errant-class merchantman that happens to be named Diligent. The name is not original to the brief appearance of a Diligent-class transport in Secret Missions 1... the Royal Navy has had several HMS Diligent's in its storied history. (More likely to be the source for the movie reference, though, was a French slave ship named Diligent in the 18th century...).

Bossman already dead? he was a good wingman in the game, that sucks!

Well... it certainly sucks for his family.

Jazz, doomsday, Spirit, and most of the others dont make an appearance

Spirit actually shows up in the novel and the original screenplay. For the same reasons relating to Iceman and Forbes above, there's no requirement that the movie shows every person in the universe (nor would the concept even be possible).

Jazz and Doomsday, of course, aren't assigned to the Tiger's Claw until 2655 during the Firekka missions.

While Im happy that Knight met his end in the movie being a sucky copilot, that didnt happen in the game.

It did if you let him die.

There really isn't much character interaction in the games - talking heads explain tactical and historical points to a nameless character who occasionally nods.

Oh, come on. That's a bit harsh.

The character on WC1 didn't say many things because it was supposed to be the player. So to speak, instead of you being Blair, the guy was you. No need to make him say much, on this case. Just let others talk to you.

I think WC1 was incredible in terms of story and characters. People still remember Iceman and Hunter from a 1990 game, which is more than we can say from most games. They were more than talking heads giving historical notes, they had personality.

I have mixed feelings about these threads. It's kind of sad that every new person to these forums (including myself, when I first joined) thinks that they're the first person to notice these things. It's a little painful.

I enjoy these threads, however, because the explainations (generally from our favorite Bandit) are always interesting and full of useful and nourishing logic. In much the same way that we often see threads about the multifaceted character that is Geoffrey Tolwyn, these threads are a good mental chewing excersize. A lot of the 'old pros' like the opportunity to chew over their favorite discussions, as well as flex their WC muscle.

Plus, I dare to say that LOAF really does enjoy these threads for two other reasons:

1) He's a generally nice guy who, I'd bet money, enjoys sharing his love of WC with others.

2) He said so.

Well, A simple search of the foruns will unearth several long discussions on these points, but LOAF covered them very well anyway.

overmortal said:
I have mixed feelings about these threads. It's kind of sad that every new person to these forums (including myself, when I first joined) thinks that they're the first person to notice these things. It's a little painful.

Well, yes and no.

I don't know that eveyone new here feels like everything they've noticed in anything WC is unique, or that it's something that has never been discussed. Sure, we'll see some stuff repeated in new threads and posts, but I think it most often comes from another source: excitement. I reference my own experience.

I thought my WC universe had basically died after Prophecy. The movie gave me a brief flicker of hope, but I was truly disappointed that something that had really mattered to me for 8 years or so was going to finally fade away. It wasn't until I stumbled across this forum, about a year ago, that I found a community of WC fans who enjoyed it as much (if not more) than I did. That was exciting. Thank God for the Internet!

For years I had so many things WC related that I wanted to talk about or discuss with other fans, hear other's opinions, "listen in" on other topic discussions, and so on. Finding this forum finally offered me a place of "release" of sorts. I see that with lots of new members. Yeah, I know repetition isn't encouraged here, but try to be understanding and remember what it felt like for us back when.

Bandit LOAF said:
Oh, good, I like these threads.

There have been several ships named Concordia in the Wing Commander universe - the one seen in Wing Commander II is the third ship (that we know of) to bear the name. The ship in the movie, a Supercruiser, was the second. You can find a more detailed FAQ about ships named Concordia and some of the issues surrounding their histories here.

Yeah ok I;ll give you that 1. I hadnt remembered seeing the other Concordias, but again, at that point and time wasnt Towlyn on the TCS Austin? and I continuously hear her referred to as a "Carrier" but in the Database shes classified as a dreadnought, as a history major I know what Dreadnoughts are, but what type of ship is a dreadnought in the game?

Yeah ok I;ll give you that 1. I hadnt remembered seeing the other Concordias, but again, at that point and time wasnt Towlyn on the TCS Austin? and I continuously hear her referred to as a "Carrier" but in the Database shes classified as a dreadnought, as a history major I know what Dreadnoughts are, but what type of ship is a dreadnought in the game?

Tolwyn doesn't move his flag to the Austin until late 2654/early 2655 -- between the Concordia supercruiser and the Austin he would command the Tiger's Claw for a short period.

In Wing Commander a dreadnought is generally a ship that has a large calibur weapon - like the Sivar-class's Proton Accelerator Gun or the Confederation-class's Phase Transit Cannon.

Well, I kinda like these threads but that's probably because I haven't participated in thousands of them like others here have. However I will take a stab at this...just because it kinda struck me funny just a second ago. Loaf, if the movie takes place before Wing Commander 1...how come Knight and Bossman are alive and kicking (most of the time kicking you in the rear because they can't aim straight) in Wing Commander 1 when they both supposedly died in the movie? Makes for a heckuva explanation. Here's an explanation I'm prepared to accept. Knight didn't die but ejected in the movie and was later recovered where he spent some time recovering in a Confed hospital where he later was cycled back to active duty on the Claw. Bossman never died prior to the movie but his death was elaborately staged so that he could be transferred to secret ops for assignments during the time frame of the movie. After his secret ops gig was finished he was once again reassigned to the Claw where he made a surprising return to his comrades (resurrected from the grave as it were). Just a thought, I'm interested in hearing anyone else comment on this or provide an explanation as it causes severe continuity problems as it stands.

Maj.Striker said:
how come Knight and Bossman are alive and kicking (most of the time kicking you in the rear because they can't aim straight).

BWAHAHAHA!!! Yeah I cant actually count the times Ive been killed by those two Pilots, no seriously, when Im going at a Cap ship, I get hit in the Butt by a missile and there goes my fighter, it wasnt a Kilrathi Missile either! W/ Knight I usually kill him the moment he becomes my wingman, I hang onto Bossman because hes a plot device later on. I like ur explanations pretty well, I wanna hear yours on the Concordia as well... it still is kinda hard to believe some of it...

Maj.Striker said:
Bossman never died prior to the movie but his death was elaborately staged so that he could be transferred to secret ops for assignments during the time frame of the movie. After his secret ops gig was finished he was once again reassigned to the Claw where he made a surprising return to his comrades (resurrected from the grave as it were).
Just a question on this: why would they send a dead man back to the ship he was on when he "died"? He would then be pounded with questions about where he was and why he was gone for so long, etc. Wouldn't it have been easier to have just been transfered off the Claw and then transfered back after the secret ops mission saying that the carrier was destroyed? I'd think it would just be too much hassle to fake a death and put him back on the ship in which he faked his own death.

The most logical explanation for Bossman that I have seen is that he was captured rather than killed. This fits with the "letter" in the Confederation Handbook about his last flight (Angel claims to his wife that he was 'vaporized painlessly', which was why the fighter could be recovered... which smells a bit like the End Run claim that you always write home that a loved one died painlessly rather than was captured.)

Okay, I'll take that for the Bossman...I assume that he was later recovered then since he was back on the ole' Claw in WC1. As for Knight, I would have to assume that he ejected rather than dying there in the movie...

Back