Blair and Casey

Vampa

Spaceman
This is interesting. I just came back from watching "Run Lola Run" at a friend's house and in the previews, there's a movie called Sparkler that stars our old friend Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Steven Petrarca, the guy who plays Casey in WCP. Now I need to go and rent that movie

Prinze was OK as Blair, though he could have been much better. As for Casey, I think most people dislike him because his character isn't developed because of the thin plot in Prophecy (though Blair wasn't realy developed till WC2 either).

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

I don't think anyone actually hated them. Some were disapointed in the way the characters were played but they didn't really hate the actors for it.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

I say Steve's acting as Casey was pretty okay, and the plot though thin, was really entertaining... really entertaining (come on... gotta love each Maniac scene, and the Casey-Maestro stuffs)...

Prinze... he's... how should I say... poster boy, pretty guy, but pretty hard for him to portray a more mature/developed Blair, and I say, he wouldn't fit to be the Heart of the Tiger.

-Arvin

Personally, I dislike the concept of casey, Iwould have perfered to have flown as someone who was introduced in WC4 like perhaps catscratch, just because then there would be the developed character and maybe one would be able to chose his/her own weapons and ships for any mission instead of having to just fly what you're told, I quite liked being able to choose which fighter and what weapons to take up.

As for prince, I didn't think he did a bad job, but he wasn't blair, I mean he just didn't fit the part, He wasn't Blue Hair and wasn't Mark Hammill and while maybe they wanted him to look like a younger blair, he was too peppy and to excitable to be the man who becomes the Heart of the Tiger.

Anybody remember 'Top Gun' father complex?

The Movie Blair was living under his parents' shadows, especially his father, the notorious war hero Arnold Blair.

And then, Lance Casey had to live up to his dad's shadow, the Iceman himself... Michael Casey.

-Arvin

You can't play as Catscratch. He dies in WC4.

I thought Petrarca did a good job, given the circumstances. You can't expect grammy-winning acting from games people, be realistic.

That, remains to be seen.

Neither the novel, nor the game tell us if he dies. And though the fact that he's not in FMV after you save him could sugest that OSI planned to kill him off, we'll have to wait for a next game or whatever and see if someone will decided to reveal Catscratch's fate.

i thought casey wasn't THAT good...i mean, maybe the bloke is a top actor but we just didn't see enough of him (good thing or bad thing?). the scene where he is telling dallas off he looks like a TRY-HARD wannabe leader...
he grins too much (and he looks like an idiot when he does that) whenever a woman talks to him, no matter how old they are (ie. rachel and finley)
he just seemed to lack the respect that we all had for blair. i think that most ppl that have played wcp would feel the same way that stilleto and all the other senior officers felt - here's some green kid straight outa accademy (plebe) and the only credit that he's got is his father, which counts for zippo once he's in the cockpit...he had to earn a rep, but it seemed that he was an ordinary pilot who was going thru the same thing as everyone else, with the exception that he happened to be a better pilot

as for freddie prince jnr in wcm...that guy was a pretty boy...didn't fit the blair we've come to learn and love(?) i don't think prince was as "passionate" as he could have been. blair in wc3,4,p was a pretty "pasisonate" bloke, and about his job and the rest. even in wc1 and 2 the "yes sir u won't be dissapointed" was kind of missing. prince made blair just kind of lie around, do nothing. previously it would be blair who would initiate most stuff (conversations etc...specially in the game) but in the movie prince just so happened to be in the vicinity of where the action was going, and that's what helped the plot move along...

silent warrior...i hate both of them

Finley wasn't that old. Rachel, uh...let's not hike into that jungle again.

You may have initiated some conversations as Blair, but have you noticed how many times, someone else says, as Blair enter a room in WC2, "Christopher, joins us" or in W1, "Sit down Lt., we were just discussing..." It wasn't until Blair was more seasoned (WC3) that he'd walk up to someone and say "Going somewhere?" or "May I sit down?". Then his behavior comes full circle in WCP. He's almost a shadowy figuire on the Midway except with Drake.

Perhaps what gives an added complexity to Blair's (movie) behavior was his heritage. Judging from what may have happened at the Academy because of his cross, it's understandable that he didn't want to boisterously bounce around near people likely to be prejudiced towards Pilgrims.

StarLight: I don't know if you've noticed but Blair's had a lot more time to build up respect then Casey has. I mean don't you think it odd that Casey, in 1 game, could gain the same rep as Blair whose had 5 games, a cartoon series and a movie?

Originally posted by StarLight

he just seemed to lack the respect that we all had for blair. i think that most ppl that have played wcp would feel the same way that stilleto and all the other senior officers felt - here's some green kid straight outa accademy (plebe) and the only credit that he's got is his father, which counts for zippo once he's in the cockpit...he had to earn a rep, but it seemed that he was an ordinary pilot who was going thru the same thing as everyone else, with the exception that he happened to be a better pilot

I liked Casey, I thought he had potential as a character. The actor that played him was, for a game, pretty good. I think he's also lately been on some series on AMC about the American Movie Studios during their Golden Age. I'll agree that Casey was green, but I was under the impression that that was teh case with a lot of the pilots on the Midway. The War was over, the situation with the Border Worlds was calm, they basically went after pirates and malcontents. Yes, you had some Kilrathi veterans(and/or veterans of the Black Lance Incident) on board (Maniac, Hawk, etc.), but most of those pilots, like Stiletto, had maybe a year of peacetime active service. Casey did have a rep, if I recall, highest scores ever out of the Academy. He also had the most demerits, so he was a bit of a problem child :) Blair got quite a rep by the end of WC1, with the skills Casey (or I/you ;) ) had, it was no surprise he got one too. He was in the right place at the right time. He was a bit to ceery sometimes, though.

I dunno, I didn't mind Casey when I first played WCP, but now... I don't really like or dislike him, but I agree he could have been better, even with the point that he's only had one (and a half) games to develop. At least his e-mails and journal entries in the SO fiction sounded more mature.

As for Prinze, well I'm not a follower of 'teen idols' so I haven't seen him in his other movies/shows/whatever, but I also think he's not the sort of Blair we expected, even if the rest of the movie cast was markedly different from what we know as well. I liked Captain Sansky(sp?) though. Good man, stuck up for our poor 'hero' when he was under racial assault from Gerald. I take it he died from his injuries?

He might of, but I was disapointed with the French accented Paladin and the fact that angel didnt sound very Begian (SP?). That threw the movie for me, and then Prince on top of that GEEZE. He is by no means a good actor and no matter what the script said he was, he was just not blair. We all know who is blair and anyone else just wouldn't seem right, unless it was an exact replica of Mark Hamil just 20 years younger.

One more thing, in WCIII and WCIV maniac is always talking about blair like blair is over the hill, but maniac went to the academy with him and also recieved his first assignment (the Tigers Claw) at the same time as him. This is kinda odd unless its like friendly joking around.

IMO, Prinze was an excellent Blair -- he's a near duplicate of the WC1 Blair, complete with that starry look and mouth that stays open at unusual times.

I thought it was rather neat for Paladin to have a French accent... I mean, as a professional Intel guy, he would have to change accents regularly, non?

The one thing that did confuse me though was that he claimed to be a Commodore (or did I hear him wrong?), while later on he was down to Major. So which one was his real rank at the time? Major or Commodore? Or did he somehow manage to arrange for himself to hold ranks both in the Space Force and in Naval Intel at the same time?

The WC3 novel (or was that TPOF?) even talks about Paladin not having an accent during the briefings on the Victory, and how Blair always suspected that his accent was fake.

Abaout Paladins rank, IMO, after PS Confed lowered it as a punishment for all that he did in that novel.

About Prinze, he doesn't bother me, there's nothing special about him as an actor, but he's not bad either.

Back