Black Lance Command Story.. "Age of Prosperity"

WildFire

Spaceman
Chapter I

Sol Sector
1845 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Space Admiral Schwanger’s office

“Yeoman, please find Captain Jared de Brabant for me.” A voice said through the speaker.
                “Yes Sir!” Yeoman Baker said getting up from his desk, which was outside the Black Lance Space Admiral’s office
                Space Admiral Schwanger sat in his large office and began to look through the file on his desk.  As he began to thumb through the file, his eyebrow was raised.
                “Yes, I think he is the most capable for this mission.” Schwanger said turning around while looking out his window into the vastness of space, yet also looking at a new carrier codenamed “Prospero”
                The Prospero was one of the newest Black Lance Super-Carriers, whose standard size was between 1900 and 2100 meters. It had a crew complement of over 7000, of these 240 fighter pilots, 180-bomber pilots, add to that about 300 maintenance crew members. A crew this large must have a ship equally large. The Prospero is 1830 meters long and weighs 200000 metric tons.  When thinking of names, Space Admiral Schwanger was debating on calling it “Behemoth” just for the sheer size, yet it was decided that “Prospero” or “Prosperity” would be used.  Obviously this name was chosen due to the nature of its mission.  What the Prospero would do had the potential to usher in a new “Age of Prosperity” for the human species.

2200 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Pilot Country

As I took my glass in one hand, placed it to my lips, I could taste the sweetness of the Antaean Ale as it touched my tongue.  There was commotion all about, pilots getting drunk in their off time, then fights breaking out because each of the pilot’s testosterone level spiraled out of control.  I have lived an interesting life, I thought as I began to remember the past.  This was not uncommon for most fighter pilots because we have learned to appreciate life, due to our affiliation with death.
                As I continued to drink, I remembered my family when I was a child, the beautiful suburban area where I grew up.  The beautiful maple trees and how in the fall, the leaves became a beautiful orange and red.   The cool breezes that permeated the autumn air under the beautiful crescent moon and how I would take my girlfriend to a lovely spot near the maple trees that surrounded my small town.  In space we have none of that.  No wind, no trees only darkness.  Never ending darkness of space.  Pilots must learn to remember and appreciate the subtleties of home on Earth.  Should we ever forget these things, we will become just as cold an empty as space itself.
                Suddenly I was awoken from my remembrance by a tall dark haired Lieutenant Commander. With his piercing dark eyes, he said, “Hey, I remember you…weren’t you with my girlfriend last week? Yeah, I could have sworn it was you.”
                As I listened to his words and smelled his alcohol-laced breath, I could clearly tell that he was quite drunk.  Looking at his name badge, I gathered that his last name was “Antonis”.
                “I believe you have me confused with someone else. I am already married.”  I said facing him and holding up my hand in front of his face so he could see my ring.
                “No, no, don’t try that married stuff with me, you did the nasty with my girlfriend.” Lt. Cmdr Antonis said raising his fist as if to strike me.
                Sensing the impending danger, I prepared myself.  His fist came toward my face; with lightening reflexes I caught his wrist, bent it backwards behind his back, and threw him away from me.  He recoiled off one of the tables and lunged back at me, I sidestepped and brought my elbow down hard on the base of his neck. He collapsed from the blow, unconscious. I straightened my uniform jacket, stepped over the unconscious officer and began to leave the bar. Before I left, I stopped two MPs and told them that the unconscious officer on the floor is to be placed in the Brig on charges of striking a superior officer and attempting to incite a riot.  I then continued my walk to my quarters, the MPs entered the bar and the last thing I remember is them picking up the unconscious Lieutenant Commander and placing wrist restraints on him.

2300 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Outside Capt. Jared de Brabant’s quarters

I stood outside my quarters for a few seconds; I was developing a terrible headache.  “Damn it!” I said cursing myself.  I should have known better, if there is one thing that I can classify as a weakness my inability to contain alcohol is one of them.  Reaching into my pocket, I found my keycard; with the greatest of care I slid it through the electronic lock on my door.  As the light turned green, the door automatically opened.  I stepped through and said, “Lights, low.” 
                The automated response turned the lights on at a dimmed state.  I unbuttoned my black uniform jacket, placed it over my desk chair and began to unbutton my black undershirt.  As the undershirt fell from my shoulders, I walked into the bathroom and stepped into the sonic shower.  The electronic sound waves cleansed my body without the cumbersome need to remove my clothes. 
                “God, I need a real shower with real live water.”
                Unfortunately, only Carrier Command Staff and Black Lance higher ups could get real water showers.  Water in space was a rare commodity that could not be freely given. There is a certain level of water used for various purposes, and should that water level drop the results could be disastrous. I stepped out of my sonic prison and toweled off my face.  This was rather strange considering there was nothing to towel off.  Guess it was just out of force of habit.  Walking out of the bathroom, I walked over to my dresser, reached in the top mahogany drawer and pulled out some shorts and a t-shirt.  Changing, I set my black uniform pants alongside my uniform jacket.  I paused for a second and looked at the black inverted triangle with a neon blue lightening bolt inside. This is what I have dedicated my life too?  What do I expect?  I came from nothing, grew up with nothing, and now the Black Lance provides everything for me.
                I crawled into my bed, pulled my blankets up to my chest and began to remember more details about my life.  I was not exactly poor as one might consider a transient poor.  My parents were both highly educated Public Administrators, yet with all that education and refinement they had the hardest time showing that they loved me.  Emotional attachment and signals was pretty much banned in my families’ household.  With just enough love to keep me alive in infancy, I was brought up never to rely on anyone.  Everything I have and everything I symbolize and embody is not a reflection of my parents but rather a reflection of my true inner soul.
                During my high school years, I had very few friends and was not widely known.  One night, however I first gazed upon Theresa Salyers under a fully lit moon, her beautiful blonde hair and deep soul piercing blue eyes gazed deep within my soul and touched something I had never felt before.  From that point on, I gathered up enough courage and asked her out.  Three years later, our relationship progressed from just dating to something more serious.  However there was a problem, I had just graduated from high school and was preparing to go to the Black Lance Academy, this was the best and only military academy that specialized in Alien First Contact procedures as well as Covert Command Training.
                As I left for the shuttle that would take me to the Academy, Theresa followed me to the station, before I boarded the shuttle, she ran up to me and kissed me right on the lips.  As with most things, we decided to wait.  We were both too young to comprehend the ideals of marriage.  Anyway, six years later I graduated top of my class and set out to find my long lost love.  Theresa had gone to the University of Russia to study Xenobiology and Bio-Organics.  She had just completed an internship with Dr. Pietre Kocourekova, in the Ukraine.  When I was in the Ukraine, Theresa and I rekindled our relationship and the love we had.   Now we were older, wiser, and more mature.  I proposed to her on her 24th birthday. She accepted and six months later we were given a full military style wedding ceremony.  However, after this event, the problems began… I was career military, and Theresa was career scientist.  We never truly had time for our marriage.  I would not say it failed, more like it just got placed on the back burner whereas our careers took precedence.  Last I had heard from her was three years ago, she was conducting a Xenobiological dig on a deserted planet somewhere in the Altonis system.  After much remembrance, I finally fell asleep, accepting the cold darkness of the oblivion we call the subconscious REM sleep.

1600 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Capt. Jared De Brabant’s Quarters

“Buzzzzzz!” the door chime went.
                “Argh! Who is it?” I groaned tossing and turning in by bed.
                “Sir, open up. I have orders to bring you to Space Admiral Schwanger.” A voice said into the intercom
                “What does that old coot want?” still unable to get myself up.
                “I am not sure what he wants but I would advise against calling him “old coot”.”
                “Ahh! I can never get any sleep. Give me ten minutes.” Finally dragging myself from my drudgenous state.
                “Aye Sir.”
                I rose out of bed, hopped into the sonic prison, and grabbed my uniform from where I had placed it the night before.  Quickly I dressed and opened my door.  There stood at full attention a Yeoman, as I looked at the nametag “Baker”.  The moment I appeared, Yeoman Baker snapped to attention and saluted me.  Returning is salute I finished buttoning my outer uniform jacket.
                If you would follow me please, Sir to Space Admiral Schwanger’s office.” The Yeoman said turning around and beginning to walk down the hallway.
                I complied and followed him down the narrow hallway.  Catching a quick glimpse outside, I saw a massive carrier; its construction was almost completed.  This carrier was the largest I had ever seen, I wondered who would be given command of such a vessel, perhaps I would be lucky enough to get assigned there as a Squadron Commander. Yeoman Baker continued to lead me through the Black Lance Command hallways for about twenty minutes. Finally he stopped in front of a large office. He moved over to a small desk that as stationed and to the left of the door. Tapping a button he said,” Sir, I have Captain De Brabant here to see you.”
                “Send him in.” Admiral Schwanger’s aged voice said in reply.
                “The Space Admiral will see you now.” Yeoman Baker said opening the door.
                As I stepped through the door, Schwanger was sitting at his desk eyeing my carefully. I could not help but feel alittle intimidated by him.  I was nothing but a lonely fighter pilot, what could he possibly want with me that could not be said by some other commanding officer.  I quickly saluted him and said,” Captain Jared De Brabant, call sign “Hawk”, reporting as ordered.”
                “Sit down Captain.” Schwanger said returning my salute and placing his hand in front of a seat, motioning me to sit down.
                I sat down still at attention. Seeing my tension, Schwanger stood up, turned around with his back to me, yet looking outside his window.
                “At ease, Captain.” Schwanger said with his hands behind his back.
                “Aye Sir.” I responded relaxing myself.
                “ Do you see this ship Captain?  It is the largest we have ever considered. We spent hundreds upon hundreds of billions of credits on this craft. Do you have any idea why we would do that?” pointing to the large carrier in space.
                “Actually Sir, I cannot comprehend why we would build such a massive carrier.  We are not engaged in any wars, so it cannot be battle related.”
                “We built it because we had nothing better to do.  Without wars, conflicts or even a major skirmish in the past few years we have gotten to a stale mate in our evolutionary development. After much consideration, we have decided that it is time for humanity to move forward yet again.  We must achieve the next step in our evolution.  Under orders from the Black Lance Joint Chiefs of Staff, I have ordered the commencement of this ship for a specific mission. Tell me Captain, what do you know about the Eternal Ones?”
                “Well, all I know is what is taught to young children.  From what I can recall they are a legendary culture that had the ability to manipulate space-time.  Other than that, I do not know anything else.”
                “Six years ago one of our destroyers came upon an unknown alien probe.  It was dead in space, no electrical or biological activity of any kind.  The destroyer pulled it into its cargo bay and began to study it.  The destroyers name was “Convectus”.  We believe two things, one, the alien probe was sent buy the Eternal Ones, and two, something happened to the Convectus as a result of contact with that probe.  We traced the probes point of origin based on the Convectus’ last transmission.  It pointed core ward.”
                “Core Ward?  This is farther than even our farthest Colonies reach. There are too many unknowns, black holes, unknown races, even supply shortages could damage the chances for survival.”
                “We believe that you can help with those situations. After looking through your file, I have decided to make you the Captain of your very own carrier. What you see before you Captain is yours.”
                “What is her name?”
                “She is called the “Prospero” for the new age that we hope she will bring in from finding the Eternal Ones.”

Chapter II
600 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Brig, Cell 34A

Slowly I opened my eyes, God, my head was swimming.  Last thing I remember was finding a picture of my girlfriend and her lover, then heading into pilot country.  I can’t even remember how many drinks I had.  Carefully I tried to raise myself to my feet.  Where was I?  I headed toward the window. Outside, I saw this unbelievably large carrier.
                “Oh God!” I said turning around quickly, heading to the toilet, puking my brains out.
                “What the hell happened?” I questioned as I wiped the remaining spittle of vomit from my mouth with my jacket cuff.
                As I removed my face from the toilet bowl, I tried to regain my composure. Shutting my eyes, then opening them again, I began to focus alittle more clearly on my surroundings.  Four walls, a toilet, and a door… Interesting, this place has the very same layout as the brig.  Wait a minute! Cautiously I walked over to the door, testing a hunch I touched the door. I received a nasty shock that threw me back a few feet. I staggered and wondered what I did. I now knew for a fact that I was in the brig. Why was I here though?  More specifically, why is my neck sore?

700 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Brig

I paced around my cell still wondering what I did to land myself here. Not that I minded, the brig and I had a tendency to become very well acquainted since I joined the Black Lance.  The only thing I can guess happened is I got drunk and did something rather foolish.   Chuckling slightly to myself, I began to recall the time I had gotten drunk, went to the Flight Deck, took out one of the Chimera Class fighters and began doing figure 8’s around the carrier I was assigned to. Suddenly I heard the force field deactivate, the doors opened and with the familiar hiss.  A tall well-built Marine armed with a rifle entered, with a voice that commanded respect he said, “Lieutenant Commander Christian Antonis, follow me please.”
                Getting up I followed the marine out of the safety of the cell, as soon as I exited, two marines rushed me, slamming my body up against the outer cell wall.
                “What the hell?”  I said as the two marines grabbed both of my arms and a third marine slapped wrist restraints on me
                “You just keep your mouth shut!” The third marine said tightening the restraints to the point where I winced in pain.
                The two other marines who were holding me then grabbed each of my arms and forcefully began to drag my to the Lance Tribunal.

800 Zulu
Black Lance Command
Lance Military Tribunal

“Case number 386135-42, Public versus Lieutenant Commander Christian “Jester” Antonis. Admiral Poltava presiding. “ The court recorder said as I was being led to a table where my JAG lawyer sat.
                The two marines both stood on either side and pushed me into my seat.
                “Lt. Cmdr. Christian Antonis, you are charged with striking a superior officer, a Captain Jared de Brabant, and attempting to incite a riot in a place called by the fighter pilots as “Pilot Country”.  How do you plead?”  Poltava said looking directly at me.
                Upon hearing the charges, I was utterly shocked. Never had I gotten into this much trouble, especially over a girl

600l

------------------
In the darkness of night, One single creature lights up the sky.
Founder of theBlack Lance Command

Uh, BL? I didn't read this yet, but I don't realy like story's that bring back the BL.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

All I ask is that you read before you judge.. the Black LAnce was evil, this is not.. just look..

------------------

I'm not saying it's bad.
smile.gif
But stories like Quartos about Paladin going into Kilrathi space or a story about some Privateers (don'r remember by who) although unofficial do fit in with the WCU. Although I didn't read this yet, it's very unlikely that BL is still alive, and even if it is there's only few of them left just trying to live peacefully. And even if they are still alive they would never work with Confed (I think that's what this is about). Either because Confed wouldn't let them after what they did, or because they're "evil" and don't want to have anything to do with the inferior race.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
You have misunderstood my story totally.. It is nothing like the BL. Please understand teh the Black Lance Command is not really the Black Lance.. Never was.. infact it is still a confed based organization. It only takes the BL namesake becuase they were the first ones to realize taht the Nephilim are coming. None of the things mentioned are even remotely related the the BL as mentioned in WCIV. It is just a piece of creative "What if" work. All I ask is that you read it.

------------------

OK if it doesen't have anything to do with WC4 BL than I'll be happy. Does it explain how they found the Nephilim?

------------------
Gen. Patton

Not as of yet. however, I have a special surprise cooked up for the crew. They are going in search of the Eternal Ones. However what they thought were teh Eternal ones was really the Nephilim...

The WCIV BL (and the technology that they used including the Dragon) was hideously evil. I would never reproduce any of that for one reason... While it may be used differently it is still the BL tech. If you head to my domain (http://www.blance.com) and look at our fighter complement and such, you will notice that we do not use ANY of the BL tech.. not even the FP!

------------------

If this BL is not evil, then why do they look upon conflict as a good thing?
And anyway, if they call themselves the Black Lance, then they obviously felt the original Black Lance was good. That pretty much tells you what they're thinking
smile.gif

Well I don't know anything about any Black Lance but I like the story so far. I see no reason why a "rough around the edges" military faction couldn't exist in the WC universe. The "down and dirty" characters are actually a pleasant change and their thoughts and actions are well rooted in the reality we call life. One thing to watch out for is the rate at which the story moves along. In my opinion it's too rapid at the moment, resulting in some breaks in story flow and a few poorly structured sentences.

Earthworm: Erhm. I hope you don't mean my story, cause there are no privateers there...yet. =)

Thank you Matrix, your kind words of encouragement have helped to give me the strength to continue on my quest to create this new BL.

------------------

Matrix: I told you to play WC 4... The original Black Lance was a Darwinist/Nazist group. They not only felt that the strong would survive - they also felt that the weak required some help in dying. They wanted mankind to be strong - and if a few billion "weak" people had to be removed along the way... Well, they weren't worthy anyway, right? The Black Lance had used bioweapons which selectively killed people based on their genetic patterns (if you want to weed out, say, blue-eyed people, just tweak the code). That is why those of us who have played WC 4 are fairly sceptical about any organisation named The Black Lance, or the New Black Lance, or whatever.

Which is not to say that WildFire's Black Lance is evil. But he's going to have to prove it to be otherwise.

WildFire: Isn't it kinda confusing to write in first person and then switch person? I was actually wondering how the hell the guy ended up in the brig right after he got assigned to the new carrier, until I realised that it was the other guy.

Not really, I have a tendency to when I write, change viewpoints.. makes my characters more interesting if oyu can see through their eyes.

WildFire: It's not confusing for you, because it's your story
smile.gif
. Keep in mind that the readers don't know anything apart from what you write. If you write in first person, then we assume that that person is the hero of the story. When you change views, you confuse us.
BTW, I think you should rework the paragraph describing the carrier. It's way too technical. It's nice to see that you know all that about it, but frankly, we don't care how many metric tons it weighs
smile.gif
. Please, reduce the number of stats - if at all possible, use descriptive words instead of numbers. Of course, this is just a suggestion
smile.gif

Okay.. how about I say it was large enough to put the fear of god into teh Kilrathi?

=)

------------------

Oh, and before I forget. Go read my story. Switch to topics from the last ten (maybe even twenty) days, and go to the "My story..." thread for the first chapter, and so on. Don't forget to post comments, too
smile.gif

Back