Bismarck and Graf Spee (split from Anyone not like the books?)

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Since vBulletin apparently doesn't have a split thread adminstration feature, I decide to create a new thread rather than highjacking the old one.

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
How cool you wrote that... :rolleyes:

Anyway it was no simple claim it's the truth as you admit. And while it's true for the Bismarck that she was badly beaten up (as I wrote before) it's not that true for the Graf Spee. Still, no thread hijacking.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Graf Spee wasn't even that badly damaged - the German commander was just intimidated by the ferocity of the British assault and though that he would be going up against a much greater force than he actually was. That, IIRC, was a direct cause of the reason Bismarck fought so hard rather than surrendering, because Hitler had ordered the Kriegsmarine to fight to the death following Graf Spee.

Thx for the update :)

I alway knew the Bismark was sunk, and that the GrafSpee was heavily damaged and was self-scuttled after being denied refuge.

I know GrafSpee was a Kind of a supercruiser (Armed enough to beat any ship in its class, and fast enough to out run any ship she couldn't beat...) but what was she exactly?
Who were her sister-ships?

I know GrafSpee was a Kind of a supercruiser (Armed enough to beat any ship in its class, and fast enough to out run any ship she couldn't beat...) but what was she exactly?
Who were her sister-ships?

The term is "pocket-battleship" (really more like large cruisers) and they were designed to comply with the restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles. Her sister ships were the Deutchland (renamed Lutzow at the start of World War II, reportedly because Hitler thought naming a ship after its home country would invite attack) and Scheer. They were used mainly as commerce raiders to avoid having to go up against battleships and other fleet units.

Searching Google brought up the following links:
http://www.grafspee.com/
http://www.feldgrau.com/grafspee.html Timeline
http://www.ocean98.org/spee.htm Battle of the River Plate and Hans Langsdorff

Interesting update:

In February 2004 a salvage team began work raising the Admiral Graf Spee. The operation is in part being funded by the government of Uruguay and as well as from the private sector, as the wreck is now a hazard to navigation. The first major section, the 27 ton heavy gunnery control station, was raised on 25 February 2004. It is expected to take several years to raise the entire wreck. Film director James Cameron is filming the salvage operation. After it has been raised it is planned that the ship will be restored and put on display at the National Marine Museum in Montevideo.

There's an article on the project here.

There most certainly is a split thread feature, but normal posters like yourself (and I use the term loosely) don't have access to it.

Why does the Chat Zone keep repeating what happened to the Graf Spee, anyway? Isn't this like the third thread where someone has explained that it was scuttled?

Edit: Search says it's the fourth.

"After completing his damage inspection Langsdorff walked smartly to the Captain's bridge. Lieutenant-Commander Wattenberg rose to greet him as he entered the room. Langsdorff's face was haggard and his manner brisk. 'Our damage cannot be repaired with means on board. We must run into port somewhere for repairs. Ascertain whether Montevideo or Buenos Aires comes into question'."

Basicly, Due to political presure, the ship had to leave port before being able to complete her repairs. Because of it, she was scuttled, rather then face defeat.

That is actually what I knew - she was pounded, and becuase she had no sufficient port time, her skipper scuttled her...

(although there are some hints for her being lacking on armor, which might have scare off her skipper)

Sorry, I wasn't online for some days. But great, so I haven't to send an PM to HammerHead to avoid the thread hijacking.

Bob already covered up most so just quickly: Yes, Graf Spee was damaged by those British elements and went into the harbour for repairs. The Captain estimated full repari would take 2 weeks but he was only given (after international law I think) 72 hours. The British used some tricks to hinder Graf Spee from leaving port quickly and made the Captain think that British reinforcements were nearer than they were.

But my point was about:

HammerHead said:
(...)
and on the same note, to Mekt-Hakkikt, who claimed both the GrafSpee and the Bismark were sunk by their crews... well, yes they did... after being pounded to a practical smoldering chunks of twisted metal by British naval elements, they prefered to scuttle thier own ships... how Kilrathi of them.
(...)

The Graf Spee was in no way "pounded to a smoldering chunk of twisted metal". She was damaged, that's all. And to be honest, I took offense to your "how Kilrathi of them". By scuttling the ship, the Captain avoided additional bloodshed.

So, we're all clear now. :)

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
The Graf Spee was in no way "pounded to a smoldering chunk of twisted metal". She was damaged, that's all. And to be honest, I took offense to your "how Kilrathi of them". By scuttling the ship, the Captain avoided additional bloodshed.

So, we're all clear now. :)

I stand corrected :D.

And no offense itended so I apologize :).

Back