Battlestar Galactica

I was just on Sci-Fi.com, they are making the show it starts in Jan 2005.

I know a good chunk of you guys are not going to like this lol.

i think the show looks awesome, i saw the premier episodes and thought it was pretty good, although it didn't seem much like the original, although i haven't seen very many of the original episodes.

I'm somewhat of a fan of the original series, but they just seemed to run out of material after about 10-12 episodes. I liked the new mini-series shown on Sci-Fi too, and I hope the same thing doesn't happen this time out.

Yeah, that was kind of crazy- Starbuck as a hot chick that'd had a fling with Zac and whose interest had turned to Apollo, Boomer as both a female and a Cylon, Apollo's relationship with Adama, and so on. I guess the creators/writers of the show felt that with the passage of time came change, and that said changes would enable the show to target a larger, more diverse audience.

BigsWickDagger said:
Yeah, that was kind of crazy- Starbuck as a hot chick that'd had a fling with Zac and whose interest had turned to Apollo, Boomer as both a female and a Cylon, Apollo's relationship with Adama, and so on. I guess the creators/writers of the show felt that with the passage of time came change, and that said changes would enable the show to target a larger, more diverse audience.

Yeah, but SEX changes? Yuck.

BlackJack2064 said:
I think the whole point is to simply forget the original series existed and this is the "new" story.

An interesting observation. Maybe the idea behind some of the changes (human-looking Cylons, the Starbuck/Apollo tension, Colonel Tigh as a drunk, etc.) is to give the writers more "fodder" and the series additional avenues to explore. The original, as I said in my earlier post, seemed to run out of gas after about 12 episodes. They kind of lost me once they went off on that whole Eastern Alliance tangent.

After the mini-series aired for the second time I went to the BSG Web site to get some feedback from the more die-hard fans. They really seemed to either love it or hate it- there was hardly any middle ground. To some it was simply a sacrilege, while others viewed it with a renewed sense of hope. Apparently Richard Hatch has been campaigning for years to get a revised version of the show back on television. Maybe this is close to what the fans had hoped for.

Not anywhere.
Last I read, and this was from a BSG message board, was it would hit in August.

Speaking for the old series, I liked the Eastern Alliance concept and it seemed, from the episodes and interviews, that the production team was planning to have the EA, wow that's kind of ironic :D , join forces with the Cylons in some sort of unholy alliance to try and finish off the fleet. And that would be the major story arc for a second season. but I could be wrong.

Shaggy said:
Speaking for the old series, I liked the Eastern Alliance concept and it seemed, from the episodes and interviews, that the production team was planning to have the EA, wow that's kind of ironic :D , join forces with the Cylons in some sort of unholy alliance to try and finish off the fleet. And that would be the major story arc for a second season. but I could be wrong.

I've never heard that until now, though maybe they were planning to take the series in that direction. But, when you think about it, would that really have made much sense? Weren't the Cylons commited to wiping out all of humanity, and not just the descendants of the 12 colonies? Isn't that what Adama feared could happen to Earth if the fleet reached Terra Firma and found its inhabitants to be technologically inferrior? I suppose the Eastern Alliance could have been duped in that way, much like Baltar, though I'd hope there would only be but so many stupid people in one universe.

I think it is a travesty that they are even considering a new battlestar galactica and then to add some dodgy new characters and make some of the original ones women???

The original was a classic and it should not have been pulled when it was, it was in it's prime and was the biggest and best Sci Fi show of its time. Now I have the DVD set of it all and it is fantastic, I even recall that watching it as a young child first got me interested in wing commander, I wanted to blow up ships like starbuck and apollo did.

Progress is not always good;.

climber said:
The original was a classic and it should not have been pulled when it was, it was in it's prime and was the biggest and best Sci Fi show of its time.QUOTE]

Agreed. I was just a kid, but I remember being very upset when the series was cancelled after only 19 episodes. I was fairly fresh off of a Star Wars high and had a major Sci-Fi jones. For years I thought they didn't renew Galactica because of poor ratings. Later I found out it was because of high production costs. That made it worse. Galactica 1980 didn't make me feel any better either.

Last week I finished watching the DVD series of the original BSG and it brought back alot of fond memories. I always wondered about Cain and the Pegasus and used to write fanfic about that ship and it's return to the Fleet. I also loved the daggit.

I was not happy with the new series. The new Adama did not have a command presence and the Starbuck/Apollo and Tigh characters were cast wrong. It was nice to see the Galactia again and of course the Vipers. Hmm...how would a Viper fair in the WC universe?

Matt Nelson
Blacklance Hqs

Back