Battle of Earth FAQ

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Would anyone be willing to compile a FAQ for the events preceeding to and involving the battles of Earth, Sirius, etc...

I was thinking with all the random tidbits throught the forum that comes up in the 'search' button, it would be nice to have an all inclusive essay.

Some points to cover:

1) Timeline of Events from the 6th Battle of Munro, through the Armistice, then post battle.

2) An order of battle. Surviving units on both sides.

3) Terran cities and colony worlds nuked.

4) Strategic losses, like important star systems and facilities.

5) Important personages on both sides.

6) Conclusion. A summary of events from the end of the battle to the Treaty of Torgo.

I am willing to help. I won't have my copy of FA though until at least Sunday. I will begin writing a doc, so any info you guys can send that you would like added, please post!

This will be a great endeavor, but I believe it would help with various mod projects. Also, people not familiar with the events could be easily directed to the FAQ (like the straightforward Concordia FAQ).

Thanks

Were we going to do this?

1) Timeline of Events from the 6th Battle of Munro, through the Armistice, then post battle.

Eighth Munro/Armistice - June 29th, 2668
Formal Armistice - July 9th, 2668
Discovery of Kilrathi Fleet - September 29th, 2668
Bomb Plot - October 3rd, 2668
Declaration of War - October 22nd, 2668
Battle of the Hell Hole - October 23rd, 2668
Battle of Earth - November 2nd, 2668

2) An order of battle. Surviving units on both sides.

3) Terran cities and colony worlds nuked.

Cities: Chicago, Pittsburg, Boston, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Berlin, Stockholm, Constantinople, Paris, Omaha, Rio, Tripoli & Kiev.

Eleven planets were destroyed, including Sirius Prime, Gilead, Warsaw and (possibly) Hanover.

(Hanover/Hanover Station were attacked *before* Jukaga asked Tolwyn to surrender - it's possible that just the station was destroyed.)

4) Strategic losses, like important star systems and facilities.

No star systems changed hands.

5) Important personages on both sides.

Here's a (n incomplete) character list for Fleet Action

Terran Confederation Politicians-
Harold Rhodam, President of the Terran Confederation
David Quinson, Vice President of the Terran Confederation
Rhonda Jamison, Foreign Secretary of the Terran Confederation

Terran Confederation Military-
Admiral Nuragami (alt: Noragami), Head of the JCS
General Wayne "Big Duke" Grecko, Marine General JCS
Admiral Wayne Spencer Banbridge, Commander Third Fleet
Admiral Ching, Commanding Officer TCS Moskva
Admiral Bjornsson, Commanding Officer TCS Verdun
Admiral Vance Richards, Head of Military Intelligence
Rear Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn, Commander Task Force 45
Rear Admiral Allen Zitek
Lyford Beverage, Commanding Officer First Cruiser Squadron
Commodore Mike Polowski, Commanding Officer Third Destroyer Group
Captain Jason "Bear" Bondarevsky, Commanding Officer TCS Tarawa
Colonel James "Paladin" Taggart, Special Operations
Lieutenant Commander Westerlin, Commanding Officer Fleet Yard Five
Major Etienne "Doomsday" Montclair, Squadron Commander TCS Tarawa
Captain Ian "Hunter" St. John, Pilot off TCS Concordia
First Lieutenant Kevin "Lone Wolf" Tolwyn", Squadron Commander TCS Tarawa
Lieutenant "Round Top" Chamberlain, Squadron Commander TCS Tarawa
Lieutenant Janet "Sparks" McCullough, Chief Tech TCS Tarawa
Vanderman, Former Pilot TCS Tiger's Claw
"Griffin", Co-Pilot off TCS Concordia
"Jonesy", Turret Gunner off TCS Concordia
Johnston, Rear Admiral Tolwyn's Steward
Jenny McCrae, Marine
Elaine, Damage Control Officer Commodore Polowski's Flagship
Gloria, Helm Officer TCS Tarawa
Masumi, Engineer TCS Tarawa
Jenkins, DSSSSS Technician

Terran Confederation Civilians-
Doctor Torg, Professor
Lisa, Excited Girl
Elaine, Magazine Reporter
Harrison, Member Human-Kilrathi Friendship Committee

Kilrathi Politicians-
The Emperor, Emperor of Kilrah
Prince Thrakhath nar Kiranka, Crown Prince of Kilrah
Baron Talmak nar Sutaghi, Baron Sutaghi Clan
Baron Jukaga nar Ki'ra, Baron Ki'ra Clan
Baron Buktag'ka nar Sihkag, Baron Sihkag Clan
Baron Yikta nar Caxki, Baron Caxki Clan
Baron Qar'ka nar Qarg, Baron Qarg Clan
Baron Vak nar Ragitagha, Baron Ragitagha Clan
Baron Ka'ta nar Kur'u'tak, Baron Kur'u'tak Clan
Vak'ga, Ambassador to Earth

Kilrathi Military-
Tukarg, Former Commander Officer KIS Gi'karga
Kirah nar Ragitagha, Former P.O.W.

Firekkan Politicians-
Rikik, Flock Leader of Firekka
K'Kai, Firekkan Representative to the Free Landreich Republic

Free Republic of the Landreich Politicians-
Presiden Hans Maximilian Kruger, President of the Landreich

6) Conclusion. A summary of events from the end of the battle to the Treaty of Torgo.

"Wing Commander 3" :)?

Incidentally, that should be Harold Rodham, who gave way to Quinson, and who may have given way eventually to the coalition mentioned in False Colors by Tolwyn when described by the conspiracy - it's never made clear whether that President who gave up power was Rodham or someone else.

Bandit LOAF said:
Eighth Munro/Armistice - June 29th, 2668
Formal Armistice - July 9th, 2668
Discovery of Kilrathi Fleet - September 29th, 2668
Bomb Plot - October 3rd, 2668
Declaration of War - October 22nd, 2668
Battle of the Hell Hole - October 23rd, 2668
Battle of Earth - November 2nd, 2668
I liked your old guesses better - now Standoff is more than a month off. :(

The new ones are from the 'date the novels' thread, complete with citations. (If you're interested in where they came from, that is.)

To be honest, I didn't know anyone was interested. No one responded to the thread previously, so I just kind of decommissioned the whole idea.

I will build a document off of the information you (Loaf) provided. Thanks!

Anyone else have any other bits of info?

I think the essential problem is that pretty much everything we know about the Battle of Earth comes from a single source... which is, appropriately enough, a book about the Battle of Earth. Writing a FAQ about it becomes somewhat repetitious -- like a research paper that cites the same source for every single fact.

That said, we can probably collect all the tiny little bits and pieces of information *beyond* Fleet Action... but they're not going to impress anyone looking for overarching details. It'll be things like the story of a Darket ramming Orion Station and the references to Vorghath serving with the Kilrathi fleet during the battle.

Bandit LOAF said:
The new ones are from the 'date the novels' thread, complete with citations. (If you're interested in where they came from, that is.)
Hehe, I didn't even look at that thread in fear that it'd screw up our dates... now we've used christmas and new year's in the plot, so it's too late to fix it. :p

Eh, I could see reasons to go with either system (the one you're using particularly in light of WC3's 'just over six months' bit).

I think the essential problem is that pretty much everything we know about the Battle of Earth comes from a single source... which is, appropriately enough, a book about the Battle of Earth. Writing a FAQ about it becomes somewhat repetitious -- like a research paper that cites the same source for every single fact.

I agree. Although, the novels are rather hard to come by these days for some people. My own copy of FA should have arrived from Colorado Springs, CO some time ago, but I found out just today that it still has yet to be mailed. Thus, there it collects dust some thousand miles from my current location.

Many have never read any of the novels and just have the games and backround fiction (which continually makes novel references). I myself have only within the last year been able to acquire some of the books. So I would say that for those fans that have not read the novels, some form of FAQ might help them get a greater understanding of the events between WC2 and WC3.

Dragon1 said:
I agree. Although, the novels are rather hard to come by these days for some people. My own copy of FA should have arrived from Colorado Springs, CO some time ago, but I found out just today that it still has yet to be mailed. Thus, there it collects dust some thousand miles from my current location.

That's not an example of novels being hard to come by though. The novels are super easy to collect. Books stay in circulation much better than computer games. I find new Wing Commander novels almost every time I visit Half Price Books, and almost all of them are available at half.com for a few dollars.

Back