Babylon 5: Into the Fire now sleeps in light

Well, it appears the fight is over and we've been beaten by the very company that caused all this pain ... Sierra. The space combat sim that was going to rock the scene has finally died.

When everything else was in place - the publisher, the financing and the lisence ... THEY SAT ON THE GAME MATERIAL AND REFUSED TO SELL IT. I consider this as spitting into our faces, and like all the others who have been trying to save the game swear, that this will not ever be forgotten. Never. What Sierra did was a disgrace to the game industry, and they will not be allowed to forget it.

Each and every new game that gets published by Sierra, we'll be there to make people remember and rejoice in every game box, that's left unsold. This is not a threat, this is a war declaration. We've had enough!

Here's Sector 14 Studios's CEO's Richard Brewer's message to FirstOnes.Com:

To the Into the Fire fans, and those who’ve offered support over the past year—
These last two weeks have been very difficult on us at S14, and we wanted to be sure there were no options left before making this announcement.

It is with deepest regret that I must inform you that our efforts to finish “Babylon 5: Into the Fire” have failed.

It is not due to problems with Sector 14 Studios, nor is it due to lack of interest by publishers, or lack of funding, but rather the current holder of the materials recently informed us they were no longer interested in selling the game assets. Appeals to the highest levels of management at Havas in France were not able to change their stance.

This outcome is unfortunate, for several reasons. Those of you close to the project know just how revolutionary the game design and gameplay would have been, and given the rather stagnant performance of space combat games, many to us knew in our heart of hearts that ItF had real potential to turn the market around, and get some of the life that the first person shooter market has been enjoying for the past 3 years. Technology-wise, we had many features in the design that are now becoming common-use tools such as multithreading and hierarchical AI—it was exciting to push the boundaries of technology in that way. For the fan of Babylon 5, it is another blow—the last remaining unseen footage of the cast and crew will remain unseen. This is a tragedy in itself.

What does this mean for Babylon 5 gaming? What’s next for Sector 14 Studios? Time will tell. More than a few of us have put our blood, sweat, and tears into this project. Personally, I’ve been working on this as a second job, logging in 10 plus hours a day for the past year on top of the demands of a full-time engineering career. Sector 14 Studios is a labor of love for us, and we won’t let it die. It is as much a way of thinking as it is a development studio—we’ve shared a special bond with our fans, and we hope that bond continues in the future when we are ready to start anew. We have ideas where we might go, but for now we need a rest—it’s a time of closure, as many of us have been putting 110% into ItF for over 3 years. In the meantime, we’d be happy to hear from any of you. Please feel free to send us your thoughts at sector14studios@yahoo.com or contact me directly.

For those of you getting started in the games industry, and are interested in what it takes to propose a game to a publisher, we’d be happy to offer what knowledge we’ve taken out of this entire process. Truth be known, the work there is almost as much as what you spend immersed in working on issues with multithreading your sim, renderer, and AI successfully, or how to squeeze a few more FPS out of your engine to let your artists’ work shine. The more you know about your market and how your game fits into it, the better. I may post a “game neutral” version of our business and completion plans, if there is enough interest to do so.

We have built some good friendships, business and otherwise, over the past year. At this time we would like to extend our deepest gratitude to those who helped us make it as far as we did:

Deepest thanks to Dan Foy, Randy Littlejohn, Marc Hudgins, Christy Marx, David Gehringer, John Trauger, Jack Nichols, Keith Landes, Victor Crews, John Walker, Jeff Reitman, Benito Gonzalez, Robin Phanco, Dave Artis, and Byrt Martinez – you are the model of a great development team, and all it can accomplish. Even though we did not get the results we hoped fore, take pride in the work we did, and rest easy knowing now that we did indeed do all we could to save the game.

A special thanks to Scott Johnson at Warner Interactive—you couldn’t ask for a better person to work with on a licensed property. We wish you success in your future endeavors, and hope that we might partake in some of them when the time is right.

Thanks also go out to American McGee, Barett Alexander, RJ Berg, Rick Johnson, Scott Draeker for helping us build our network of publishing contacts

Thanks to Mike Abrash for remembering me from the briefest of meetings, and helping us get in touch with the X-box team at Microsoft.

Additional thanks to Will Binder, John Carmack, John “Milo” Dimattio, Steve “Blue” Healsip, Sean “Redwood” Martin, Jack “Morbid” Matthews, and Alisa Schreibman.

Deepest gratitude to Janne S. Pionte, the creator of S14’s logo, and arguably one of Finland’s best artists.

Thanks also to the many developers in the game community who offered their words of support through this year of fire. Those words helped keep us going.

A special thanks to Mike Klumper at HD interactive – A true gentleman by the definition of the word. It’s one of my greatest hopes that someday we’ll be able to work on a project together.

And, of course, our thanks go out to J. Michael Straczynski. Thank you, Joe, for giving inspiration to us all and letting us play in the backyard of your imagination.

But most of all, we’d like to thank Lorien Newman, Kevin “Drazi Guy” Mac Neil, Michael “Grinner” Lu, “Sanfam,” Vesa “Freeze” Juusola, and all the fans at http://www.firstones.com and http://www.b5itf-finland.org/ who have supported our efforts in the most passionate way. Without you, we wouldn’t have made it this far. You are the Army of Light. And you made the world stand up and take notice.

To the fans- I’d like to encourage you to support those who supported us: HD Interactive, EA, Gathering of Developers, Microsoft X-box, Raven Software, and id Software. All of these people are working hard to bring innovation to gaming, just as we have.

The game may die, but Babylon 5 ... Babylon 5 endures.

Best regards,

Richard G. Brewer
CEO, Sector 14 Studios
richardgbrewer@hotmail.com

B5 ITF, was supposed to be a new cool space sim, with some revolutionary options and features, and practicly everyone who's a space sim fan was waiting impatiently for that game. We had several people supporting that game come here and ask for support in trying to get Sierra to sell the rights for making the game, so Freeze is just informing the people here that unfortunetly this game won't ever see daylight.

This right here is what I see as one of the basic problems in the computer industery. The reluctance or outright refusal to do anything with properties or programs that they have but have no plan to ever use. For example, either Origin should re-release KS (only by online order only if need be, with manual on CD) or they should release at least the DOS games for free. I cannot understand the mentality of "We won't sell it and we won't give it away either." And the B5 game is a prime example of this. Sierra has no intention of ever making this game. This is not in doubt. BUT why won't they sell it so someone else can make it??? At least make money off of that stuff sitting there. Not letting anyone do anything at all with it will not make them any money. If they sold it at least they could make some or most of their money back on it. It makes no sense from a business sense to do this. You run a business to make money and if you spend money on something and decide it's not worth the effort and you have a willing buyer, you sell it, plain and simple. Just plain stupid.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Why should OSI release KS or the originals? If for sale, it wouldn't be worth it because not enough people would have bought it, as for download. How many company's release their old games for free? Not many, and OSI/EA aren't any different.

Second, Sierra might be discouraged because of the low space sim sales, and the fact that this game was to have so many new feauters it would take some time before it was finally released. Anyhow, Sierra can still make money of it if they ever decide to do a B5 game, which could be possible if the space sim market becomes thiner than it is already.

Hmm, EW, I think you're overlooking one small fact here. The thing is that if Sierra ever decided to continue B5:ItF or start a new B5 related game THEY'LL HAVE TO BUY THE LICENCE AGAIN because it went back to WB!!
The only thing they still have is the game material that was finished until they decided to cancel the game. They cannot just start the game again if they want.
So, this material is almost useless to them. I don't understand why Sierra doesn't want to sell the stuff.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

I'm sure Sierra purchased a license for X number of games or X numbers of years worth of Babylon 5 -- that's the standard thing with licenses.

Please note, however, that it is a very *bad* business practice to sell material to your competitors
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I know none of these companies do it on purpose, just to piss off the fans, but it sure as hell feels that way sometimes.
mad.gif

I'm sure Sierra purchased a license for X number of games or X numbers of years worth of Babylon 5 -- that's the standard thing with licenses.
And in X number of years they have not produced a single Babylon 5 game.
Please note, however, that it is a very *bad* business practice to sell material to your competitors
I would agree with you if sierra actually produced any flight sims...since they don't, it is an area they are not involved with at all.
Hmm, EW, I think you're overlooking one small fact here. The thing is that if Sierra ever decided to continue B5:ItF or start a new B5 related game THEY'LL HAVE TO BUY THE LICENCE AGAIN because it went back to WB!!
It is highly unlikely that they would make that, or any B5 game.
The chances of WB giving sierra the licence again (after the complete and total balls up they did with it the last time) are about as likley as Wing Commander Online being released tomorrow morning!!!
I don't understand why Sierra doesn't want to sell the stuff.
We besides the fact that they are complete and utter bastards, it would make them look even more stupid to give S14S the IP's allowing them to make a game that sierra thought was a waste...

Nighthawk said:
They cannot just start the game again if they want.

That's a mild understatement. From what I've heard of the ex-developers is that Sierra won't be able to make a Babylon 5 -based game ... ever. They've burned bridges with Warner Bros with their "little stunt".

There may be a shred of light, however: According to Sector 14 Studios CEO's interview in Gamespy and some of the talk between the ex-developers and us, they *might* build the game up from scratch after a period of some rest and cooling down. And should they do that, we'll be there to support them.

Babylon 5 always has a quote for every situation, and here's one for this:

"Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are... . One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. . . to strive, to seek, to find. . . and not to yield."

-- Sheridan on Babylon 5, "The Long Night"

The thing I don't understand is as follows:

As Sierra decided to cancel the game (and their licence expired) why don't they just sell the material they finished so far? It would be reasonable as it would at least limit their money losses.
The fact that they were willing to sell the stuff was made clear earlier when Codemasters tried to buy it but Sierra's price was too high for them to pay.
Now here comes a dedicated team of people who have everything to finish the game, even the required money. And Sierra being willing to sell their material earlier now suddenly says NO. WTF?
confused.gif

I believe this decision was made out of personal reasons as the S14 people were (or, in some cases, still are?) former employees of Sierra.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

You're darn right it's personal ... let's take a look at how this developed:

<OL TYPE=1>
<LI>The game got canned
<LI>Huge mass of negative PR on the public, thanks to our massive campaigns
<LI>Sierra told that they're willing to sell the IP (=Intellectual Property)
<LI>Several game companies are interested about the prject, including Codemasters
<LI>Codemasters tries to buy the IP but Sierra has now found out, how popular their game "that would not fit their success criteria" would be, so they lift the prices, until Codemasters has to fold
<LI>Sector 14 Studios, owned by the ex-developers is founded
<LI>After some months, S14S now has it all - funding, 3 (!) interested publishers and WB's lisence is as good as in pocket
<LI>Sierra decides to sell out all promotional game material they have (look at http://www.sierra.com/b5/)
<LI>Sierra suddenly does not want to sell it's IP, even though they were offered a substantial amount of money from it
</OL>

Yes, this is personal. Sierra does not want to allow S14S turn a dead, cancelled, non-quality product they've cancelled into success, proofing all the discussion we've managed to rise about Sierra/Havas and their policies.

[This message has been edited by Freeze, B5:ItF Finland (edited October 07, 2000).]

Back