ATTENTION: Episode 3 patch released!

Well, I'm afraid we have no plans to release any further patches - so until episode 4 (which is not coming any time soon :p), you'll just have to stick with no target info for the Arrow at 640x480.

Quarto said:
Well, let's put this into perspective, shall we? The WC3 Arrow has eight missiles, and four guns. It also has better YPR, and it has 16 missile decoys (though in Standoff, this would probably be reduced to 4 - we sorta assume our decoys are more like the WC2/Armada chaff pods than WC3 decoys). Its armour and shields are another matter - it's hard to say how much it would have after reduction from tungsten/plasteel/whatever to durasteel... but it would undoubtedly be a lot more than our Arrow. And 520kps is still not something to laugh at - it would still be the fastest ship in the game apart from the Wraith. All in all, it seems to me the WC3 Arrow would be superior to every other light fighter in the game, and would easily get scores as high as the Wraith (higher, given the Wraith's handicap).

In short - for combat, I can definitely see why Confed would prefer the WC3 variant. Like Chris says, though, Confed has different Arrows for different jobs. The WC3 Arrow doesn't actually replace the Armada Arrow - it just flies different missions.

Indeed. If we went strictly by the numbers, the WC3 Arrow would have shields, armor, and weapons almost as strong as the Rapier, and would be faster, to boot. The Armada Arrow being used here is just a light scout, not an interceptor, so it has unmatched speed that allows it to flee from enemies rather than engage them, since that is what it would do most of the time on a real patrol. The only thing that I would care to change about the Standoff version would be to give it a pair of heatseekers in addition to its dumbfires.

Sternenwind said:
Ah I forgot. at the confederation Run... Broadswords... You really got a Problem in an Arrow against them if you already used your darts^^*

The Arrow's laser guns have an effective range of something like 4000 m, while the Broadsword's mass drivers and neutron guns have an effective range of something like 2500 m. This makes it preferable to shoot at the Broadsword from outside of its gun range where it can't hit you.

Quarto said:
Hehe, yeah. The Arrow is the one and only ship that remains wholly unaffected by the lack of chaff pods

On afterburner, this version of the Arrow should be fast enough to actually outrun FF or IR missiles as long as the enemy launching them is not too close on your tail.

wow. I love the Arrow man, my favorite ship from WC3 and its back (in a variant though). any chance you can make it into the WC3 variant? I toasted a lot of kitties iin my little Arrow.

Hey, out of curiousity, did the patch change anything in the last mission of Ep. 3's losing branch? I just replayed the last mission, and the Firekka seems to be blowing up spontaneously for no reason I can figure out- I didn't see the Ralatha launch torps, and the Gothri are killed before they can do anything- what am I missing?

Spertallica said:
Hey, out of curiousity, did the patch change anything in the last mission of Ep. 3's losing branch? I just replayed the last mission, and the Firekka seems to be blowing up spontaneously for no reason I can figure out- I didn't see the Ralatha launch torps, and the Gothri are killed before they can do anything- what am I missing?
You probably missed the torps :). If there are no Confed torp-carrying ships left and the Ralatha is still alive, the Firekka will try to get past her to reach the point. The results of such a duel are usually not too positive for the Firekka :p.

Iceman16 said:
wow. I love the Arrow man, my favorite ship from WC3 and its back (in a variant though). any chance you can make it into the WC3 variant? I toasted a lot of kitties iin my little Arrow.
No chance whatsoever. We didn't roll dice to determine which Arrow to use, we specifically chose the Armada Arrow. Additionally, we're not free to change the stats of ships any time we feel like it - to do so, we'd have to delete all the scores people have earned with the Arrow so far, and it's doubtful that would be too highly appreciated.

Which, of course, is another very good reason to not introduce the WC3 Arrow - one Wraith is enough.

hmm I wonder when the confederation changed the Arrow into the WC3 model... if you think about it, it where a hell of a ship if the had built in wc3 stile to beginn eith

but perhaps the techologie wasn't ready for it ^^

As far as we know, the two models could have been developed simultaneously. It's not a matter of Confed switching from the Armada Arrow to the WC3 Arrow - the two ships serve different purposes, and could be used at the same time. Additionally, both versions are probably upgrades of earlier versions, because we know that Arrows existed as early as 2654.

Quarto said:
As far as we know, the two models could have been developed simultaneously. It's not a matter of Confed switching from the Armada Arrow to the WC3 Arrow - the two ships serve different purposes, and could be used at the same time. Additionally, both versions are probably upgrades of earlier versions, because we know that Arrows existed as early as 2654.

Right, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread, we know at least a couple major variants of the Arrow coexisted in 2669. The one we flew during WC3 was a heavier version that sacrificed range and speed for armament.

yeah but with an Arrow in wc3 stile or a Wraith I could stop 12 Kilrathi fighter by myself or kill a lot of Kilrathi bombers before they could get their torpedos on the way.

I mean, if the confereration would have such a great ship like the arrow... the Kilrathi must have much much mcuh more ships than the confederation to do anything.
Okay i know that An arrow and a Wraith can't kill a cap ship, but you know...

The battle of earth I mean if the WC3 stile Arrow allready exist...where is the Mistake?
I mean the Wraith is really expensive but the Arrow can't be this expensive ^^

Or where all the Arrows just mothballed and couln't reactivated just in time?

just things i have to think about^^

yeah I know but think about it^^ I think the Kilrathi fighter are much much lower tech than a arrow of the wc3 configuration. Even a very unskilled Pilot is really superior^^

but it is right. What shall you do if there are so many enemys that there is no room to evade an enemy attack^^

Sternenwind said:
yeah I know but think about it^^ I think the Kilrathi fighter are much much lower tech than a arrow of the wc3 configuration. Even a very unskilled Pilot is really superior^^

but it is right. What shall you do if there are so many enemys that there is no room to evade an enemy attack^^

I think your point of view here is also pretty skewed on behalf of the player character. Not every pilot with a heavily armed Arrow is going out and blasting a dozen Kilrathi fighters without taking a scratch. Very very few are.

I am not sure of it. The WC3 arrow is much faster than evry kilrathisip oof this time. And its firepower is enough to killl a Fighter very very quick.

But a big battle is an other thing than any other mission. If there are some hundred fighter at once.... Your pilot skills don't help you too much. It is impossibil to see all the enemys and evade all attacvks.

I am only wondering about the ships because I think a wc3 arrow is much superior to an Epee, Rapier, Stilleto, Ferret and even the Morningstar.
Okay the Morning star has more firepower and the Mace + Torpedos so it isn't really on the same line like the others. But there isn't really a use for a Ferret or a Stilletto if you get a wc3 stil Arrow, is there?
I mean. the arrow is faster, better armored, and has more Firepower than the others.

The Epee is a Special ship and i am not sure which has more firepower. 2 partikelguns or 2 laser +2 ions, but the Arrow has more speed and more Armor.

And even the rapier... it is hard to say wich is bestter but i don't think that the Rapir is much supirior to a wc3 stile Arrow.

Okay perhaps im really a littel bit confused. But i think that even a new baked cadet could attack a hole Kilrathi wing.

hmmm I do not know why, but I sounded a littel bit like Maniac I think....

I am not sure of it. The WC3 arrow is much faster than evry kilrathisip oof this time.

No, it isn't. At 520 kps the Arrow is the same speed as the Kilrathi Darket... and it's left behind by the Bloodfang (560 kps), Dralthi (745 kps), Jrathek (595 kps), Shok'lar (695 kps) and Kor-Lahr (695 kps).

Sternenwind said:
I am not sure of it. The WC3 arrow is much faster than evry kilrathisip oof this time. And its firepower is enough to killl a Fighter very very quick.

It mainly just has a fairly heavy missile loadout, which comes at the cost of the speed and endurance of the other Arrows we know about. Its Darket counterpart is equally fast and always shows up in greater numbers.

Sternenwind said:
really on the same line like the others. But there isn't really a use for a Ferret or a Stilletto if you get a wc3 stil Arrow, is there?
I mean. the arrow is faster, better armored, and has more Firepower than the others.

You can always set up this comparison though. Why bother with Arrows when you can just build Excaliburs? Both the Ferret and Stiletto, and the extended range versions of the Arrow, are designed for a different role than the Arrow we fly in WC3.

Sternenwind said:
Okay perhaps im really a littel bit confused. But i think that even a new baked cadet could attack a hole Kilrathi wing.

That's just the player POV talking.

"But the cats were driving in too fast. An Arrow flashed past Blair,
blasters firing wildly, but three of the Strakha hit the interceptor with
massed fire. Blair tried to catch up to support the Arrow, but he was too
late. The Terran fighter's shields went down, and in seconds the Kilrathi
blasters chewed through armor and hull, boring into the reactor. The Arrow
went up in a blaze of raw energy."

Sternenwind said:
As LOAF points out, there's a lot of other ships out there that are faster than the WC3 Arrow - the problem with your point of view is that you've completely forgotten about all the Kilrathi ships :). You're only comparing the WC3 Arrow with other Confed fighters, and forgetting completely about the ships it's supposed to go up against.

I am only wondering about the ships because I think a wc3 arrow is much superior to an Epee, Rapier, Stilleto, Ferret and even the Morningstar.
Okay the Morning star has more firepower and the Mace + Torpedos so it isn't really on the same line like the others. But there isn't really a use for a Ferret or a Stilletto if you get a wc3 stil Arrow, is there?
How exactly do you know it's better armoured? The WC3 Arrow is an upgrade of an earlier version of the Arrow. Obviously, the previous version did not use tungsten/plasteel/whatever alloy armour, but instead used the same stuff that WC1/2 ships used. For all we know, the previous version of the WC3 Arrow could have had less armour than the Epee. Or it might have had less guns. Or both - the fact is, we know nothing about the previous versions of the Arrow, except for the fact that they existed. Finally, note that even the WC3 Arrow is much less manoeuvrable than other light fighters (and even the Rapier medium)... though of course, for all we know, the previous version could have been more manoeuvrable.

In short, we know nothing - there's no way we can compare these ships, and there's no reason to assume that one is better than the other. In all likelihood, they're quite simply different.

Back