Artificial gravity

Blaster

Rear Admiral
All of the big ships in Wing Commander seem to have some type of artificial gravity that keeps people from floating around most of the time. In one of the episodes of Academy there seemed to be a gym area on the Claw where it could be turned on and off. Do we know any details about it? Do fighters also have artificial gravity or is it considered unnecessary for them since people are strapped in anyway? Are the acceleration absorbers involved in some way?

That gym area is actually the Zero G Racquetball Court - and it actually first showed up in the Wing Commander I & II Ultiamte Strategy Guide (the Tiger's Claw also has a swimming pool!)

There does seem to be a good amount of control over gravity (and jump drives involve producing anti-graviton particles, which maybe be related.) We see 'Zero G Dancers' performing at the TCSO show and flight decks are labeled things like 'WARNING: LOW GRAVITY ENVIRONMENT"

I *believe* we've seen references to fighters being zero-g... but can't think of what they are offhand.

Acceleration absorbers are what prevents you from turning into paste when your fighter travels at thousands of miles per hour. :)

(Space Point)

Acceleration absorbers are what prevents you from turning into paste when your fighter travels at thousands of miles per hour. :)

(Space Point)

I think using a gravity field to pull you in the opposite direction of inertia sounds like a good way to counter act that. As long as the gravity is pulling on every molecule in your body equally there shouldn’t be any turning into paste problem.

Gravity is the main fan explanation for the fighter-dip in the movie. I'm actually surprised how many people complain about pushing the fighter off the deck though as the dozer only pushes to the side. while it's possible theres a big hole opening to space below on the sides (the flight deck has those trusses allowing the ship to collapse over top of it after all) I don't think there's any shots in the movie that ever actually establish that. To me the wierd edit at the end of it falling into some kind of hole on the side is more suspect than it falling off the deck. We never see it float off into space either.

On another note, Gravity control is apparently intertwined with jump drives so it shouldn't be that difficult to create a low level gravity field on a ship and it's deck.

However, don't forget the signs on the WC2 and 3 (and 4 too I think) about the flight deck being a low gravity area.

That gym area is actually the Zero G Racquetball Court - and it actually first showed up in the Wing Commander I & II Ultiamte Strategy Guide (the Tiger's Claw also has a swimming pool!)

That pool wouldn't happen to be right over the bunks, would it?:D
Star Wars actually was pretty good about the artificial gravity there. I remember something about why the guy who crashed into the first Death Star actually thought he was level because his inertial compensator was set to high or something like that. Read the X-Wing series, its in there.

Yikes. Should almost count as a kill in WC1 then. Many times I came home with those things blown off my ship...

So much for using those afterburners.

That pool wouldn't happen to be right over the bunks, would it?:D
Star Wars actually was pretty good about the artificial gravity there. I remember something about why the guy who crashed into the first Death Star actually thought he was level because his inertial compensator was set to high or something like that. Read the X-Wing series, its in there.

good 'ol Porkins. To out of shape to be flying a fighter! That's what happens when you can't feel what the ship is doing...:D

Back