Arrows in WC3N

ck9791

Rear Admiral
One of the posts in the thread about the "Killer Bees" squadron made me think of this.

In the Wing Commander 3 novel, the Victory is described as having four squadrons, a Longbow squadron, a Thunderbolt squadron, and two squadrons of Arrows, there are no Hellcats. When Blair is reviewing the squadrons he he refers to one flying Arrow class point defense fighters, and the other flying Arrow class interceptors. Is Blair referring to their being two different types of Arrows on the Victory, one that is more of a short range defense fighter and the other is a longer range craft? Or is he simply saying that there are two squadrons of Arrows and those squadrons have different purposes?

I know there are different variants of the Arrow, theres one in Armada, and three in Arena, but I didn't know that if Blair's comment supported this, or if he was just describing the tasks of one of the squadrons versus another which both happen to fly Arrows.

I tried searching past threads for this but past discussion seemed to focus this being a typo and whether one of the Arrow squadrons was supposed to be a Hellcat squadron. http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19931

I believe you are correct, it's referring to two different types of Arrows - a scout version (like the Arrow Scout or the Armada version) and a point defense version (like the one we fly in WC3.)

(Space Point)

Having seen the two very different Arrows so close together in Armada and WC3, that's always how I interpreted it.

Yeah, it seems pretty reasonable that Arena divided Arrows into those two categories too - plus the stealth type introduced in Wing Commander IV.

Back