Anyone Remember?

The new plasma weapon is small, though -- it can be mounted on cruisers and such... it doesn't need a battleship to support it.

Originally posted by Valor NR
So Confed has decided to go back with the Big Plasma weapons on the Plunkett Class did you see this as a step down? Just want your opinion on the new Cruiser Class
I'm quite sure the Plunkett wasn't introduced that recently, relative to 2681.

To Wedge:We dont really know when they were commissioned loaf might know :)

To Loaf:Then why do they make those cannons so big on the Plunketts and Hades class?

To Junior:Remember Confed isnt made of Only Carriers. So they have to rely on Cruisers and Destroyers on assaults when no carriers are around.

To Delta:Like Dallas said "Cash is what its all about" so thats why you should keep only a few like ive been saying

To Phoenix:You like Battleships but your worried they wouldn't have much use in todays Confed

To Junior:Remember Confed isnt made of Only Carriers. So they have to rely on Cruisers and Destroyers on assaults when no carriers are around.

An assault that requires more firepower than what a couple of cruisers can provide is a major assault, and chances are that you're not going to be launching more of those than you have carriers. If you need to, then things have gone more seriously wrong than anything a few battleships can correct.
Your problem is that your forgetting one very simple fact.
Carriers are cheaper than battleships.
Period.
In its most basic form, a carrier is a hollowed out hull with an entrance/exit, a communications center, and flashing lights at the entrance/exit.
A battleship is a great big thing with armored plates and bristling with weapons o' doom.
You can upgrade the carrier somewhat, in case it finds itself in the middle of a combat zone, but its really not worth it to do more than slap some light armor on it and a few anti-fighter turrets. If everything goes well, the carrier will never find itself in combat anyway, so that doesn't matter. Instead, the expenditures are going to be in the attrition craft (aka fighters) that it carries on board.
As another way of looking at it, consider the following:
Initial Costs-
Carrier - One hollow, lightly armed and armored ship w/ complement of fighters.
Battleship - One large ship loaded with weapons and armor.

Repairs/ Restock after average combat -
Carrier - Fighters repaired on-board carrier (no downtime for carrier), replacement fighters and munitions sent to carrier via logisitics chain. NO drydock time.
Battleship - Munitions sent to battleship via logisitics chain, repairs generally necessitate time in drydock due to fact that battleship MUST be in direct combat with enemy to inflict damage.

Offensive Range -
Carrier - Millions of kilometers/ through jumppoints due to range of fighters.
Battleship - Several thousand kilometers maximum.

Did I miss anything?

Not to try to drift off topic, but since Confed tax and costs of battle ships and all, I thought that this might be of interest, even tho it really has nothing to do with WC, still, it is....well, interesting!

The 20 Dollar Reminder

Sorry, dont mean to purposely drift off topic. Just thougth some would find this to be amazing with all the recent news about pre warning of September 11th. If this has been previously posted, I apologize.

To Rf Burns: Thats cool but it has nothing to do with Wing Commander buts its still cool now i want a 20$ bill to try it out.

TO Valor: your right its all about money and confed has none because of budget cuts and the magacarrier project.

We don't really know when they were commissioned. LOAF might know.
LOAF does know, I just can't find where he posted it (which was quite a long time ago).

Then why do they make those cannons so big on the Plunketts and Hades class?
Plunketts are artillery cruisers, they're supposed to have big guns to go against capships. Similar purpose for the Hades, although clearly less prominent.

To Phoenix: You like Battleships but you're worried they wouldn't have much use in today's Confed
They don't have much use in 2681 Confed, and I don't think Phoenix is worried about it.

Originally posted by Delta_Strife
To Rf Burns: Thats cool but it has nothing to do with Wing Commander buts its still cool now i want a 20$ bill to try it out.

TO Valor: your right its all about money and confed has none because of budget cuts and the magacarrier project.

Ya, sorry, just thought it would be interesting for some here, remembering and all, thread title "anyone remember", thought it would be something a little different for a few minutes.

My apologies.

Back