Anyone know why there were never wing commander academy toys?

victoryleo19

Spaceman
I personally love the episodes that were made, but I can't seem to find any info online as to why no one attempted to make an action figure line. Anyone have any info? thanks!

There were only 13 episodes made, which is the standard test order for a new series on most American networks. If the show does well in that initial run then the network orders more episodes to fill out a first season.

Academy didn't make it that far and so that wasn't much point in merchandising the show, to the network executives anyway. Even if at had pulled off a full first season I don't think they start looking into merchandising until they get into the middle of the second or into a third or fourth season, unless the ratings are just massive.

I believe Playmates acquired the Wing Commander Academy license, but the line was only barely on the drawing board when the show wasn't picked up for a second season.

You can sort of tell that the show was designed to support a toy line similar to the one the same group did for "Exo Squad", with core small and large fighters for each side (Scimitar/Broadsword for Confed, Dralthi/Grikath for the Kilrathi).

Only slightly related note: to this day I have a reoccurring nightmare that Wing Commander Academy *was* picked up for a second season and that I've just been forgetting to tape it.

i remember as a kid i would literally search every toy isle for any sign of wing commander toys. I just never understood the absolute lack of interest. I'm really surprised too. A lot of shows like King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, and Double Dragon had their own toy lines, and WCA got nothing :( I wonder if playmates ever designed any prototypes, well if they had id bet they were in scale with exo squad like you guys said. Thanks for the info!

I don't think they ever got to the prototype stage--just an option of the license and maybe some sketches.

Wing Commander Academy was great, but wouldn't part of it be because that the show didn't really last that long?

Partly. There were plans to do more shows. It wasn't canceled because of ratings but because USA network just stopped doing animation all together.

Yes, there was a plan for a second season (and a fair bit of setup was done in season one, like Gharal being set up to become Hobbes), but USA dropped original children's programming entirely after 96-97.

Mark Day had said at the time that WCA actually did fairly well on terms if overall numbers, but skewed far older than the 7-10 demographic syndicators and toy companies wanted at the time.

Back