Anyone have an SWC Rapier?

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
Yeah. I'd like a model of the SWC rapier within the range of 1000-5000 polygons. I've tried modding FS2/WCSaga with the ~58000 poly rapier model LOAF sent me, but my PCS2 is taking way too long to load and save it. (luckily it can quickly save to a PMF, but FS2 does not load that format.)

So if there's anyone here who has such a model or is willing to create it, please post here.

I think it was modeled for UE so you can extract it from there. you can probably use the mesh, just supply your own textures like for Standoff ships.

Just reduce the detail on LOAF's model or retexture and add detail to the UE model. There isn't really a Wal-Mart of models out there...

New texture!

I just got xNormal. It's a great utility for viewing models, especially ones that use a lot of weird texture maps. (specular, bump, normal, etc.) It can even generate some of these texture maps for you by taking a high poly model (Origin SWC Rapier) and baking it's textures onto another model's texture coordinates (Eder's SWC Rapier.)

And here is the result:
SWCRapier.png

Note that I used the same method to create the specular maps by taking the specular colours of the origin materials and replacing the textures with the specular colours.

It was also hard modifying both rapiers so that xNormal would render the maps properly!

The general shape and cockpit look similar in configuration to the WC2 rapier, but that's about it.

Add a couple winglets, and it'd close to the Arena Rapier.

The textures need a little more grit and value variance. It's causing a lot of the flatness (other than the lack of bump mapping).

The general shape and cockpit look similar in configuration to the WC2 rapier, but that's about it.

Add a couple winglets, and it'd close to the Arena Rapier.

That was the point. Super Wing Commander used a different model than WC1/2 did, and both this design and the Arena Rapier are based off the SWC one, not the WC2 one.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7775

Last edited by a moderator:
That one kind of looks like it was made of plastic... or Legos. ~~~ Just Kidding.

Attachments

• swcrapier-arena2.png
    swcrapier-arena2.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 133
Here's what a Rapier (I) made of Lego Brand Activity Bricks looks like:

lego_rapier_2.jpg

lego_rapier_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back