Anyone got screencaps of Tanks from WCIII and IV

i don't have any pictures of them, but if memory serves me correctly, they had laser cannons. that's all i could tell from taking fire from 'em.

The movie in wc4 when you take the Circe over Speradon option shows tanks fighting it out on one of the planets, that's probably the best place to get a good up close high res shot of them

I don't recall any tanks in WC III/IV, so they must've been taken out of the playstation version, right?

All of the ground missions were taken out of the PSX versions. In the case of WC3 they were replaced by videos, in WC4 they were either replaced by 'equivalent' space missions (rescue the scientist from a spacelab instead of from a ground complex) or taken out entirely (the Circe series, which features most of WCIVs ground missions, isn't in the PSX version).

Dundradal said:
The movie in wc4 when you take the Circe over Speradon option shows tanks fighting it out on one of the planets, that's probably the best place to get a good up close high res shot of them

*Sadly dosen't have WCIII or IV :( *

These are the droi...er...hovertanks you're looking for :D

Bitboy-wc4.circe.tank.03.jpg

More pictures here:
Hovertank Image 1
Hovertank Image 2
Hovertank Image 3
Hovertank Image 4
Hovertank Image 5
Hovertank Image 6

These captures are from the Wing Commander 4 DVD Version, Circe path (native resolution is 704x480).

Since this is my first post here, I would just like to convey my greetings to the whole community and extend my praise and admiration to everyone involved in running the site, designing mods, writing fiction, asking questions, dispensing knowledge & trivia and otherwise just keeping the Wing Commander universe alive and kicking. I first came upon the CIC back when it was called WCHS/Home Sector, IRC and it has been a part of my daily internet rounds since 1999.

I was reeled in to the Wing Commander universe in December 1994, when I was captivated by the looping trailer of Wing Commander 3 in a computer store. I must of watched it atleast a dozen times before being dragged away by the folks. A few weeks later, after some pleading with the folks and a few serious pc upgrades and I was aboard the Victory. Ahh, good times. ;)

Anyway, keep up the sterling work, lads!

Cheers,

BrynS

Hey, BrynS, welcome to the WCCZ and congrats on the great first post. Not only you are actually intelligent in your words, but you it was actually useful!!! :)

If only every new person would behave like this.

And Amen on WC3. It is really a great experience the first time. And the 1028784th time too.

Evil Imperial said:
Getting Red X's for the moment

They are working now.

I forgot how weird the hovertanks looked. Looks like they only have 2 main heavy laser (?) cannons and there is no secondary armarment that we can see (although I would imagine some kind of internal missile racks or something)

Thanks for those welcoming words, Edfilho.

Apologies to all those affected regarding the hosting issues of the images I posted above (and below) -- I'm having trouble accessing my allotted ISP webspace at the moment, so I threw them up on uploadit.org instead. All the images were accessible from various PC's on my home LAN, so I'm assuming it is/was a problem with the host's server(s).

I had a quick search through my various Wing Commander files and videos and found a video encoding (By Tolwyn I believe, although IRC Loaf encoded/posted similar clips at an earlier date on the CIC) of the bombing run on the Freya Shield Generator from the PSX version of Wing Commander 3. Here are some captures of the Kilrathi turret/gun emplacement shown during the clip, firing green laser/energy bursts at Blair and his wingman in their Excaliburs on final approach to destroy the generator.

Bitboy-wc3.freya.kilrathi.gun.01.jpg

Kilrathi Turret Image 2
Kilrathi Turret Image 3
Kilrathi Turret Image 4
Kilrathi Turret Image 5
Kilrathi Turret Image 6

As has been said, there are Kilrathi hovertanks/ground vehicles shown in-game during the PC version of Wing Commander 3 during the Alcor, Freya & Kilrah mission paths IRC, however there are none shown in any cutscenes that can be captured, apart from the PSX Freya clip above, to the best of my knowledge. I would capture some images from the WC3 missions in question, but I seem to have lost all of my WC3 savegames:rolleyes:. Something I must remedy when I have the time to play through it again.

Originally Posted by Dundradal
I forgot how weird the hovertanks looked. Looks like they only have 2 main heavy laser (?) cannons and there is no secondary armarment that we can see (although I would imagine some kind of internal missile racks or something)
Yeah, I would think it probable that they would or could technically have additional armaments -- perhaps Loaf has some specifics? Since they only appear briefly in one short cutscene and a few ground missions in WC4, I'm assuming that the lack of definition in terms of capabilities is simply due to the space-oriented focus of the game.

In the WC4 cutscene the hovertanks appear, it seems as though the CGI guys just a placed a standard or slightly modified, dual-mounted, cap-ship laser turrent 3D model on a hovering platform, probably just for expediency/development budget issues, although this may very well have been Confed's in-universe/canon explaination as well, i.e. inexpensive, simple, modular design, ala the Sherman Tank?

BrynS

BrynS said:
Here are some captures of the Kilrathi turret/gun emplacement shown during the clip, firing green laser/energy bursts at Blair and his wingman in their Excaliburs on final approach to destroy the generator.

I think green would be mesons maybe?

As has been said, there are Kilrathi hovertanks/ground vehicles shown in-game during the PC version of Wing Commander 3 during the Alcor, Freya & Kilrah mission paths IRC, however there are none shown in any cutscenes that can be captured, apart from the PSX Freya clip above, to the best of my knowledge.

IIRC they were similar to the tanks to come in wc4 (boxes with turret on top), although they were in the wc3 kilrathi tan color with the kilrathi emblem on the side. I forget if they fired red or green blasts though...

Yeah, I would think it probable that they would or could technically have additional armaments -- perhaps Loaf has some specifics? Since they only appear briefly in one short cutscene and a few ground missions in WC4, I'm assuming that the lack of definition in terms of capabilities is simply due to the space-oriented focus of the game.

We only have real detailed specifics for the confed equipment mentioned in ER and what we see in WCA. ER talks about walkers, tanks and other heavy equipment.

In the WC4 cutscene the hovertanks appear, it seems as though the CGI guys just a placed a standard or slightly modified, dual-mounted, cap-ship laser turrent 3D model on a hovering platform, probably just for expediency/development budget issues, although this may very well have been Confed's in-universe/canon explaination as well, i.e. inexpensive, simple, modular design, ala the Sherman Tank?

The tanks are only in the game for passing moments so I can see that as a definate possibility. Although, the comparison to the sherman of ww2 is not far off. Confed was mass producing Concordia class carriers it's hard to imagine the same thing not happening with AFVs.

Dundradal said:
I think green would be mesons maybe?
Yeah, or the Kilrathi equivalent -- I'm afraid I don't have access to most of my WC game manuals at the moment, although according to the Ships Database at the CIC, mesons conform to the same specificiations for both Confed at the Kilrathi. I would imagine that a ground-based variant would have different specs to compensate for atmosphere, etc, but given the game's scope, the lack of variety within each weapon technology is easily forgiven.

Dundradal said:
IIRC they were similar to the tanks to come in wc4 (boxes with turret on top), although they were in the wc3 kilrathi tan color with the kilrathi emblem on the side. I forget if they fired red or green blasts though...
Yes. I seem to recall dodging a barrage of red (laser) blasts, although they may very well have been green blasts (meson?) -- it's been a while since I've played any of those missions.

Dundradal said:
We only have real detailed specifics for the confed equipment mentioned in ER and what we see in WCA. ER talks about walkers, tanks and other heavy equipment.
Thanks for the heads-up on finding more related information in End Run. I have most of the paperpacks, except for End Run, Freedom Flight, Pilgrim (Stars?) & WC4 IIRC. I have made a start on reading the End Run PDF and enjoyed what I've read so far, but find the experience of reading a novel on my PC screen a bit weird -- I'd much rather lounge in a comfy chair or read in bed, which is ironic given that I must read (like many others I'm sure) the equivalent of at least 100-200 pages of text per week onscreen when browsing various forums and websites.

Dundradal said:
The tanks are only in the game for passing moments so I can see that as a definate possibility. Although, the comparison to the sherman of ww2 is not far off. Confed was mass producing Concordia class carriers it's hard to imagine the same thing not happening with AFVs.
I agree. I would think that Confed could mass produce them very quickly as required.

BrynS

BrynS said:
Thanks for the heads-up on finding more related information in End Run. I have most of the paperpacks, except for End Run, Freedom Flight, Pilgrim (Stars?) & WC4 IIRC. I have made a start on reading the End Run PDF and enjoyed what I've read so far, but find the experience of reading a novel on my PC screen a bit weird -- I'd much rather lounge in a comfy chair or read in bed, which is ironic given that I must read (like many others I'm sure) the equivalent of at least 100-200 pages of text per week onscreen when browsing various forums and websites.

BrynS

ER has some really nice tidbits about what a commando division and their supporting troops use in a standard planetary assault and how they proceed with the attack once comensed.

Back