Anyone can play at Nightmare level in WC4?

Now My Wing Commander 3 just doesn¡¯t work well with Windows 98 SE (sound card and joystick doesn¡¯t work properly). I called some game stores about 1 year ago and they said Kilrathi Saga also had compatible problems with Windows 95. I doubt if there is still somewhere shipping Kilrathi Saga now.

And RIDDLER, I have no idea where is the guide. There are only Wing Commander III play guide and Victory Streak in the game box.

The WC 3 Guide is a separate WC product (it's a book).

The Kilrathi Saga was specifically made for Win95. It has some minor problems at times, but mostly it runs fine. But yes, getting it will be exceedingly hard for you. I hear that KSaga can go for more than $100 over at EBay.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

WOW. If it's in that hig a demand, maybe they will consider rereleasing it with ALL the original documentations and maybe the Warbirds Poster
smile.gif
yeah right

Yue Zhao, do you have the WB poster?

Last edited by a moderator:
for the final dead zone mission, i few a banshee loaded with dumbfires. just before arriving at the cloaked ship nav point, i put as much power to shield and engines as possible (no gun nor repair power). after burn in and charge the jamming ship and let loose the dumbfires. then after burn out dropping decoys like crazy. does this work every time? NO, but i did get away once (after i don't know how many trys).

Zhao,

Listen, playing Nightmare on any of the Wing Commander games is a true challange, even to some of the most experienced pilots. As for advice: fly, fast and hard. Keep flying, learn and play. Yes, enemies will afterburn more, use missles ALOT and evade yours. It's the hardest level of difficulty (which is why it's called 'Nightmare' level.) Now, this is a videogame, not a real war, but Nightmare level is almost like the real thing (well, it's my belief anyway.) In real life, your opponents will be like that. In this game, if you want to play on the hardest level, keep practicing and gradually advancing your skill level till your at the level you want. If you're wondering, yes I've played WC IV on Nightmare. You probably will not believe me if I said that I've completed all of the missions in the game once on Nightmare, and it was hard. On most I was just lucky, and on some I could do well. But, just understand that on Nightmare, IT WILL BE HARD. Don't try Nightmare until your like me (which could mean that you have no life) and play WC IV defualted on Hard level, when you're playing for fun. That's just me though.

Thanks for your time,

Deltakiller

Now, this is a videogame, not a real war, but Nightmare level is almost like the real thing (well, it's my belief anyway.) In real life, your opponents will be like that.
Of course it's not like real life. Even in WC4 on nightmare, the AI is much worse than a human. If it was for real, a dogfight with one fighter would be too much for an average gamer to handle.

A good way to win missions on Nightmare is to use the autoslide to simulate infinate AB's (only available on the Banshee, Bearcat and the Dragon). If you're in one of those fighters, just fly away from them, they'll start chasing you and they'll use all of their AB fuel. After two or three minutes they should be out of fuel, and you can go back and finish them with your guns. Sometimes you can use that to escape fighting all together. IIRC, the range of the sensors in WC4 is about 75,000 klicks, and in WC3 it's about 50,000 klicks, so you should be able to escape them in four to five minutes.

In wc3 and wc4 you have to hold caplock down I think, it's been a while for me. It's best to be up to full speed. Prophecy and SO are much easier to use IMO, but then I think the power adjust is easier too.

Yeah it works, if you use the right keys. just make sure you're on autoslide and not AB lock.
smile.gif

AI is a strange thing, in WC2 facing four or five Gothri is hard, yet in Proph Nightmare isn't perhaps as tough as it ought to be. Ever since I activated the 3d support the enemies seem to be nearly twice as tough, though the two aren't related it is curious, but then my Tracker MIRV actually works the way it is supposed to...

roknor, if you engage full AB's, and then turn on the autoslide and disengage AB's you'll still be traveling at the full afterburner speeed. Of course you can only fly straight, but it's still a big advantage.

Death's Head said:
In wc3 and wc4 you have to hold caplock down I think, it's been a while for me. It's best to be up to full speed. Prophecy and SO are much easier to use IMO, but then I think the power adjust is easier too.

Actualy it works the same way in Prophecy and SO as it does in WC3 and WC4. Either press and hold Caps Lock, or pres /.

AI is a strange thing, in WC2 facing four or five Gothri is hard, yet in Proph Nightmare isn't perhaps as tough as it ought to be. Ever since I activated the 3d support the enemies seem to be nearly twice as tough, though the two aren't related it is curious, but then my Tracker MIRV actually works the way it is supposed to...
Hm, that's strange. Never heard of this happening before. What 3D card do you have?

Oh yeah I forgot there are two was to do it in WCP.
redface.gif

When I last finished the game I put autoslide on the bombers, it helps strafing and I don't have to use as much AB fuel.

I am a little confused here. Yes, I tried many times in WC4 on autoslide, but it just doesn¡¯t work in the same way as WCP. In WCP, if I active autoslide and disengage afterburner, the direction and speed remain the same. But in WC4, if I active autoslide and disengage afterburner(the speed was already at 1200Kps in Dragon before disengage), the direction remains the, but the speed soon drops to normal level (for Dragon, it¡¯s 500 Kps). Is it really different from WCP or I just got a wrong configuration?

I played WC4 defaulted on Hard level and WCP defaulted on Nightmare. No big problems. But I just can¡¯t move to Nightmare in WC4.

And what is the Warbirds poster?

Actualy, even though your speed drops down to the top speed for your fighter on the measuring thingy, you’re still traveling at the top AB speed. Just stop your ship completely, engage AB’s and then autoslide, than disengage AB’s. The HUD will show that your speed is 0 but your ship will by flying.

I chart that has stats and pictures, views of almost every fighter in WC3. I have been looking for scans of the ship views, so far I still only have the hellcat and excalibur.

There was a deluxe edition of wc3 released for 100 dolars that had the novel fleet action, a tshirt, a version of WC3, and a color warbirds poster.

Yue Zhao,
What helped me win on nightmare in WC4:
1. In WC3 play the Flash simulator mission until you can beat him on nightmare easily on guns only.
2. In WC4 practice the Deadzone missions on HARD, concentrating on ability to never miss with a (dumbfire) missile yet never collide.
3. Now you are ready to try WC4 on nightmare. Good Missile skill is essential. Sometimes you need to load two to kill an ace. Always get close on the tail like you had to to hit with a dumbfire in the deadzone - so you NEVER MISS.
4. Get the guide. In WC4 there are several missions you would probably not even play without the guide - it really increases the replay value, especially on nighmare. A couple of these are incredibly tough. The toughest is the one I mentioned previously in this thread - the Dead Zone mission after the pilot is picked up for interogation if you purposely make it hard on yourself by not buying the drunk a drink (so he doesn't spill the beans) at the beginning of the game. I could only beat this one on HARD(!) - and finally gave up.
5. Good luck!

Back