Anyone can play at Nightmare level in WC4?

Yue Zhao

Spaceman
I bought WC3 and WC4 one and a half years and played for a few months. Then I moved to prophecy. I can finish all the missions in WC3 and WC4 on hard level, and very few in Nightmare level. The biggest problem is, in Nightmare level, enemy fighters use the afterburners too often and I can hardly catch them. They can also easily spoof my missiles. Do you have any suggestions? I greatly appreciate your help.

My suggestion: don`t play at nightmare level.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Aim better? What good does it do to aim at something out of range? Unless you have a super joystick, odds are you can't keep a bead on the ship at all times.

I prefer to fly by keyboard, it's much steadier. I can correct better when firing too it seems.
smile.gif

It`s not so much a problem that the enemy is out of range, the bigger problem is that even if you can hit the target, the damage is minimal and shields regenerate too quickly for damage to accumulate.

there were some mission in WC4 that i couldn't finish in nightmare mood: the tank battle and returning melek to his space station. i think there were a couple more. in melek's mission the arrows would attack melek's shuttle right off the bat before i could save him.

as far as advice goes. make sure each missile counts, and shoot sparingly. be carefull not to over steer flying the banshee, and use lots of leech cannon - slows down enemy fighters and makes sort work of capships.

yue zhao did you have any specific mission in mind?

Death's Head said:
Well I'm glad some people besides me other than rookies don't think Nightmare is easy.

Sure it is. At least in Prophecy and SO. Though WC3 and WC4 are too hard on Nightmare. It's not that they use AB's too much, it's that they accelerate at about the same rate, or faster than you. Meaning that even if you're in a ship that has the same speed, if you'll wait to long to engage AB's the enemy will get too far ahead and you won't be able to catch up.

Well if the majority of your shots connect with the target, then the regeneration of the shields and the speed at which they're moving away from you won't matter because while you are in range, you would have been able to to some significant damage.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

-------------------------------------------
yue zhao did you have any specific mission in mind?
-------------------------------------------

To be honest, I can only complete less than ten missions in Nightmare level in WC4 (including the last mission. I can beat Seether easily, but then I have to active cloaking system to go to Earth). Nightmare level in WC3 and WC4 is the hardest I have ever known, even shooting down 10+ enemy fighters with guns only in Strike Commander is easier¡­

Taking the first mission for example. Maniac will never face you (unless he is too far away), he is as fast as you, and he will never give you a chance to aim accurately at him. Then I have no way to beat him unless using cheating methods. So is there any step-by-step tactical guide that can tell me how to shoot him down?

By the way, are there chat rooms for Strike Commander (though it¡¯s too old) or F22 ADF or EF2000?

I didn't beat WC4 on the nightmare level!! it was way too freaking hard to be able to beat it! i tried again on the easiest level (i dont remember what its called, it was the first one in the list) it was a lot easier to beat this way! instead of dying all the time by the bad guys, i shot them all and won! seether isnt all that tough when you turn down the dificulty huh?

Ziggy

------------------
Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,
The Spiders From Mars
He played it left hand, but made it too far
Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band

Don’t worry Ziggy, you’ll get some more skill after playing more. IMO beating Seether even on Nightmare level is easy after you played through the game and killed him two or three times on lower levels.

I'll tell ya how I bet Maniac on nightmare: I do a full stop before I tell him the fight's on. He does the same. Then I get as close as I can to him an stop again. I tell him wr're on and blast him from point 0 (
tongue.gif
Maniac...)...

------------------
Evilution!

I rarely, if ever, beat Maniac at that point. Very, very sad, but true. Response time's damn slow with the PlayStation's controller.
mad.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Hero said:
I'll tell ya how I bet Maniac on nightmare: I do a full stop before I tell him the fight's on. He does the same. Then I get as close as I can to him an stop again. I tell him wr're on and blast him from point 0 (
tongue.gif
Maniac...)...

I do it almost the same way, though I get a little further away from him, go to full speed so I don't have to acelerate later, and when I'm a short distance from him I respond that I won't to fight, and start blasting imedietly. I can give him about 67% damage on the 4th (Hero?) dificulty level

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Try setting misto full volley, max range, and telling him fight's on when they're about halfway there. Can you use missiles against maniac? Never played WC4 but missiles worked pretty well against Flash in WC3, one at a time so he dumped his decoys then in a closerange volley when he was out. No need to use singles when he doesnt know they're coming though.
biggrin.gif

Yes, I know that is freakin LOW but its still fun...

------------------
Today might be the last day of the rest of your life. Live it well.

Chernikov said:
Try setting misto full volley, max range, and telling him fight's on when they're about halfway there. Can you use missiles against maniac?

Nope, you can't. And you can't even put more power into the guns. Also, unlike the dogfight with Flash that mission is with a virtual dogfight mode in real space.

If you are really into it, you might consider getting the guides. After playing WC3 a couple times through, I got the guide. I added my own notes to each mission and got so I could play through each one on nightmare with guns only. The tip to "aim better" was actually a good one if you take it not to mean the long shots, but to mean manuver yourself (or trick your opponent) to get close and make your shots count.
WC4 is alot tougher. There are more than a few missions that seem unbeatable on nightmare (most notably the dead zone mission after the mercenary pilot is picked up for interogation - if you DONT buy that same guy a drink at the games beginning - so the mission is like twice as long...I have never heard of ANYONE beating that one on nightmare). I never beat 'em all, but I did find a "gimmick" way to beat a few of the "unbeatable" missions using the leech - there are a couple of occasions where if you leech a craft, waves of fighters that would ordinarily appear no longer do (and interestingly enough WILL appear if you kill the leeched craft instead of autopiloting out to complete the mission). Try this on the mission where the Bearcats defect to your side, and you will see what I mean. In WC4, you not only really NEED your missiles, you have to make each one count in the tough missions because the AI is so much more challenging. It's my vote for best game ever made.

The 4th level isn't 'Hero' (it is on Prophecy but not in WC3&4), I believe it's 'Hard'
smile.gif

And I usually get close to him (almost colide with him, I can her the shields taking damage from his ship) that my speed's not that importanat- I can accelarate as he's trying to run away.

------------------
Evilution!

Back