An original poll you say...well, how about this one

KilrathiSaga

Spaceman
How many of you appreciated and enjoyed Cloaked battles in WC: Armada and would you like to see tha technology available in possibly Freelancer or the next in the series?

Unique enough yet?

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

Ah, haven't seen a poll like this yet.
smile.gif

But... I haven't played Armada, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
frown.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played aramda, but not the add-on, but there are cloak battles galore in starlancer multiplayer. There's the invisibility power up and the hunt-the-shadow multiplayer arena. The power up comes in pretty damn handy sometimes and the hunt-the-shadow games are fun, if somewhat tiresome when you just can't find the damn shadow.
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Not much to comment about, but I didn`t find cloaked battles in Armada very enjoyable. Trying to find a cloaked enemy that decloaks only when he`s behind you, tends to be quite irritating.

I played Armada and Proving Grounds on the network a thousand times or so, and found the Shoklar is actually fairly useless. In the middle of combat, you don't really have time to switch to cloak - only the computer can really use the cloak efficiently. Most people tended to go for the mediums, most notably the Jrathek (my personal choice) and the Wraith (because of the Leeches).

So to answer your question, I couldn't care less about cloaks, because either they're completely useless or they're a pain in the butt. Which is not to say I don't think they should appear.

lol.
Cloaking can be useful, but only IF you know how to use it.

As long as you keep a keen eye on the starfields, you can spot them out from the distortion.

Or in hunt-the-shadow you just look for the area of space where ships unexplicably start blowing up (the shadow can shoot while cloaked) and then look for that distortion
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

In Armada, you only have to fly the heavy fighters and the enemy will die like flies.
With fast machines & graphics, its a mismatch. Could be the soso AI.
wink.gif

Hah. I've seen a friend of mine (I personally never managed this) take down a Banshee with an Arrow. And that was against a human pilot, not against AI.

Quarto: Well, I guess you have to be patient to pull something like that off.

I don't like the cloaks in the Starlancer multiplayer. They should've let the stealth fighter keep the cloak and not let any of the fighters have one.

Without the cloak, the stealth is kinda useless, and if a heavy gets a cloak beacon, it's not really that fair.

Well yes, you do need a bit of patience. But you don't really notice the time when you're on the tail of that great beast, and trying to stay there
smile.gif
. Because you know all too well that the moment the other guy shakes you off, you're dead meat. This is exactly what happened to me when I tried to take down a Banshee with my trusty Dralthi
smile.gif

Cricket: I fly the Shroud (the cloaker) almost all the time in deathmatches, except in one-on-ones. It's just a matter of preference. I like fast, nimble fighters. Get in, take out his shields and a bit of his armor, run like hell, rince and repeat.
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Cricket: Any chance of colliding with another stealth fighter? That should be the case, makes one stay alert for incoming.
Oops, pardon but your distortion is showing!
biggrin.gif

Andale! Let's dance!!!

No Regret said:
Cricket: I fly the Shroud (the cloaker) almost all the time in deathmatches, except in one-on-ones. It's just a matter of preference. I like fast, nimble fighters. Get in, take out his shields and a bit of his armor, run like hell, rince and repeat.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JoeyRP (edited June 26, 2000).]

No Regret: In the Shroud if you want to get all the way through the other guy's shields you have to hold your attack run for a while, since its guns don't do damage all that quickly. I find it makes you an easy target.

I like the Mirage better, you're agile, you got a bit of speed, and your guns are stronger, so a few quick shots is all you need to do damage.

Joey: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Well, the Shroud get's the job done for me. I seem to get 50 frags for only 3 deaths in it. It's probably just it's manouverebility. All the other guy's are flying heavier crates like the Phoenix, Wolverine or Mirage. I just circle them. Of coarse, if one of those Phoenixes gets me in his sights and scores a few hits he'll rip straight through my shield but I'm usually far away by then.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

What I meant was, have you ever encountered a stealth fighter while flying one also? And, what if you collided? In WC2 I've seen Strakhas explode after colliding with one another (inflight-replay)
smile.gif

Cricket said:
No Regret: In the Shroud if you want to get all the way through the other guy's shields you have to hold your attack run for a while, since its guns don't do damage all that quickly. I find it makes you an easy target.

I like the Mirage better, you're agile, you got a bit of speed, and your guns are stronger, so a few quick shots is all you need to do damage.

Joey: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Joey: Sorry, I don't always understand expressions. I've never seen that happen though.

No Regret: If you got a 50 to 3 kill ratio I guess it doesn't really matter what ship you fly. I usually get around 4 to 1 in the Mirage.

The shoklar wasn't useless. That cloak was usefull on getting behind them, firing off a capacitor's worth of guns, then recloaking. you just need the right tactics when cloaking. When cloaking start in any direction, then, when you are invisible, go the opposite. Newver failed for me.

------------------
Pretend to be a pig in order to eat the tiger.

Cricket: that's probably because I fly in the early evening when all the Germans are online.
redface.gif
(no offense to any Germans, but most SL playing Germans suck at it.) I've yet to try the middle of the night when the Americans and Canadians roam the SL multiplayer games.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Back