Amiga music available

Zohrath

Rear Admiral
I'm not sure it's been linked before, but I found a place with all the Wing Commander 1 Amiga music. I figured I should provide a location for those interested to get it. Since most music is available here at the CIC, perhaps this should be archived as well so it isn't lost? I'm not aware of any legal problems downloading it, if there is I guess someone will delete the link.

Go to http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soamc/soamc_mp3/Trackers_Games/Wing_Commander/

I downloaded the files with ORG in their name. Pretty high quality too, better than the .mod files I had since way back.

Outstanding! I still have my original Amiga boxed copy, but no longer the A600 system to play it. You've just provided me with an awesome half an hour of nostalgia! My first playing experience was on the Amiga, aged six years old in 1991, struggling to understand the keyboard controls and remembering infinite satisfaction at winning just a single mission.

By the time I got back into Wing Commander at the age of 11, I started it again entirely on IBM PC from then on out...completely forgot how much different the Amiga music is! I'm sorry to get so excited, but THIS is an awesome find!

Ejection music

There's an interesting tune in that list:
http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soam...Wing_Commander/mod.w.c.eject-lost_T01_ORG.mp3

It starts like the regular ejection music, but ends very grimly. In the DOS version of WC1, you're always rescued if you eject... even if the Tiger's Claw exploded. (The "With your carrier destroyed, you drift endlessly through the void..." ending only appears once all hostiles are dealt with - so if Kilrathi are present, you can let them destroy the Claw, then eject. I think the WC1&2 strategy guide states that this ending was a last-minute addition by one of the programmers, so it probably didn't get a lot of testing.) Your fate if you eject during Hell's Kitchen 4 is ambiguous, but the tune doesn't change. Despite the warnings about Dakhath, I've never had him shoot me either.

So, was there any way to hear this tune within the game? Did the Amiga WC1 allow you to be lost or captured after ejection? Or did the designers plan but never implement it a use for it?

I will say it one more time !

Amiga introduced me to WC and this is exciting !

The music and sfx were so good......

thanks for that Zohrath

Hi Peeps,

I'm Mark, the guy who did the arrangements for Wing Commander on the Amiga/CD32 back in 1992. It was actually my first fully paid game job when I was 19, so is very close to my heart. Glad to hear the positive comments about it. It was no mean feat getting that into the 4 channel Amiga, and with huge memory restrictions.

I've uploaded the original .mod files to my website, so you can all download from there. The file is under 2 meg, and they'll play in any of the tracker players/plugins (I think) although Oldsk00l for Winamp is recommended.

http://www.gamesounds.co.uk/audio/Mark_TDK_Knight_Wing_Commander_Amiga.rar

Cheers,

m

This is incredible! Thank you so much.

If you're still reading--did you work with Nick Pelling (who did the Amiga port) or was the music portion done independently? I looked him up a few years back to talk about his Amiga Wing Commander work and he seemed like a very nice guy.

This is incredible! Thank you so much.

If you're still reading--did you work with Nick Pelling (who did the Amiga port) or was the music portion done independently? I looked him up a few years back to talk about his Amiga Wing Commander work and he seemed like a very nice guy.

Yes, I was working directly with Nick. WC introduced us, and we went on to do Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on the Playstation too. He was one of my best men at my wedding too, a VERY nice genuine bloke.

m

Thank you for taking the time to relate your story. It's always great to hear from developers, no matter what their role was.

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I haven't listened to a .mod file since I found them on my old Syndicate Plus CD. Thanks so much for coming by and sharing with us...

There's an interesting tune in that list:
http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soam...Wing_Commander/mod.w.c.eject-lost_T01_ORG.mp3

It starts like the regular ejection music, but ends very grimly. In the DOS version of WC1, you're always rescued if you eject... even if the Tiger's Claw exploded. (The "With your carrier destroyed, you drift endlessly through the void..." ending only appears once all hostiles are dealt with - so if Kilrathi are present, you can let them destroy the Claw, then eject. I think the WC1&2 strategy guide states that this ending was a last-minute addition by one of the programmers, so it probably didn't get a lot of testing.) Your fate if you eject during Hell's Kitchen 4 is ambiguous, but the tune doesn't change. Despite the warnings about Dakhath, I've never had him shoot me either.

So, was there any way to hear this tune within the game? Did the Amiga WC1 allow you to be lost or captured after ejection? Or did the designers plan but never implement it a use for it?

That track is in both wing-1
(23-Eject-Lost in Space)
and the fm-towns soundtracks
(38_Wing_Commander_-_Eject-No Imminent_Rescue)
along with the swc midis as
eject-lo

I'm reasonably sure its in the normal wc music too though.

Oh and fantastic that an Origin veteran responded to this and gave us the mods!

Oh and fantastic that an Origin veteran responded to this and gave us the mods!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It was actually Mindscape in the UK who did the WC Amiga version. I guess they were contracted by Origin to do it as they had more Amiga expertise.

m

Back