AMGs

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
In the Victory Streaks manual, the Anti-Matter Gun is said to make up the secondary battery of most Confed capships, the laser turrets were a linked anti-fighter system, and Capship missiles were found only on the launch racks of older ships.

If AMGs were the most powerful energy weapons observed on capital ships, why would they be referred to as a secondary weapon system? What could the 'primary batteries' be?

The WC3 cruisers featured an array in the center-front of the ships, could this be some sort of beam weapon not shown in the games? Any ideas?

-Thanks

I think they might be talking about in terms of anti-fighter defense and not battles of the line.

In WC3 we see the addition of tachyon turrets and other weapons which might be seen as primary batteries...

I think there is an explanation for the array somewhere but I don't recall it if there is one off the top of my head.

Again the search function can be an incredible resouce...

Primary batteries may be larger plasma weapons - but in the case of Victory Streak it probably is referring to the anti-fighter weaponry (point defense lasers and so forth).

They could have been secondary in the sense that they weren't the main armament of the Victory. That would have been her fighter complement, although that isn't usually referred to as a primary battery. A battery doesn't have to consist of guns (for example, a Patriot missile battery); most plausibly, I think it might refer to the capship missile racks, since if the Victory were caught without fighter cover, it would presumably empty the capship missile racks first before resorting to an AMG duel at knife range (which it would presumably lose real quick). I don't think it would refer to the point defense turrets, as point defense weapons are never really considered primary (as they aren't offensive weapons).

It would lose it very, very quickly since it doesn't have any! The Victory's only weapons are her fighters, the capship missile launcher, and her point defense lasers.

Back