Almost like Strike Commander footage . . .

st3lt3k

Rear Admiral

Here is vrflyer's description:
A micro camera is installed onboard an r/c plane F-16. The camera transmit live the video to ground and I wear video goggle to fly the plane in real time like if I was in the cockpit. The camera replace the head of the pilot and the movement of the cam is control by the movement of my head on ground via a head mount gyroscope (head tracker)

The whole system cost me around $1500 including the plane. But it is many hours of hand made modifcation. You can start with simpler video system that cost around $500 and install it on your own r/c plane. Search for FPV on the web for more info about my hobby. I'm am the founder of FPV,

Cool! Speaking of Strike Commander--did anyone remember that the game was set *THIS YEAR*? July, 2011!

We're living in the future...

Wow, that's crazy. I remember thinking that 2011 was SO far away when I was playing it. I guess compared to the SC gloom secenario, we're doing well...

But I guess compared to my former self, I'm old. Hmm - I think I'd sacrifice nation states for being eternally young (and making my living as a merc pilot!)

EDIT - after watching the video, I was really impressed. It reminds me of the one attempt I made at getting into RC aviation. Being a pilot in the real world, I thought the best way to enjoy an RC plane would be to mount a camera from which I could obtain a pilot's perspective of the craft.

I was subsequently laughed out of every RC club and hobby shop I pitched the idea too. So much for finding a supporting community. I thought it strange that the pervading feeling within the hobby (at least in my area) was one of elitist snobbery. The experience stood in stark contrast to all of my other interests - and to flying in the real world!

Long story short, my hat is off to you - that's the way it should be done!

Whoa, didn't know that. That's a reason as good as any to replay it. I wonder if it will end up on GOG, maybe packed with Wings of Honor and Pacific Strike.

Well, future has been bizarre since "SPACE: 1999".

Back