All white background when using DRI

yez

Spaceman
When i run privateer 009d with DRI activated, it messes up the colors. Looks like its negative colors... When I deactivate DRI, everything is ok, but really really slow...

Vegastrike runs fine, so I don't think it's the hardware at fault...
I thought it might be something like gamma, but can't find any conf settings.
Any suggestions would be most welcome :)

gosh...what does glxgears look like with DRI. Have you tried any other OpenGL games on your linux system?

what video hardware do you have?

I've only got exprience with nVidia, but I have anecdotal evidence that ATI's closed-source drivers work.

Clearly it's somewhere between the drivers and the hardware... because if changing out the drivers underneath vegastrike "fixes" the problem at the cost of speed--then clearly vega strike is sending the correct signal...

but it could be some sort of gamma or other problem.

Some ATI pals told me that disabling the R200_Codegen variable may fix your issues...but I don't know personally what that's about--you'd have to google it

Another idea: maybe your video card is out of ram

a convenient way to fix that would be to edit ~/.privateer009/vegastrike.config and
change all max_texture_dimension values to 256
(you can try 512 later acfter this fixes it)
change any instance of max_texture_dimension var to look like

<var name="max_texture_dimension" value="256"/>

there may be 4 or 5 of them

I have a Radeon M7 LW (7500 mobility) AFAIK ATI's closed source drivers doesn't work with this card...

glxgears? Well with DRI they rotate so fast, that they almost dont seem to move .-)
I wish I had an Nvidia chipset, but most opengl games work just fine (although a bit slow sometimes) with this radeon. Americas Army and UT2004 did not work, because of graphics glitches...

Output from dmesg:
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on minor 0: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

Videoram: Thanks I'll try that...

Btw. I tried to run vegastrike(not the binary in the install, but a previesly installed one...) with the privateer data directory and selection a mission from privateer... It didn't work... Here's the error:

CommXML:LoadXML privtoconfed.xml
vegastrike: communication_xml.cpp:135: void FSM::LoadXML(const char*): Assertion `0' failed.

I have no idea if this should/could work ?

you need the most recent version to run privateer.
it shouldn't change the speed/color at which things run

try the R200_Codegen thing--but that may only be for closed source drivers.
Shame that ATI doesn't make drivers for *all* their cards

Well the r200_codegen thingy.... I googled around a bit, but couldn't seem to find any usefull info... And if it only works with ATI's drivers, then it would not work for me since the ATI drivers does not support my card... :-(

I tried setting the max_texture_dimension to 256, in all instances. That didn't work either... Although I'm sure the problem I have, has something to do with textures... Since there aren't any...

I run gentoo, and had simply emerged vegastrike... In the latest version, I hope. The man page says version 0.2.9.2 ... And somewhere in the game it says 0.4 ... Well needless to say I was a bit confused... So I grabbed the latest sources and compiled manually...

Same problem... I now have 3 vegastrike binaries, possibly different versions... All show exactly the same symptoms...

To top it all off. I managed to mess up my working vegastrike configuration, so that vegastrike also have the same problem! I think what caused this was using the privateer config, but with original vegastrike data-dir.

Attachments

• priv1.jpg
    priv1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 74
is it possible you set things to be in "retro mode"

you could try setting it to retro mode to see what happens using the configurator

ya the config files are not compatible--that version is too old to be using a modern config file

After lookin at that screenshot a bit more you can try one other thing

you can change

var name="background" value="true"
to
var name="background" value="false"

that'll at least make for a black background
but as for why textures aren't loading... it is a mystery

retro mode will at least turn off some textures that get in the way--but it really won't be very pretty especially in the bases...
how do the bases look? like sno white in a snow storm?

Tried all modes... window/fullscreen ... 16/32 bit color .... different resolutions ... different shaders... Well everything... I think...

I can't really see any difference at all, when i change the modes or shaders...

As for the bases... When I enter the game everything is white. I can see my mouse curser as a big square box (when I manage to find a dark area... :))

I forgot to mention this, but the first symptom is when the game loads, a white box covering almost the entire screen appears (loading screen?)... I can still see the text in the lower left corner (loading this, loading that... )

When I run the game in xinerama mode (without DRI) theres no problem...

Attachments

• priv2.jpg
    priv2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 75
I use at least 3 different routines to load textures. 2 of 3 work on all video cards and the last works on all the major vendors (matrox, nvidia, ATI, 3dfx).
Clearly there must be a driver bug disallowing textures to be loaded period. Perhaps you can talk to the DRI folks about this. I would be happy to work with them to figure out the problem, but this is 100% surely not my fault. I'd be willing to bet a small tropical island on this one.

have you tried the firegl drivers?

i got them running in slackware and suse

(slackware needed a patch, suse went out of hte box)

from my experience with that whole deal, i pretty much noticed that all the cards can get 3d accel to some extent. older cards have support in X, newer ones with the binary drivers.

you should be able to adjust the content of the driver<->os modules, and make the appropriate source changes. I personally don't know what they are, i got my patches from some dude on a forum that made his card work. *maybe* there is someone else out there that has patched the driver module code for your chipset...

-scheherazade

The firegl drivers does not support my card.. sadly...

I am gonna try with an older kernel... To see if a change in driver does anything...

BTW, I can't seem to find the stderr.txt or stdout.txt ? I assume that stdout.txt is the output from the running program. In that output there's some "unsupported" stuff when opengl is loaded.

WARNING: no var named SmoothShade in section graphics using default: true
WARNING: no var named s3tc in section graphics using default: true
WARNING: no var named UseShipTextures in section graphics using default: false
WARNING: no var named UsePlanetTextures in section graphics using default: false
WARNING: no var named UseVSSprites in section graphics using default: true
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt unsupported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported

I notice that s3tc is unsupported, but is activated be default... Is this a problem?

Anyway I'll be hacking configuration files tonight .-)

interesting... that could be it...but I believe it turns off the texture compression if it's not supported... since it did check

but heck its' worth a shot--turn off the texture compression in vegastrike.config
that should be in ~/.privateer009/vegastrike.config

Yep, turning off texture compression worked like a charm :)

Now all I have to do is tweak the conf, so that the framerate doesn't drop to around 1-2 when I'm in a system with an asteroid field...

Ahh it looks so nice with textures n' all .-)

you rock yez!

definitely turn off the force lighting parameter...that really slows things down in an asteroid field

at worst you can delete the asteroid texture or I can tell you how to make the mesh use a different (nonexistant) one

Finally :)

Figured out that the main drain of my FPS, is the background image of space...

Use this to turn off the pretty background ... (set it in whatever section you use ie. TNT, GeForce2 ...)
<var name="background" value="false"/>

And this if you want an other then black bgcolor...
<color name="space_background" ref="dark-blue" section="absolute"/>

Now I can fly through an asteroid field with an amazing 25 FPS *minimum* :)

Thanks for your help helcatv, much appreciated .-)

yez << wierd that hte firegl frivers wouldn't support your card. ATI's drivers (along with nvidia's) are unified and all inclusive. they should work with every card they ever made (aside form legacy pci stuff).

-scheherazad

Back