All Angel Wanted (November 3, 2009)

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Inspired by recent efforts to extract video from the Playstation version of Wing Commander 3, the CIC's own AD set out to put together an interesting music video showcasing some of that effort. In his latest creation, AD explores the emotional consequences of Blair learning Angel's fate. Themes of love, loss, and revenge are paired with the tune All I Wanted, by Paramore.

Sometimes when I set out to make a music video, the end result is a sort of happy accident... a collision of cohesive elements that make up the whole. I actually set out to make a video of Flint and Blair with this one, maybe focusing on Blair turning to her in his loss. I didn't even think there was really enough of Angel in Heart of the Tiger to base a music video around.

The actual opening of the video with Blair drinking and getting into the fighter kind of remained the same throughout the process, but after I had pieced together a good minute or so, I realized that I really wanted to end up in a different place. Flint isn't really in this video much at all now. I think I did leave in a reaction shot of her during a funeral sequence, which I thought was nice.

Get the 50MB divx here.

--
Original update published on November 3, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely Done

Great Job AD! Really enjoyed the vid.

I completely agree with there being too little footage / story of angel in WC3, especially with her being so prominent in the WC1 and WC2 campaigns.

Still amazes me how long the wing commander community has kept going strong, no doubt due to efforts such as this vid, Wcnews, standoff and all the other fan projects / collaborations.

Anyways, well done again!

That was very entertaining, nice job. I noticed the 'follow you' while they were holding hands and Angel was leading him to a spot.

It might also be interesting to make one connecting scenes of WC3 Blair remembering Angel, and scenes of her in the Wing Commander movie. Of course they don't look very much like they do in the corresponding vids, but maybe you could only show WC3 Blair without showing Movie Blair (except for the back of Prinze Jr.'s head) and show WCM Angel without showing WC3 Angel (except for perhaps the back of her head).

It might be interesting to see a video connecting the different movies.. maybe even a 'traitor' video.. Show the mistrust of Pilgrims from the movie, mistrust of Kilrathi in WC3, traitorous accusations from WC4, maybe even show some clips of WC2 and add ons.

Finally got round to downloading it. Nice editing work.

I thought it was rather odd of you to speak of yourself in the third person, though. Perhaps that's the way it should be on the news page.

Finally got round to downloading it. Nice editing work.

I thought it was rather odd of you to speak of yourself in the third person, though. Perhaps that's the way it should be on the news page.

Hehehehe yeah. That *is* the main page update... but since I forgot to switch who the news editor attributes the update to to "CIC" the other day,when someone commented on it, it automatically got attributed to me when the CZ automatically created the thread.

Thanks for the comments though guys. I appreciate it. My main reason for not mixing footage from different games is that the quality level of the various sources is all over the board. THe movie production values are quite different than the games. Then we have DVD versus the other game formats... they wouldn't necessarily gel that well, but It's an interesting thought that I admit to having toyed with a little.

Aside from picking a song I like (heck, you better like the song when editing since you will be listening to it a bazillion times during the editing process) my main concern is always thematic and or narative. I usually come up with some kind of story or idea that I want to tell and if that comes across even just a little, then I'm happy.

Back