Action Stations and Space Points

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
Well, I have recently finished Action Stations and had few questions:

1. Banbridge - In 2634 he is the chief of staff for the fleet, but by End Run he is just another fleet commanding admiral - how come? was he demoted?

2. Kruger - at the end he crushes his frigate on Fewcett's world - what's next? or at least what was planned for the next novel?

1. Banbridge's movement probably has something to do with the fact that AS is set right before the war is in full swing. His skills were probably better used on the line.

2. He raises 10 kinds of hell for the Kilrathi on planet before being rescued. Then continues to be Kruger, kicking ass and not bothering to learn names.

1. Banbridge - In 2634 he is the chief of staff for the fleet, but by End Run he is just another fleet commanding admiral - how come? was he demoted?

It's hard to say. Obviously, the idea for the character needs to be that he's a sympathetic 'fighting admiral' rather than a paper-pusher... but even in Fleet Action we see him in both roles. He's commanding the 3rd Fleet *and* he's on the Joint Chiefs (but he's not CNCCNFDFLT there, either... and Space Marshall Gregarov seems to have that job in 2654...)

There was a thread about this recently and I think the general consensus was that he just couldn't stay commander of the fleet for a thirty year war that wasn't being won... because it would become necessary for politicians to blame *someone* for mistakes made. Look at how many generals President Lincoln went through in the Civil War... or how many President Bush has had in command in Iraq today.

2. Kruger - at the end he crushes his frigate on Fewcett's world - what's next? or at least what was planned for the next novel?

Kruger spends some years on the Kilrathi planet conducting raids until he's eventually rescued and returns home a hero.

Contrary to popular belief there wasn't a second prequel book planned, although basing one around the Enyo Engagement seems like it would write itself. The concept for the end of Action Stations was supposed to put each character in an apparent position for their later destinies - Kruger is on the planet because we hear that that's where his backstory starts in Fleet Action (and it's reiterated in False Colors.) The effect was kind of ruined by continuity editing in Tolwyn's case, though - instead of being put in place to command *the* Concordia, the ship gets scuttled and we get a line about how maybe he'll command a different Concordia someday.

and what about the space point?

Yeah, yeah, don't beg, I'll get to all the new threads. Space Point.

He's commanding the 3rd Fleet *and* he's on the Joint Chiefs (but he's not CNCCNFDFLT there, either... and Space Marshall Gregarov seems to have that job in 2654...)

is he not the CNC in 2634? you got me a bit confussed...:( could you elaborate please?
and who is admiral Gregarov of 2654? where is he mentioned?

There was a thread about this recently and I think the general consensus was that he just couldn't stay commander of the fleet for a thirty year war that wasn't being won... because it would become necessary for politicians to blame *someone* for mistakes made. Look at how many generals President Lincoln went through in the Civil War... or how many President Bush has had in command in Iraq today.

Well, Lincoln did have a bunch of idiots as chiefs-of-staff, until grant at least.
And Bush...well...

Kruger spends some years on the Kilrathi planet conducting raids until he's eventually rescued and returns home a hero.

Contrary to popular belief there wasn't a second prequel book planned, although basing one around the Enyo Engagement seems like it would write itself. The concept for the end of Action Stations was supposed to put each character in an apparent position for their later destinies - Kruger is on the planet because we hear that that's where his backstory starts in Fleet Action (and it's reiterated in False Colors.) The effect was kind of ruined by continuity editing in Tolwyn's case, though - instead of being put in place to command *the* Concordia, the ship gets scuttled and we get a line about how maybe he'll command a different Concordia someday.

That could made into an interesting fan-fiction project

Yeah, yeah, don't beg, I'll get to all the new threads. Space Point.

:D:D

is he not the CNC in 2634? you got me a bit confussed... could you elaborate please?
and who is admiral Gregarov of 2654? where is he mentioned?

Sorry - he *is* the CNC in 2634 (in Action Stations)... but he isn't in Fleet Action. In that book the CNC is Admiral Noragami.

Space Marshall Gregarov (a she - Sandra Gregarov) commands the fleet in Pilgrim Stars... but I don't think she escapes that crisis with her career intact.

Well, Lincoln did have a bunch of idiots as chiefs-of-staff, until grant at least.
And Bush...well...

We only ever see Banbridge through the eyes of Tolwyn, who was completely loyal to his mentor... in truth, Banbridge's career involves presiding over the largest naval disaster and biggest loss of human life to that point in history -- and he certainly doesn't turn that situation around.

Shouldn't that be 'Gregarova' if we're following the Russian patronymic naming tradition? Slight nitpick, I know.

I suspect Banbridge survived the McAuliffe ambush intact, career-wise, given how he'd argued with the civilian government about things and called an alert during Confederation day... but at the same time, he probably got shuffled off to something else shortly thereafter, given how bad the war was going. He sure wouldn't have survived the Enyo Engagement intact with the taking of hostages; look at how Tolwyn ended up after the Behemoth incident.

Shouldn't that be 'Gregarova' if we're following the Russian patronymic naming tradition? Slight nitpick, I know

Err, no, just because a name sounds like it could be Russian doesn't mean it is. Her name is Sandra Gregarov.

Back