About Privateer II

I know that. It's just I never saw any connections, PLUS I didn't like the game. That isn't the reason why I didn't think it was a WC game.

Why didn't you like it? It was much better than P1 IMO.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

In what way was it better than P1? P1 allowed you more freedom, and IMHO had better missions...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Better missions? P2 althought doesen't have a random mission generator (if it does have one it's doing a poor job) has much better missions. Although Privateer series aren't about story, P2 had a great one, I like the whole interface, the e-mail. In P1 all missions including the plot missions were very repatative. You have much more ships to chose from, and more cooler modules. You can hire a transport, which means you can finaly make some money for shiping cargo. You can hire wingman for the tougher missions. And about freedom, yes P1 did have more, but in there you landed on a planet, and nothing happened. In P2 some missions other than plot missions have cutscenes so even if the plot is over you still can talk to someone. New ships, weapons and modules become available when you read the news buletins. There's lots of new features that make P2 better.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

You could always talk to the barkeep... You could make a lot of money trading if you know how to do it. I felt that the missions were quite good, from avoiding Militia to searching for pirates, to moving books... I wouldn't say that moving books is a normal type of mission... The story in P1 and RF were good and you didn't see what was going to happen next... And it had the great freedom to do anything...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Yeah and the barkeep looked almost the same on most planets and stations, and always said the same things. Story in P1 although small was OK, but story in RF was prety lame. I mean the whole thing is centered around you looking for the steltek cannon that was stolen from you, while there are better guns around. Why would you look for it, revange? And what about missions in P2 like the one to save the senators daughter, you have to solve the math puzles and the mission to save the prison ship, pays a lot but is hard as hell, there are many more. I like P1 but P2 was better IMO. I hope Origin will take the best things from both Privateers and put them into POL. I also want a lot of new cool stuff.

------------------

The barkeep didn't always say the same thing... He said different things depending on where you were in the plot, what base you were on and what type of base it was.

Math problems??? It's supposed to be a space simulator, not a bad RPG... Math problem type questions are the type of things that give RPGs bad reviews... You think that adds something to a space sim somehow?
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Last edited by a moderator:
It does make a cool mission. And the barkeep said the same thing about a Kilrathi fleet being lost somewhere, (destroyed by the Steltek drone) or that I should go to Oxford or whatever cause there's alot of money to be made. The same things over and over again.

------------------

Actually, the Steltek Gun was basically the best gun available. That's one reason to search for it. Revenge, like you said, is another, and it certainly does make sense. Think about it. We spent most of P1 working to get that gun. We faced hundreds of Kilrathi, Bounty Hunters, Pirates, Retros, and even Militia, just to get that gun. And then some Retro freak goes and steals it? That most certainly wouldn't go down well. What I do think is silly though, is that in the end, you got revange but you didn't get your gun.
Incidentally, I've been prowling through P1 files. Damn, but that game would have been twice as great, had they spent more time on it. Apparently, there was also supposed to be a whole set of random "special" missions, for example Militia-killing, spying, etc.

Realy? Any chance someone could finish Origins work?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 21, 2000).]

Unfourtunatley there aren't many fans with a knowledge of privateer workings... If enough people could be banded together (or some tried to learn) then anything is possible but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

I seriously doubt it. The text for such missions is there, but the code probably isn't (otherwise, they'd be in the game). It would probably be easier (!!) to make a new Privateer. And I just don't see _that_ happening.
What could be done though, is to make new storyline missions. That, however, would also take _incredible_ amounts of work, since there are no mission editors for P1. Even HCl didn't get around to doing that (although he did make a mission or two by editing the file with a hex editor).

Even P2 repeats missions. I played it so much that it began to repeat the random missions.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

klaus- but the random missions in P2 were cool. Random missions in P1 were either patrol a given number of navpoints in this system, go to this and this system and kill this guy. Or help defend some station. Some missions in P2 are similare to those, yet different in many ways. On one bounty mission in P2 I was to kill a guy, when I finaly found him he sent me an e-mail telling me that the guy that hired me is the bad guy and that he'll pay me more if I go and kill him. Twists like that add something to the gameplay.

------------------

I've always wondered what the deal was with the Talon in P2. I played the mission with the "mystery ship" in it, but i just blew it up, got a nice ship kill bonus and moved on. Did i miss a big subplot in the game, or was this just an Easter egg Origin put in?

It was just the part of the mission. You have to pick up the pilot that ejected from it and get him back to the CIS.

------------------

Back