A question about General Relativity

Anagram

Spaceman
I was flying around in a Wasp the other day, when I realised that the booster takes you to a speed of exactly 3000 kps, or 3 million metres per second... This is 1 % of the speed of light..... Doesn't relativity start affecting you about then?

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

No, it doesn´t. You can even travel at 50% of the speed of light
smile.gif

------------------
"When my lifeis on the line, I whant A wingman I can trust".

Col. Blair to Hobbes (WC3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Asterix said:
No, it doesn´t. You can even travel at 50% of the speed of light
smile.gif

Originally posted by Death's Head:
Any abnormal slowing down that occurs to you and your ship is just lag.
smile.gif

Seriously... Don't relativistic effects (such as people not near you growing real old real quick) start taking effect when you hit speeds of that magnitude?

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Anagram said:
Seriously... Don't relativistic effects (such as people not near you growing real old real quick) start taking effect when you hit speeds of that magnitude?

I don’t know about that, but supposedly speed in WC drops from KPS to MPS when the ship encounters something that could be potentially dangerous, like asteroids, mines, or other ships.

So the Wasp would be traveling at 3,000 MPS. However, ships in WC can go to speds higher than 3,000 KPS with the fuel scops closed (the Tarawa in End Run went over 10,000 KPS), but we never witnes that in the games.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 07, 2000).]

Dheu ? What you mean the wasp would go at 3 KPS ?
tongue.gif
That's what 3000 MPS is. You're wrong Eartworm. The wasp goes to 3000 KPS and it is 1 percent of the speed of light. Not that it should have any effect anyway...

mass
Î
|
|                     |
|                     ;
|                    /
|................-=^
|
+---------------------+ > speed
                       |
         lightspeed/

Please don't be too critic, it's ASCII art
smile.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete

The WC Source Code Release Project needs YOU !

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited April 07, 2000).]

PopsiclePete said:
Dheu ? What you mean the wasp would go at 3 KPS ?
tongue.gif
That's what 3000 MPS is. You're wrong Eartworm. The wasp goes to 3000 KPS

But then you would be able to fly past the Midway in about .006 seconds..... If it's meaters it still won't fit, but it'll be much closer. And 3 KPS will be 180 KPH, while 3,000 KPS would be 180,000 KPH. It would be imposible for a pilot to fight at that speed.

So they messed up the units a bit. No big deal. And you have to travel at near light speeds for relativistic effects to become apparent. And Anagram you mean SPECIAL relativity. General relativity has to do with gravity. Special on the other hand is just the moving-at-near light speeds stuff
smile.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Heu, Earthworm ? 180 KPH you say ? This gives 112,5 miles per hour. I sometimes drive my CAR to that speed
smile.gif
What an effective Solid Rocket Booster the Wasp has !
wink.gif

You know how fast the space shuttle orbits the earth ? You know how fast the Apollo astronauts went to the moon ? It IS possible for a pilot to go at that speed, since the G's are due to acceleration, not speed. We could compare with the stress a SR-71 BlackBird jet pilot had.

------------------
PopsiclePete

E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

PopsiclePete said:
Heu, Earthworm ? 180 KPH you say ? This gives 112,5 miles per hour. I sometimes drive my CAR to that speed
smile.gif
What an effective Solid Rocket Booster the Wasp has !
wink.gif

Try driving let's say 300 MPH and see if you can stear enough to make a sharp turn.

You know how fast the space shuttle orbits the earth ? You know how fast the Apollo astronauts went to the moon ? It IS possible for a pilot to go at that speed, since the G's are due to acceleration, not speed. We could compare with the stress a SR-71 BlackBird jet pilot had.

I said it would be imposible to fight at that spead. The Wasp does fly 3,000 KPS if there isn't anything near it. It can even go much faster than 3,000 KPS, but it would be imposible for it to fight or avoid colisions with anything that can be in space. If any of the WC fighters were flying at about 500 KPS while in combat they would be ziping around each other without fighting.

180? Earthworm, you should take a maths lesson
smile.gif

3KPS = 180KPM = 10800KPH

Is that better, Pete
smile.gif
?

I'm taking plenty of math lessons Quarto.
smile.gif

Even than it'll be posible to fight. How would you expect to fight at a spead of 3,000 KPS? It's going to be 10800000 KPH.

Shouldn't everything be measured relative to one another? You might be moving really fast but then so are other ships so they have the same handicap you have. So you'd still be able to dog fight. And they use retro rockets in space to turn and stuff. It's not like driving a car. It's not much like anything on a planet for that matter.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

PopsiclePete said:
The wasp goes to 3000 KPS and it is 1 percent of the speed of light.

Actually, I was wrong... Missed a decimal place... 3000 kps is 3*10^7 m/s, and so it is 10 % of the speed of light... And so Special Relativity SHOULD have something to do with the Wasp's burner... My bad...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Anagram (edited April 10, 2000).]

Anagram:
As I tried to explain to explain with my little graph, as the effect of approching infinitely close to the speed of light, your mass would approach the infinite. If I can recall, it wasn't before you got 94% of the lightspeed before the effects begins to show (you have to pull a lot of maths to get the numbers, and it's been a while since I calculated that (with my chemistry teacher) son I wouldn't do it again
smile.gif

mass
Î
|
|                     |
|                     ;
|                    /
|................-=^
|
+--|------------------|-->speed
  10%               |
                 lightspeed

Everybody else:
Ok, ok... I should have done my own maths, I relyed on the numbers you gave me. I agree it would be impossible to fight in the Wasp at 3000KPS in real life. But sincerely I can't, even in the game
smile.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited April 10, 2000).]

steampunk said:
And they use retro rockets in space to turn and stuff. It's not like driving a car. It's not much like anything on a planet for that matter.

But it's not how they do it in WCU....
smile.gif

While the fuel scoops are open they use the scoop field for turning. Only when they close down the scoops they use thrusters on the ships to turn, therefore wasting a lot of fuel without gathering any in return.

Earthworm said:
smile.gif

While the fuel scoops are open they use the scoop field for turning. Only when they close down the scoops they use thrusters on the ships to turn, therefore wasting a lot of fuel without gathering any in return.

I might not fully grasp what you said EW, but Privateer used thrusters all around the ship to make you move. You can feel the bad aspects of that in you get your thusters damaged on on side and therefore cannot turn on the side opposed to the damaged thrusters. (Your left thrusters are damaged ? Can't turn right)

------------------
PopsiclePete

Earthworm said:
Try driving let's say 300 MPH and see if you can stear enough to make a sharp turn.

Ok, If you are going that fast in a wasp, you're not going to try to turn. Same as in a car, you only wind it out if you are on a staight strech. Who taught you to drive/fly? In a Wasp, you aim where you are going, and then hit the booster. You don't mash it and then try to turn.

I said it would be imposible to fight at that spead. The Wasp does fly 3,000 KPS if there isn't anything near it. It can even go much faster than 3,000 KPS, but it would be imposible for it to fight or avoid collisions with anything that can be in space. If any of the WC fighters were flying at about 500 KPS while in combat they would be ziping around each other without fighting.

OK, #1, like I said above, you're not supposed to fight going 3000 KPS, that's ment to get you to the fight, not power you around it. And even at that speed, your handling wouldn't be impaired to hte point where you wouldn't be able to miss anything huge. And if there's anything that hard to miss in your way, you don't need to engage it anyway. And according to rough figures, 500 KPS is roughly like 250-350 MPH, and when you figure that the lasers have a range of several miles, missles even more so, there'd be alot of fighting that could happen. If you really want to get technical, why don't laser's move at the speed of light, since they are just amplified light beams? If someone could explain that, it'd help. And if someone says that it's for gameplay, I'll track you down and......nevermind
wink.gif
J/K.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Earthworm said:
smile.gif

Ok, I missed this on my first pass of the top of that post. You're fuel scoops are open (from what I take) full blast all the time. They're not going to help you turn, other than keeping you from continually moving in one direction for eternity. You're thrusters manuver you ship around, and your main engines push you in that direction that you are facing. I'd imagine that's how it works 600 years into the future, since that's how the space shuttle and Mir works now.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Back