A little tip for if your launcher automatic update never starts.

-danr-

Vice Admiral
After days of frustration, having not been able to fly the Cygnus rescue mission (Crossbow jump and crash problem) I've finally realised why my Standoff Launcher wasn't checking for the update patch.

*I am not responsible for any damage this may cause your system, nor do I advocate connecting to the internet without proper anti-virus or firewall protection*

But for me, it was simply a matter of telling Norton to 'disable internet security' then restarting the launcher, seems my firewall was blocking the update the whole time.

The download update option appeared right away, and now the problem has been fixed thanks to the latest patch - thanks for that by the way guys, fantastic after-market service for a free game ;)

Anyway, worked for me, just wanted to share that incase anybody else was having the same problem.

Well, yeah, every decent Firewall should by default be set to warn you if a program is blocked, I guess :p

You can set an exception for the Standoff Launcher in your firewall settings instead of disabling it altogether, I guess.

Yeah I think the easier method is to go into your firewall and choose exceptions. Just make one for Standoff Launcher.exe...not sure if you would need to to do one for Standoff.exe in order to send sim scores to the CIC...

It is fortunate I didn't get a good score the first time I tried the simulator. I think my firewall asking if I wanted to allow the connection and the subsequent time I took to respond in the affirmative caused the game to give up on the transmission.

Back